• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Transfer switch question

Wsaunders2

First Name
Wally
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Lariat SCrew FX4 Powerboost
Occupation
IT Director
So I’m no electrician and had a couple companies give a proposal to wire the house for a transfer switch. The bids differed substantially though both specified the same Generac switch that I’ve seen referenced here. One technician said that the switch could NOT be used with a standard portable generator, the other said it could. From what I read I believe it cannot. If not, do I trust the technician who believes it can to do the work since they had the lower bid? Both companies are well known electrical companies in my area. Thank you for your thoughts and opinions.
Sponsored

Tony Burgh

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
What size? 200 amp? 30 amp?
Automatic or manual switching?
Ask questions of the electricians. Best one is usually Why.

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
Go to a forum that you can ask specifically your questions at:
https://www.doityourself.com/

This forum has some very knowledgeable members that have saved me lots of money when I had projects I did not understand.

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Ridgeline, Miata, motorcycle(s)
If one transfer switch cannot be used for a portable generator, what can it be used for? That's really why residential transfer switches exist.

Hamtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
KIA Sorento, Tesla X
Occupation
Lawyer
The reason hooking the Lightning up like a normal generator is more complicated is for two reasons:

1) The Lightning has its own GFI. So you can not pull power from the 30 Amp 24O and just plug in to a normal transfer switch. Generac makes both a manual and automatic transfer switch that works with a GFI generator.

2) The Lightning is a bonded neutral. Not a huge issue but makes pulling power from it a little bit more complex.

Neither of these issues are hard to over come. You just have to use specific equipment instead of the typical interlock and outlet method.

Sponsored

petemill

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 ER Lariat +PRB +Unleashed, '11 ford escape v6
Occupation
Software
Do we definitively know that the lightning pro power has the same neutral config as the Powerboost does?

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
The reason hooking the Lightning up like a normal generator is more complicated is for two reasons:

1) The Lightning has its own GFI. So you can not pull power from the 30 Amp 24O and just plug in to a normal transfer switch. Generac makes both a manual and automatic transfer switch that works with a GFI generator.

2) The Lightning is a bonded neutral. Not a huge issue but makes pulling power from it a little bit more complex.

Neither of these issues are hard to over come. You just have to use specific equipment instead of the typical interlock and outlet method.
#2 is probably what the electrician was referencing when he said that the transfer switch would not work with a portable generator. Virtually all portable generators have a bonded neutral. A few of them can have the neutral lifted to make them work.

pstansel

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat ER, Hyundai EV6
Occupation
Engineer
Do we have a list somewhere of the required transfer switch components required?

Hamtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
KIA Sorento, Tesla X
Occupation
Lawyer
Do we definitively know that the lightning pro power has the same neutral config as the Powerboost does?
That is my understanding. I read on place that it was confirmed but i cannot find the source again. I would surprised if it was a floating neutral.

Hamtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
KIA Sorento, Tesla X
Occupation
Lawyer
#2 is probably what the electrician was referencing when he said that the transfer switch would not work with a portable generator. Virtually all portable generators have a bonded neutral. A few of them can have the neutral lifted to make them work.
My understand is the the GFI issue is the biggest issue. TFL truck did a test with a power boost.

It is my understanding from talking to a Ford rep at the an event at MetLife Stadium back in Oct that the onboard power system in the Lightning is almost identical to the power boost.

Sponsored

Hamtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
KIA Sorento, Tesla X
Occupation
Lawyer
Do we have a list somewhere of the required transfer switch components required?
Not that I have seen. But if you do a search for GFI supported transfer switches you can find approved transfer switches.

This video by TFL trucks shows a Powerboost GFI tripping because it is plugged into a bonded panel through a standard interlock. (The lightning will have the same GFI and warning notification).

There is another video where they get the truck to power the house through an interlock switch but the method they used is one that is not the safest.

I should note I am a lawyer and not a sparky. So anything I write should be taken with a huge grain of salt. I will never post something that I can not source and would not do in my house.

Last edited:

pstansel

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
So I read through the Hybrid 22 pages thread and they have some suggestion in there for how to do it with the Generac switch. Just pricey. Man I would kill for a floating neutral and an easy connection.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
My understand is the the GFI issue is the biggest issue. TFL truck did a test with a power boost.

It is my understanding from talking to a Ford rep at the an event at MetLife Stadium back in Oct that the onboard power system in the Lightning is almost identical to the power boost.
Probably….I was only referencing the portable generator part (Not the Ford on board system). They “usually” have GFCI 120V receptacles, but the 240 output would function with a transfer switch if the neutral wasn’t bonded.

pstansel

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
After going down the rabbit hole the last hour, I guess the best (code compliant) option is the 6852 or 6854. Man I wish the Ford solution was going to be cheaper .
Sponsored