• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Tonneau Efficiency Data Collection

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Lightning ER Lariat
Occupation
Fun-Employed
Admitting that I’m bad at searching (usefully) these forums, has anyone yet made concerted efforts at data for tonneau efficiency improvements in the Lightning?

Over in the Tesla forums, there seems to be somewhat “accepted” knowledge that hitch-mounted bicycle racks (loaded) can have a ~25% efficiency hit to the MY/MX. This sort of info, like info developing around Lightning towing with differently-shaped trailers, highlights for me the sometimes surprising (?) effects of ugly air chop around out vehicles.

With a pickup truck, the ages-old culprit of purported efficient issues is the tailgate/bed. Even ICE drivers have been known to run net-gates or gate-deletes.

What might be the best formulated test for us F150L drivers regarding the efficiency gains (if any) of a tonneau?

Control - absent tonneau:

• 100% SoC departure on a 100+ mile, out-and-back, 60mph (attempted) average speed (at highway)
• Return charge to 100% with accurate kWh measure?

Then test the control with a duplicate run + tonneau?

If we could get 3-4 such runs from folks, it might give us a back-of-napkin estimate of tailgate/tonneau effects to range?

By no means am I agile or experienced in any of this, so here attempting only to learn from those many more experienced here.

On one hand, I’m inclined to think a tonneau would have a measurable effect; on the other hand, if giving the benefit of doubt to Ford they have considered this when not offering a tonneau as standard?
Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
I plan on doing this on day one or two after this week's arrival of my PRO - with a Extang Encore tri-fold hard tonno, weighs about 45lbs or so.

OP
OP
cvalue13

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Lightning ER Lariat
Occupation
Fun-Employed

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
interesting and thanks for the pointer - I’ll have to catch up with that thread later!
There are literally hundreds of such threads on different truck forums. Studies have been done. Tonneaus do NOT save gas, or battery. Period.

Sponsored
OP
OP
cvalue13

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Lightning ER Lariat
Occupation
Fun-Employed
There are literally hundreds of such threads on different truck forums. Studies have been done. Tonneaus do NOT save gas, or battery. Period.
i said “interesting and thanks for the pointer - I’ll have to catch up with that thread later!”

did you take that as disagreement?

And I didn’t look to ICE truck threads only because I wondered if the EV sorts have been a bit more …. data oriented

not to mention I strongly assume any conclusions are fairly vehicle - specific

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i said “interesting and thanks for the pointer - I’ll have to catch up with that thread later!”

did you take that as disagreement?

And I didn’t look to ICE truck threads only because I wondered if the EV sorts have been a bit more …. data oriented

not to mention I strongly assume any conclusions are fairly vehicle - specific
No, but you said you'd read that thread, so I was telling you there was a huge amount of other info.

There's nothing different between a F-150 and an F-150L in that area that's going to be impacted.

OP
OP
cvalue13

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Lightning ER Lariat
Occupation
Fun-Employed
No, but you said you'd read that thread
I think you misread: “interesting and thanks for the pointer - I’ll have to catch up with that thread later!”

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I understood you would read THAT. I was telling you there's a wealth of info, outside this forum on other forums, and studies by organizations, that reinforce it saves nothing.

Read (past tense) and read (future tense) look the same.

Firestop

First Name
Firestop
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 L Lariat ER; Honda Accord Touring
As has been noted in prior posts, there are a lot of info out there (some good, some bad) that cover pickup truck aerodynamics and it’s relation to this long discussed subject. The earliest I‘ve seen is a 2003 era reseach paper ”Experimental Investigation of the Near Wake of a Pick-up Truck” (attached). Some others, such as SEMA’s study, are more geared at getting us owners to buy (or justify to ourselves to buy) more gear.

Attached is a 2015 one on PU truck aerodynamics sponsored by GM, including affects of bed covers. Here is another:

http://people.se.cmich.edu/yelam1k/asee/proceedings/2011/data/7-155-1-dr.pdf

Everyone must draw their own conclusion on the value of a tonneau cover.

I Installed an Access brand soft cover….impact on mileage was not part of my rational for choosing to do so………

Attachments

Last edited:

Sponsored

Firestop

First Name
Firestop
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 L Lariat ER; Honda Accord Touring
Oh yeah, to quote my previous thoughts on the subject…..this question will never be resolved……

Based on one’s beliefs, this is a conversation that I feel will never be resolved, as noted by at least to previous threads….probably others if you search more on the web….

https://www.f150lightningforum.com/forum/threads/lowering-drag-coefficient-by-14-8.10562/

https://www.f150lightningforum.com/forum/threads/mileage-with-tonneau.10883/

Based on information gleaned from the above two threads, and from this one, my thought have not changed:
Interesting. So after digesting the video and the written Study, am I safe to take away that after installing a flat bedcover alone, we’ll see ~4-6% reduction in drag depending on the model vs an actual test; and, that reduction in drag will translate to ~1.4-1.8% in “fuel” efficiency?

If so, that tells me adding a flat cover on the Lightning isn’t really going to have much of a range impact on an individual trip (~4.5-5 miles). Getting a cover is really about “protecting“ the cargo in the bed…which I’m ok with…. Use of a bed cover will save you “fuel” over time (life of ownership…and thus, save money), but is negligible in helping extend your range on any individual trip……🤔

My take away is based on the following, if I’m getting it correct:

Looking at the Air Shaper video on YouTube, and reading the viewer comments, a viewer asked Air Shaper the question about the efficiency effect of installing a flat bed cover. Air Shaper responded that they ran their model (2021 F-150) using that scenario and it yielded a 4% drag reduction.

The Agricover PDF notes they tested a 2006 F-150 5.5 bed with a flat cover in a wind tunnel and observed a 5.7% drag reduction. The paper further noted this drag reduction would yield ~1.8% increase in fuel efficiency based on the estimated 3% increase with a 10% drag reduction.

Both testers noted truck travel speed changes had a negligible impact on changes in the measured drag on their F-150 “tests”.

Thoughts?

OP
OP
cvalue13

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Lightning ER Lariat
Occupation
Fun-Employed
Oh yeah, to quote my previous thoughts on the subject…..this question will never be resolved……
and Consumer Reports suggests a tonneau reduced gas efficiency

https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2013/08/pickup-truck-tailgates-and-fuel-economy/index.htm

Of course, they don’t quite mention whether all conditions of their 65mph drive on a highway were standardized

well, I’m happy to know at least that I’m not knowingly waisting range absent a cover.

OP
OP
cvalue13

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Lightning ER Lariat
Occupation
Fun-Employed
Worth mentioning I’d sort of assumed that Rivian and Tesla’s offerings were based on some range-related information. Perhaps no

IdeaOfTheDayCom

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
IdeaOfTheDay.Com
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning XLT SR 312A
Occupation
Software Developer
and Consumer Reports suggests a tonneau reduced gas efficiency

https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2013/08/pickup-truck-tailgates-and-fuel-economy/index.htm

Of course, they don’t quite mention whether all conditions of their 65mph drive on a highway were standardized

well, I’m happy to know at least that I’m not knowingly waisting range absent a cover.
It's interesting that they only mention soft covers... I wonder if a hard cover improves the efficiency.

OP
OP
cvalue13

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Lightning ER Lariat
Occupation
Fun-Employed
It's interesting that they only mention soft covers... I wonder if a hard cover improves the efficiency.
I think there’s mention that the weight of hard covers does (or is assumed to) further reduce efficiency gains

dunno
Sponsored