• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Tonneau Range Savings? ~10%?

biers

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf
Just watched todays YouTube release by EV Buyers Guide (Alex on Autos) and toward the end (15:50) he mentions the Tonneau cover can save you around 10% on range. I haven't heard him say this in any of his other videos, maybe its on one of his podcasts. Anyone else experience or find similar?

Sponsored

skyak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F250, 911, Lightning

Oneand0

First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bronco Badlands & F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Digital Investigator
I put a cover on in early winter. I’ll have to wait to see in late spring if there is a change for me in general. I have heard this debunked so many times, I will just have to go by personal experience in general from around town driving to see in moderate temps. The real test will be between my parents house and back in moderate weather 84 miles round trip from 6200k elevation down to 4200k elevation and back. It took 26% battery round trip without cover

OP
OP

biers

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf
I put a cover on in early winter. I’ll have to wait to see in late spring if there is a change for me in general. I have heard this debunked so many times, I will just have to go by personal experience in general from around town driving to see in moderate temps. The real test will be between my parents house and back in moderate weather 84 miles round trip from 6200k elevation down to 4200k elevation and back. It took 26% battery round trip without cover
Thats my opinion too. I was excited to hear it from Alex as I trust his scientific method more that the TFL guys. Thanks

Oneand0

First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bronco Badlands & F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Digital Investigator
Thats my opinion too. I was excited to hear it from Alex as I trust his scientific method more that the TFL guys. Thanks
I’m excited too! I realize my winter range for sitting out in the cold isn’t as bad as I thought it would be, so I’m holding out hope, just maybe it’s the cover helping. I will see come spring.

Sponsored

Replika

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MR. PLOW - ER Lariat
A real test would be two identical vehicles on the same road at the same time. From my research the covers do not improve efficiency. Also, if they did it would be a big topic in truck discussion, and definitely a standard feature on electric trucks.

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
From an aerodynamic standpoint they absolutely improve efficiency (a tailgate is a wall stopping air). Now whether it's 0.5% or 10% I have no clue.

ErichKeane

First Name
Erich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150L Lariat ER, 2020 Niro EV, 1990 300zx TT
Occupation
Senior Compiler Engineer
I saw zero change in mine when installing the cover. The newer F150 tailgate is designed with a 'whale tale' to make the air go over it and skip the bed, so I doubt it makes a difference at all. The old flat-plate tailgates didn't have this, and could see a slight improvement, but even mythbusters saw improvement to having the tailgate up (showing it is more than just a wall to the air, it creates an area of still-air that the moving air goes around).

mrcoolgli

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Lighting Platinum
I second what ErichKeane is saying. The shape of the cab combined with the tailgate all plays into it. I am sure there is some change by having one. Which I do and I have a lightning. I have not seen any difference with it on. So if there is a difference it's so small that just normal wind and driving variables quickly cover any positive or negative measurement. I think you would almost need a windtunnel to see if it affects the wind drag coefficient

Silenze

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The aerodynamics is different for each make and model. I don't think we will know for sure unless someone puts the lightning in a wind tunnel.

Sponsored

Pitbull2o08

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 F150 FX4 Ecoboost
From an aerodynamic standpoint they absolutely improve efficiency (a tailgate is a wall stopping air). Now whether it's 0.5% or 10% I have no clue.
A tailgate stops air, creating a high pressure situation in the bed. That's why you can see open beds with papers and cans in the back, without them flying out. They will swirl around the area of high pressure pushing them around. Air then swoops over this area of high pressure and follows the path of least resistance over the tailgate. Debunking the cover myth with aerodynamics.

Firestop

First Name
Firestop
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 L Lariat ER; Honda Accord Touring
OP
OP

biers

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf
I’ve followed most of the threads and agree there are firmly held beliefs but no generally accepted gospel. My point was mostly that AonA mentioned the ~10% figure on his video in the OP. Was looking to see if anyone saw his evidence for that.

Coolbreeze704

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150L ER Lariat - 2022 Tesla Model Y LR
Occupation
General Manager - Factory Select Homes
Would think that if a cover added 10% efficiency then Ford would sell every truck with it as standard. That is 20 to 30 miles of range added for pennies. Didn't they add heated seats as standard in the Pro to minimize heat use and make winter range better?

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Gotta love how people can read actual scientific tests showing no advantage and yet still think there will be. Explains so much about the world today.
Sponsored