• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Towing Mirror Thoughts

webs1775

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 F-150 Lariat SuperCrew 5.0 V8 10 Speed
Gang,

Yes, I’ve researched and have seen the previous threads on towing mirrors.

I have a 2020 F-150 Lariat and am looking to upgrade to the towing mirrors. My current stock mirrors (pictured) are POWER FOLDING, HEATED, FRONT TURN SIGNAL, LED SPOTLIGHTS (Puddle Lights) and BLIS (Blind Spot Information System).

Seems like there are some decent aftermarket towing mirror options out there such as Boost Auto/Tasca Parts, American Trucks, etc.

I’m thinking of purchasing the Ford tow mirrors directly through the Ford dealership and have them installed at the dealership. The biggest drawback for me on the towing mirrors from the dealer is that they are solid black mirrors. I was hoping they would have the chrome cover (I assume I can purchase the chrome cover as an aftermarket item).

But anyways, do you suggest purchasing the tow mirrors through the dealer and installed at the dealership OR purchase the aftermarket towing mirrors and install them myself? I’m just worried if I install the aftermarket mirrors myself that I won’t install them correctly, especially with the bells & whistles that are on my current, stock exterior mirrors.

Thoughts?

Ford F-150 Lightning Towing Mirror Thoughts Truck Mirror #1
Sponsored

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2005 XLT SuperCab; ordered 2022 Lariat SuperCab
Occupation
retired!
Yes, I’ve researched and have seen the previous threads on towing mirrors. ...

.... I’m just worried if I install the aftermarket mirrors myself that I won’t install them correctly, especially with the bells & whistles that are on my current, stock exterior mirrors.

Thoughts?
My thought is that there's the telltale statements in your post .... if after informing yourself about the options you still you have lingering concern about your ability to do the job right, then pay the dealer to do it. One-and-done, and just if there's an issue, the installation of Ford Accessories and Parts by Ford Dealers is covered by a warranty.

No one here can know your capabilities better than you, and in my experience the safer bet is to listen to your own warnings of concern.

As far as OE vs aftermarket .... IMO the way to assure best quality, fit, and complete properly integrated operation of features is to pay the higher price and go OE. No aftermarket alternative has the proven performance history of the Ford OE product.

Last edited:

ptr0687

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Wrangler
You're paying 60-70k for a truck, BRAND NEW, what's a couple more hundred dollars for tow mirrors installed from and at the factory? That's the way I looked at it so I got everything I wanted all in one swoop so I had no regrets later.

Sure I thought about the blue cruise and such but opted not to get it. I would prefer to drive my truck myself then have the computer do it. The park assist would have been nice but honestly how often do I parallel park? Pretty much never so I opted not getting it and I'm still good with those decisions.

I have learned the truck is NOT my old Jeep Wrangler so I am careful where I park and always try to back in when possible and have my tailgate to a curb or grass section or park far out where the families with kids don't park. My legs can use the exercise anyway :) The 360 camera option is a MUST.

I am happy with the tow mirrors. I love they are heated and powered so I can fold them and or extend them with a touch of a button inside the cab. I love the larger mirrors and especially the lower mirror, it allows me to see everything. Combined with the BLIS sensors that light up, I have full confidence in my surroundings.

UGADawg96

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
302A 157 PB
Since you have a 2020 and this forum is more specifically for 2021+, you may get some additional feedback on the other F150 forum that focuses on past generations too. You're welcome here, just want you to know that most folks here have the newer gen. :)

OP
OP

webs1775

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 F-150 Lariat SuperCrew 5.0 V8 10 Speed
Since you have a 2020 and this forum is more specifically for 2021+, you may get some additional feedback on the other F150 forum that focuses on past generations too. You're welcome here, just want you to know that most folks here have the newer gen. :)
I actually just joined this group today. I bought my used 2020 F-150 last week, and am a novice when it comes to this stuff. I'm a first time pick-up truck owner and Ford owner. I joined the group so I can read and learn through the forum, but didn't even know what generation my 2020 F-150 was. I apologize. I feel like a dummy now. I will look at the other forums that include the year of my F-150. I appreciate the info!

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
You might even be ahead of the game overall by swapping out the entire truck! I am seeing people getting silly money for their trades or selling private party or to one of the crazy new car buying apps.

Combine that with the advice here on buying new from an honest dealer and it is quite possible to get a new truck cheaper than paying for OEM tow mirrors and the book time to swap them out, maybe even make a few bucks. :cool:
Sponsored