• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Towed trailer with 200miles on truck

grayscale

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XLT 302A 3.5L EB
hello all,
Can you tell me if im being paranoid or is there anything I should actually do?
TL;DR - I towed a 5K lbs trailer with my truck at 220miles on it for 40 miles or so, did I screw up or am I just over thinking it?

So this is my first truck, first new vehicle, etc and at the dealership my salesman told me I did not need to break in my truck before towing stuff. I didn't think to google to or check the owners manual to about a break in period so on day two of ownership a friend needed help getting a trailer towed to his home to get some work done and I offered to help.

Should I be concerned that I caused any issues or damage to the truck towing before the 1,000 mile break in period? Truck had about 220 miles on it at the time. It is a 3.5L with max tow. I didn't beat on the truck or drive it hard while towing. Trailer + kubota total weight was 5,000lbs or less. Round trip was about 40 miles total with some hills

I feel like the transmission shifts slightly harder or messier today at around 330miles but could that just be due to the break in period in general?

Am I being stupid and paranoid for no good reason and need to just chill out or is there a legitimate reason for concern?

Thank you all in advanced and my apologies for my stupidness here
Sponsored

Rod507

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 XLT Powerboost
Ideally No… but with that being said I don’t think such small trip would be detrimental to the Powertrain. You should be okay… as far as hard shift, it’s a known issue with these trucks, specially Powerboost. side note: as a maintenance though I’d recommend the first oil change to be at 1k and 4K thereafter with Full synthetic.

Last edited:
OP
OP
grayscale

grayscale

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ideally No… but with that being said I don’t think such small trip would be detrimental to the Powertrain. You should be okay… as far as hard shift, it’s a known issue with these trucks, specially Powerboost. side note: as a maintenance though I’d recommend the first oil change to be at 1k and 4K thereafter with Full synthetic.
Thank you Rod for the reply, I had heard the Powerboost were a bit hard shifting in the transition between electric and ICE; but I wasn't sure about the regular 3.5L Ecoboost which is what mine is. I will definitely replace the oil at 1,000miles like you have said

Thank you again for the reply

Rod507

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 XLT Powerboost
Thank you Rod for the reply, I had heard the Powerboost were a bit hard shifting in the transition between electric and ICE; but I wasn't sure about the regular 3.5L Ecoboost which is what mine is. I will definitely replace the oil at 1,000miles like you have said

Thank you again for the reply
you’re welcome.

Ive seen others mention shift issues with non-powerboost.As I’m sure you’ll do, make sure to address it when taking it for oil change!

As for oil… don’t let them tell you you can go 10k+ miles on full synthetic?? LOL

Last edited:

Capt Obvious

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 Lariat SUper Crew 500a 3.5 EB Max Tow
I can’t speak for an F150 but we take brand new 3/4 and 1 ton trucks and hitch really freakin heavy bumper tow and gooseneck trailers to them the very next morning and everyday until we get rid of them. Chevy, Dodge and Ford they seem to last until the replacement interval of 120 to 150k miles depending on the condition of the rest of the truck.

Sponsored
OP
OP
grayscale

grayscale

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I can’t speak for an F150 but we take brand new 3/4 and 1 ton trucks and hitch really freakin heavy bumper tow and gooseneck trailers to them the very next morning and everyday until we get rid of them. Chevy, Dodge and Ford they seem to last until the replacement interval of 120 to 150k miles depending on the condition of the rest of the truck.
Thank you for that info, that makes me feel a lot better, I have wondered what companies and especially rental companies do, I can't imagine they are all following rigorous break in processes and they get bought on the used market without a thought all the time

Capt Obvious

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 Lariat SUper Crew 500a 3.5 EB Max Tow
Thank you for that info, that makes me feel a lot better, I have wondered what companies and especially rental companies do, I can't imagine they are all following rigorous break in processes and they get bought on the used market without a thought all the time
Yeah, they’re fine, the transmissions have fine and these are all gas trucks for us now. We used to use diesels but they honestly broke too much.

Tomatoboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Ford Explorer XLT, 2017 Ford Escape SE, F-150
It’s always ideal to follow the break-in procedure. Sure, there’s always some small chance you’ve contributed to some premature wear. However, you’re probably fine. You didn’t massively stress the vehicle and it was 200+ miles in. It’s not like you took it off the factory line with the rings barely seated and ran the powertrain at max towing capacity for 2500 miles. I wouldn’t stress over it, just follow the break-in the rest of the suggested period.
Sponsored