• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Tonneau or not to Tonneau -- any efficiency improvements ?

jimfigler

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning Lariat ER, 21 Corvette Convertible
A hard tonneau cover just looks so nice and clean. MPG up or down is fine with me.
Sponsored

FirstF150InCasco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
A thread like this pops up every month or so. You can use the search feature if you'd like to read more about it. Typically there are 2 sides arguing without a conclusion.

There are studies that say it does help, and there are studies that say there is no noticeable (or only a negligible) efficiency effect.

Bottom line: buy a tonneau if you want a tonneau for its use as a tonneau. Even if you get an efficiency increase, it will NEVER pay off the amount you spent on the tonneau.
Your response is perfect. Personally, I love the tonneau because it gives me so much extra storage / luggage room. Four of us took a 300 mile trip early on Thanksgiving and when we stopped at a charger at 8 AM in CT, the only other vehicle there was another Lightning. That Lightning did not have a tonneau and the three occupants had to have all the luggage and baby gear in the car with them. He said to me, "I should have bought a tonneau."

Henry Ford

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning
It seems unlikely to me that a tonneau cover would change efficiency at all. There are two large flat areas on any pickup truck that make laminer flow (air running smoothly across a surface) impossible; the area behind the cab and the area behind the tailgate.
When laminer flow is interrupted air tumbles and creates a low pressure area. That low pressure area is a lot of drag.

A tonneau cover does nothing to change either of the low pressure areas of a pickup truck. A camper cover displaces the low pressure area behind the cab to the area behind the tailgate so the drag isn't appreciably different. Lowering the tailgate displaces the low pressure area behind the tailgate to the area behind the cab, again not changing anything.

If you were interested in reducing drag you'd want to promote laminer flow over the top of the truck. A camper shell that is roof height at the back of the cab and tapers to meet the tailgate flush would minimize the low pressure area behind the cab, which is probably why the cyber truck looks the way it does.

The most efficient shape through the air is a teardrop. The closer to that shape you can make your vehicle the more efficient it will move through the air.

Heliian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 LR Lariat, code name "Boogaloo"
had to have all the luggage and baby gear in the car with them.
Nah, you don't. Just use garbage bags to cover any sensitive items or weather resistant baggage. The frunk is also great for storing sensitive items.

Tonneau covers are useful for some people but overall they add weight, expense and hassle if you use the bed enough.

FirstF150InCasco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Nah, you don't. Just use garbage bags to cover any sensitive items or weather resistant baggage. The frunk is also great for storing sensitive items.

Tonneau covers are useful for some people but overall they add weight, expense and hassle if you use the bed enough.
We have different use cases. To each his own.

Sponsored

FirstF150InCasco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
It seems unlikely to me that a tonneau cover would change efficiency at all. There are two large flat areas on any pickup truck that make laminer flow (air running smoothly across a surface) impossible; the area behind the cab and the area behind the tailgate.
When laminer flow is interrupted air tumbles and creates a low pressure area. That low pressure area is a lot of drag.

A tonneau cover does nothing to change either of the low pressure areas of a pickup truck. A camper cover displaces the low pressure area behind the cab to the area behind the tailgate so the drag isn't appreciably different. Lowering the tailgate displaces the low pressure area behind the tailgate to the area behind the cab, again not changing anything.

If you were interested in reducing drag you'd want to promote laminer flow over the top of the truck. A camper shell that is roof height at the back of the cab and tapers to meet the tailgate flush would minimize the low pressure area behind the cab, which is probably why the cyber truck looks the way it does.

The most efficient shape through the air is a teardrop. The closer to that shape you can make your vehicle the more efficient it will move through the air.
Very interesting. Thanks for explaining the air flow.

flypony53

First Name
Rodney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150 Lightning, Tesla Model Y, Rivian R1S
A slight twist on the topic. I was all set to get the Ford roll-up aluminum backed cover by Rev. The dealer rep I'm working with said that most people at his dealership (Red McCombs Ford) buy the folding version by Rev instead. I think he said it holds up better, and you don't have the ~unsightly bundled-up roll when wound up banging against the cab and rear window, requiring cushioning. He says with the fold-up, you have almost full access to the entire bed, and both are easy to take out because they're essentially held in place by C-clamps. He thought both were easily less than 100 lbs and that I could probably install either myself if I wanted.

I did notice in the Rev instructions that the importance of levelness of the tailgate with the bed side rails is emphasized. On one side of my truck bed, there is no noticeable height discontinuity. On the other side, just running one's hand back and forth between the tailgate and the rail, I can feel a slight difference in height. Would this be a sort of "warranty" issue that I could ask the dealer to adjust if necessary, as perhaps the tonneau cover won't be 100% weatherproof with a height difference?

Maybe it would be interesting to create a poll on "Do you have a tonneau cover?" (and why) and "If so, is it folding or rollup?" (and why).

Edit_Update: Found a good comparison of the pros and cons of rolling vs. folding tonneau covers. I like a good view out my rear window, so that may prejudice me in favor of a roll-up. The sales pitch does seem to say that tri-folds are more durable, at least compared to soft roll-ups without metal reinforcement.

Which is Better: Roll Up vs Tri-Fold Tonneau Covers - PartCatalog.com
My buddy has a 2020 F-150 with a tri-fold hard cover, I ended up going with a bakflip revolver X4s. I went with the roll up because I liked the way it looked like a single piece on the back of the truck. His is good because you can fold up just the section you need. I will add that I prefer the rollup does not block the rear window with fully open.

I did a ton of research overall with no real indication of efficiency, and certainly not enough to offset the cost of a quality product. If you are looking for protection from the elements, a soft cover works great. If you are looking for protection from elements and a bit of security, you cannot go wrong with a hard cover.

As others have said, to cover or not to cover is really just personal preference. Trucks now are more aero dynamic than they have ever been. I like mine because I can throw stuff back there when it does not fit in the frunk and not worry about it blowing around.

Jim Lewis

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Accord 2017; 2023 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
If you are looking for protection from the elements, a soft cover works great. If you are looking for protection from elements and a bit of security, you cannot go wrong with a hard cover.
Thanks. I am interested in the security as well as weather protection. The Rev "hard" roll-up has frequently spaced aluminum crossbars; the Rev hard folding just appears to have a 3/4 inch thick plastic board in the folding sections. I would think someone with a portable power tool or a good pry bar wouldn't have too much trouble getting through either. But perhaps, as others have said, most thieves are interested in easy grab-and-run jobs. Perhaps if anyone is monitoring security cameras at night when I have a motel/inn stopover somewhere, someone up on the tonneau cover of the truck trying to break through would stand out like a sore thumb and the gendarmes would be called pronto.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Thanks. I am interested in the security as well as weather protection. The Rev "hard" roll-up has frequently spaced aluminum crossbars; the Rev hard folding just appears to have a 3/4 inch thick plastic board in the folding sections. I would think someone with a portable power tool or a good pry bar wouldn't have too much trouble getting through either. But perhaps, as others have said, most thieves are interested in easy grab-and-run jobs. Perhaps if anyone is monitoring security cameras at night when I have a motel/inn stopover somewhere, someone up on the tonneau cover of the truck trying to break through would stand out like a sore thumb and the gendarmes would be called pronto.
I'd suggest that your research is lacking if you think the solid tonneau is a plastic board...

In addition, if someone wants to get in your truck, almost no cover will stop them. Many are released by a cable pull that the village idiot could access if they put some effort in.

I've had a tri-fold tonneau (model no longer made) for 10 years. I never leave anything of significant value in the bed. I also have large black tubs with yellow tops to put things in, because no tonneau is water tight.

Last edited:

Jim Lewis

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Accord 2017; 2023 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
I'd suggest that your research is lacking if you think the solid tonneau is a plastic board...
On the Ford site there are scant details on the construction of the hard folding REV cover. Rev is a private label company so they have no public facing website, AFAIK, on their products. If you know where to find the composition details other than from a hearsay source, I’d much appreciate the details. Love your ad hominem style.

Last edited:

Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
REV = BAK

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
We have different use cases. To each his own.
@FirstF150InCasco I completely agree. Living in the Pacific Northwest some type of bed cover is extremely valuable to allow 365 day usage of all the benefits of a truck. Our options are really Tonneau or a Cap. Some like the Cap. I, personally, went with a hard tonneau for the added flexibility and enjoy it.

Do they add weight? Minimal. Do they add expense? Yes. Do they add hassle? Nope.

Heliian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 LR Lariat, code name "Boogaloo"
When you have to remove and store it somewhere to use the bed it's a hassle.

My use case isn't common for today's truck owners as I carry gas cylinders, ATVs, farm equipment, furniture, whatever the next job entails. I even use a utility trailer regularly to haul even more bulky loads.

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
When you have to remove and store it somewhere to use the bed it's a hassle.
Are you familiar with the design of alot of Tonneaus on the market?

The tri-fold and quad-fold take less than 10 seconds to fold up and have access to the entire bed (or depending on the model, almost the entire bed). Really no hassle at all.
Sponsored