• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
The heat + climate control is noticeable here. I crack the windows in the morning (65-75F) no climate control, 500ft drop in elevation to work, avg 2.9-3.0 m/kWh. On the way home, climate control on (90-100F), 500ft gain, slower traffic, avg 2.4-2.5 m/kWh.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Great brochure. Should have been sent electronically to every Ford EV owner.

PV2EV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Chevy Volt, 2006 Kubota L39, 2006 Suzuki Eige
I still can't believe how cumbersome it is to setup for a one off long range trip! @Ford, please give us a "Next Departure" button on Fordpass and the truck screen so I can setup a one time 100% charge and departure time, instead of having to delete a recurring one!

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
"Use “Normal” drive mode with One-Pedal Driving Mode to increase regenerative braking to help recover more energy to the battery"

That should solve some debates on the forum.

Good information! Thank you. Things that stood out to me were a 19% loss when driving at 75mph vs 65mph and Normal with 1PD is best for efficiency due to regenerative braking.

Sponsored

Simpso57

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150 Lightning
For most drivers, “Normal” drive mode with One-Pedal Driving Mode is best. If you have driven EVs a long time and understand how to feather the brake pedal and other tricks, one-pedal is not ideal. To each his own.

Skidrowe

First Name
Gideon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning ER, 2014 Honda Pilot
For most drivers, “Normal” drive mode with One-Pedal Driving Mode is best. If you have driven EVs a long time and understand how to feather the brake pedal and other tricks, one-pedal is not ideal. To each his own.
I just assume that it's targeted at the segment of drivers who drive with their phone in their hand in heavy traffic and constantly smash the brakes to keep from hitting the vehicle in front of them.

Amps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt
A 'Precondition Battery For DC Fast Charging' button or setting in the display would really be nice. They could even include a little info blob to let you know what it does. It's hard to assume the truck is going to do it on its own through the nav system.

Amps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt
"Use “Normal” drive mode with One-Pedal Driving Mode to increase regenerative braking to help recover more energy to the battery"

That should solve some debates on the forum.
It also says to use the recirculate feature to save energy during heating season. I wonder if they know it automatically reverts to bringing in ambient temperature air all by itself?

Their credibility is weakened! Highway coasting forever! :whistle:

Sponsored

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
This seems to be assuming all EVs have the same motors, same friction brake regen systems, and same electronics.

I would assume that regen in a Tesla or a Bolt is not the same as regen in a Lightning.

An example, is early on Ford made some adjustments to the sensitivity of 1PD mode in both the Mach-E and Lightning. Those adjustments would affect regen.

I will say, it would be nice to have some numbers to back up what Ford is saying.

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
I wonder if they know it automatically reverts to bringing in ambient temperature air all by itself?
Yeah, this is frustrating.

I read somewhere it had to do with how quickly the vehicle fogs up. If that is the case it would be nice if reverting to ambient air could be tied to a defrost setting.

CdnCGM23

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Military
Yup, using my heated seats for warmth will work wonders for keeping the windshield frost free!

Simpso57

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150 Lightning
This seems to be assuming all EVs have the same motors, same friction brake regen systems, and same electronics.

I would assume that regen in a Tesla or a Bolt is not the same as regen in a Lightning.

An example, is early on Ford made some adjustments to the sensitivity of 1PD mode in both the Mach-E and Lightning. Those adjustments would affect regen.

I will say, it would be nice to have some numbers to back up what Ford is saying.
All fair points. Could be wrong.

The argument is essentially that one-pedal driving involves energy losses both when decelerating and accelerating. So it's better to allow the car to continue coasting after the driver removes their foot from the accelerator pedal, and add regenerative braking only when it's actually time to decelerate.

I have read it is about a 15% energy loss between coasting v. regen. But most people brake too much, so they don't get the full benefits of coasting. That is why it probably comes down to how you drive. It can also be annoying to other drivers if you are trying to coast everywhere.

BoomerRocco

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 F-150 5.0, 2023 Lightning Pro
This is great info and better late than never.

While this is targeted at commercial customers, it seems like something that would have been useful prior to ordering especially for us EV newbies. It wouldn't have changed my mind, but more detailed estimates like the towing, speed, and weather impact would be good to have as a heads up rather than Ford's generic notice like "towing will impact range".

I also didn't realize that warm weather would have an impact. All the early reviews seemed to focus on cold weather. I figured no big deal since it doesn't usually freeze here. But even at a mild 85 degrees kicks on some fan before leaving.
Sponsored