• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Peter P

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Ranger XLT
Saw this informational post at Macheforum.com:

As of today, December 2nd 2022, ALL Ford EV Certified dealers must be fully compliant with current Next-Gen EV certification requirements from Ford (see below). This means from this day forward, no one should be turned down for service at a EV Certified dealer due to lack of L2 chargers, service tools, battery handling equipment, or EV trained technicians. If an EV certified dealer can't service a Ford EV, there are no more excuses or postponements, they are not in compliance (and I recommend reporting this to Ford).​
In addition, today is also the last day for dealers sign up for the new Model e program, which will be required by 2024 in order to sell Ford EVs. If not, the next opportunity for dealers to join Model e will be in 2025 for a 2027 start. There are two certification tiers, a standard and an elite with additional requirements (see below). Dealers have to make the big decision whether they will invest six- or seven-figure sums of money in the charging infrastructure required to be a future Ford EV dealer. For many, this will be too much of a hurdle and they will cease selling EVs in 2024. I hope Ford publishes a list of Model e dealers in the coming months so we know where our current dealers' loyalties lie. I no longer wish to bother with any dealer that isn't "all-in" with EVs moving forward. I don't want mechanics or service managers that hate EVs working on my vehicle. I don't want salesmen that know next to nothing about EVs trying to spew lies about them to me. I want to deal with people that have actually chosen to work with EVs. And I want an online order system that ensures price transparency at every step of the transaction, from initial order to final signing so there are no surprises. That's how it should have been all along.​
Ford Next-Generation EV Certification Requirements (by December 2, 2022):
  • At least two 32A or greater Level 2 chargers
    • At least one "Front" L2 EVSE available for customer use
      • At least one "Back" L2 EVSE or 14-50 outlet for service use
    • NEMA 14-50 outlets for at least 10% of service bays
  • All required EV shop equipment including
    • Pneumatic TIM applicator gun
      • Battery lift table
      • Smoke machine and adapters for leak testing pack
      • Rescue and cell balancing chargers
      • F150 Lightning and Mach-E service tool kits
  • Dealership personnel have completed all required EV training
    • Key sales, finance, service, and parts employees must complete basic EV training
      • At least one EV-certified technician that can perform HV battery repair
Ford Model e Certified Requirements (by January 1, 2024):
  • At least five 80A Level 2 chargers ($5k/ea plus installation)
    • Two 32A chargers may replace one 80A charger
      • Must be accessible on Blue Oval Charge Network
      • Six 80A chargers required by 2026
  • At least one 120 kW or greater Level 3 charger ($85k/ea plus installation)
    • Must have two CCS connectors
      • Must be for-pay on Blue Oval Charge Network
      • Must support Plug and Charge
      • Must be available to the public 24/7 in a secure, well-lit location
      • Must share real-time availability via cellular
  • NEMA 14-50 outlets for at least 50% of service bays
    • Up to a maximum of 11 outlets
    • All current EV service tools required
    • 5000 lb forklift
    • Required Model e employee training
    • Limit of 25 EVs sold per year
  • Must sell EVs online with non-negotiable pricing
    • Final transaction price must match price listed on Ford.com
Ford Model e Certified Elite Requirements (by January 1, 2024):
  • All of the above plus:
  • At least two120 kW or greater Level 3 chargers
    • Three L3 chargers required by 2026
    • Additional training requirements
    • No limit on EVs sold per year
Dealers that do not meet the new Model e requirements by January 1, 2024 will stop selling EVs at that time.​
More details about Model e required equipment: https://rotunda.service-solutions.com/en-US/Pages/RotundaEV.aspx
Sponsored

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
  • Must sell EVs online with non-negotiable pricing
    • Final transaction price must match price listed on Ford.com
An awesome dream. May be Elite dealers should also cover the cost of the therapy for dealing with current fiasco retroactively.

p.s. Ford.com can not get it’s story straight either with pricing.

luebri

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22' F150 Lightning (Lariat ER), 22' Pathfinder SL
Meaningless if there is no way for the public to view a dealer’s status.

Sponsored

markeyv

First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 XLT Lightning SR
Occupation
architect

COrocket

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
I don’t know why Ford is pushing CCS fast charging at their dealerships so hard. A lot of dealerships I’ve driven by are not located at a convenient road-trip stop location. If ford wants to make the Blue Oval network better, they should focus on putting chargers close to restaurants/ restrooms/ shopping adjacent to major highways and interstates similar to how the Tesla network is set up. Charging stops are great for meals, instead of just sitting in a dealership parking lot for 45 minutes.

boggle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY23 PRO
I don’t know why Ford is pushing CCS fast charging at their dealerships so hard.
Ford doesn't actually care how convenient their charging network is, they just want to be able to market coverage that seems comparable with Tesla's. Targeting dealerships is the fastest/cheapest way to scale on paper as you don't have to navigate licensing agreements since the franchisees already own significant infrastructure and will bear the installation costs. Besides, how else would dealers get you to come in to drink cold coffee and check out all their markups?

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Ford doesn't actually care how convenient their charging network is, they just want to be able to market coverage that seems comparable with Tesla's. Targeting dealerships is the fastest/cheapest way to scale on paper as you don't have to navigate licensing agreements since the franchisees already own significant infrastructure and will bear the installation costs. Besides, how else would dealers get you to come in to drink cold coffee and check out all their markups?
I do see the dealer CCS network as a way to extend fast charging into rural areas not covered by typical travel corridors. That could be a huge benefit for those that travel to those areas as they tend to be charging deserts today.

boggle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY23 PRO
I do see the dealer CCS network as a way to extend fast charging into rural areas not covered by typical travel corridors. That could be a huge benefit for those that travel to those areas as they tend to be charging deserts today.
As I said in another thread, I'll take any available charging over none. Even if that means a L2 in a Ford dealer's front lot so be it, beggars can't be choosers. Need to start somewhere if we want more widespread adoption of BEVs. Some areas in Maine are so sparse I had ABRP drive me 20 miles into Canada to top off.

Sponsored

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
As I said in another thread, I'll take any available charging over none. Even if that means a L2 in a Ford dealer's front lot so be it, beggars can't be choosers. Need to start somewhere if we want more widespread adoption of BEVs. Some areas in Maine are so sparse I had a ABRP drive me 20 miles into Canada to top off.
Yeah, we have friends in Northern Maine and there is basically nothing north of Portland.

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mastang Mach-E Grabber Blue First Edition
I don’t know why Ford is pushing CCS fast charging at their dealerships so hard. A lot of dealerships I’ve driven by are not located at a convenient road-trip stop location. If ford wants to make the Blue Oval network better, they should focus on putting chargers close to restaurants/ restrooms/ shopping adjacent to major highways and interstates similar to how the Tesla network is set up. Charging stops are great for meals, instead of just sitting in a dealership parking lot for 45 minutes.
I think the biggest problem for most dealers is to have DCFC accessible 24/7. Most dealerships here have gates that they close at night and don't really have any space outside of the gate. And of course most dealers are surrounded by other dealers, not coffee shops or restaurants.

Fordskeptic

First Name
Chevy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy, toyota, honda, jeep
I think the dealership cabal will figure out a way to maintain the status quo. Hope to be wrong though.

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
I don't see a lot of rural, non ZEV state dealers hopping on board.

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
If your lightning breaks today, how do you know which dealer to take it to? Is there a list of which ones are already certified?
Sponsored