• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

lc7

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Hitch will be different weight rating from tow/ tow tech to max tow. The sticker on your hitch will tell you the hitch weight rating which for the class iv/ 53b should be as pictured.

DE5BF8F9-EECC-4A9A-9974-6E62548D97D5.jpeg
Thanks! So the hitch for Tow and Tow Tech should be the same, which is reassuring.
Sponsored

Platimatter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum 701
I believe it's just the difference in the hitch from the 53b to max tow. In other words if you have a class IV hitch on your 21 F150 your hitch should have this rating whether it's by itself, if you have tow tech or tow package. Doesn't necessarily mean that the truck is equipped to tow what the hitch is rated for (of course still waiting on this...:) ). The only ones I have seen that are different are the max tow hitch stickers that show somewhere around 14k lbs.

OCDoug

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
f150, focus, corolla
Occupation
Software Engineer
I ended up panic changing my PB order from tow tech to trailer tow after reading the 7000lb limit in this thread. I'm still not entirely sure there's a difference other than an additional ~$900. The many dealerships that I asked about this were useless. The build and price online support was useless. The documentation is questionable. It seems like this should be an easy question for Ford to answer... maybe it's time to hit LinkedIn and find the contact details of an engineer that worked on the PB.

clifford

First Name
Davin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1997 Subaru Outback
Well we put our order in. I’m going to bite it and get the max tow and assume Ford isn’t just completely duping powerboost customers.

Cooter'sFX4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Several XJs, a TJ, T-Bird, and an Expedition
Yeah, warning or no warning, I'm still looking for just what that 53A gets you over a 53B that the X boxes in the chart don't show. Just some cameras and lights clearly don't increase capacity. I ordered the trailer brake controller separately (and 36 gallon tank) at the time of order as that was all I had then to go on. I'd sure love to see more of the hard parts identified there in that chart, a stabilizer bar column and a leaf pack column, but maybe there are too many variations (gear ratio, Cab configuration, etc.) to make it that clear per each option package. It's clear in Max. Tow, but not in the lesser options of when which gets what and what did it. Certainly there's a business case here too in selling the 'package'. I think my truck will show up with the lesser stabilizer bar as at the dealership there wasn't enough low optioned trucks to completely tell which trucks get it and which don't, but it's probably the first thing I'll check upon inspection!

27.0mm - FTW!!!

Still no idea which option (or configuration) netted the thicker bar, or if my truck still falls under that "not above" 7,000 lbs. towing, but nothing I have indicates such. Again, no tow package here beyond the 53B (Class IV).

Ford F-150 Lightning Towing Specs Consolidated Document - Bumper vs. Class IV vs. Tow vs. Max Tow - UPDATED DOC v4 IMG_20210308_132714690

Sponsored

UricMaguric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
3.5 ecoboost, powerboost, 5.0, and diesel all the 27mm solid stabilizer bar. It does not matter if it is 53a, 53b, 53c, or 17t.
Ford F-150 Lightning Towing Specs Consolidated Document - Bumper vs. Class IV vs. Tow vs. Max Tow - UPDATED DOC v4 Screenshot_20210309-213833_Drive

Cooter'sFX4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Neat that the updated specs are now available showing the sway bar story, but I still can't find why I'd be limited to the 7,000 lbs. unless truly it is the Trailer Brake Controller (which I ordered separately) or the Springs. I'll look elsewhere on this forum to see if the spring information has been updated too. Others probably could use that consolidated document at the front of this to be updated.

Edit: I do have the 3800# rear springs so maybe that is the limiting factor. Though, I haven't seen in any documentation from ford that 53A gets you better hard parts over 53B. Search for updated information continues...

Last edited:

Cooter'sFX4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
After reviewing more trucks, and some images of trucks with Max Tow, Trailer Tow, just Class IV and some with Tow Tech. Tow Tech with Class IV as well as Trailer Tow (53A) have the same -BH Suffix 3800# Springs I have (ML34-5560-BH)!!!! So, 10,400 it is!!!

Last edited:

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
After reviewing more trucks, and some images of trucks with Max Tow, Trailer Tow, just Class IV and some with Tow Tech. Tow Tech with Class IV as well as Trailer Tow (53A) have the same -BH Suffix 3800# Springs I have (ML34-5560-BH)!!!! So, 10,400 it is!!!
Well on the bright side, you are still rated 7050# GVWR so your payload is the same as one with max tow anyway! (ignore that max tow below sprung weight adds 14#) And everyone is most concerned with running out of payload first unless they have HDPP.

dantoosi

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 F150
Occupation
Fabricator/Supervisor
Has anyone been able to confirm or deny that a 4x4 Powerboost comes with the 3/4 float axle without max trailer tow? The fact that you cannot get a powerboost without e-locker and the 9.75 HD axle only comes with an e-locker. Also the 4150 rear GAWR on 4x4 powerboost and knowing the powerboost is carrying extra weight (electric motor, battery, inverter) makes me think its very possible.

Sponsored

clifford

First Name
Davin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1997 Subaru Outback
Has anyone been able to confirm or deny that a 4x4 Powerboost comes with the 3/4 float axle without max trailer tow? The fact that you cannot get a powerboost without e-locker and the 9.75 HD axle only comes with an e-locker. Also the 4150 rear GAWR on 4x4 powerboost and knowing the powerboost is carrying extra weight (electric motor, battery, inverter) makes me think its very possible.
I spent a couple days on here trying to find that answer but it seems to be a secret for now. I gave up and ordered the max tow, I just wish it added payload.

Platimatter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum 701
Thanks for posting Timmay. I punched my vin in and it is showing 7k but only the following under tow package:

Towing Package
Class IV Receiver

No credit for Tow Tech it seems. Wish there was some way to tell what if anything I'm missing in this truck to tow over 7k lbs. Again have everything the tow package has that is listed in multiple sources and the dealership swears the truck is set up for more than 7k. "A package within a package' is how they described it. When I head over there for the first oil change I will ask again based on all the info here and will keep the group posted. Also tempted to reach out to Ford but understand others have had not had much luck with that route either. I will rarely tow anything close to 7k but it would offer some peace of mind knowing I could in case I ever needed to pull my boat out of the water which dry weighs 6750 without a trailer.

Platimatter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum 701
So I decided what the heck and reached out via chat to Ford Customer care. Here's what I got back:
Ford F-150 Lightning Towing Specs Consolidated Document - Bumper vs. Class IV vs. Tow vs. Max Tow - UPDATED DOC v4 1617049890217

spectre446

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Wrangler
Ford released a VIN tool that tells you towing capacity and payload. Just google it and use that

/endofthread
Sponsored