• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

TruckPowered

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22' F150 Lightning Lariat Antimatter Blue
I checked this forum every day for almost a year in anticipation of my Lightning, then by some miracle I was able to order mine. Since it has arrived I haven't spent much time here, but I recently started an Instagram account to document details and adventures with the truck. I used to search the entire internet constantly for images/videos of antimatter blue trucks, and it was slim pickings... so I thought I'd provide some more content!

I wouldn't mind any feedback or ideas of things we could do with the account- trying to get out on adventures that are unique to an EV truck like this and/or go places that people might be worried an 'electric truck' wouldn't be able to handle. Feel free to send me messages on the account!

For reference, I've installed:
- RetraxPro XR tonneau cover
- Yakima HD Bars and Skyline Towers
- Bed mat
- WeatherTech floor mats
- 23Zero Breezeway rooftop tent

Sponsored

BRB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge 3500, Kubota 5420, Honda Pilot
I checked this forum every day for almost a year in anticipation of my Lightning, then by some miracle I was able to order mine. Since it has arrived I haven't spent much time here, but I recently started an Instagram account to document details and adventures with the truck. I used to search the entire internet constantly for images/videos of antimatter blue trucks, and it was slim pickings... so I thought I'd provide some more content!

I wouldn't mind any feedback or ideas of things we could do with the account- trying to get out on adventures that are unique to an EV truck like this and/or go places that people might be worried an 'electric truck' wouldn't be able to handle. Feel free to send me messages on the account!

- Bed mat
- WeatherTech floor mats

You just become my aspirational hero! Waiting on my AMB Lariat (build next week). While I won't be taking formal pics (those were great!) with it, I'm quite interested to know how your rooftop tent performs on it, specifically impact on range.

OP
OP
TruckPowered

TruckPowered

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
You just become my aspirational hero! Waiting on my AMB Lariat (build next week). While I won't be taking formal pics (those were great!) with it, I'm quite interested to know how your rooftop tent performs on it, specifically impact on range.
I've gathered some interesting information in regards to range. I don't have an overwhelming amount of data to lay out, but I have been tracking different scenarios. I'll summarize a few points:

• Typical range: I drive an average of 70 freeway miles every day at about 75-80 mph. I have been getting 2.2-2.3 miles/kwh efficiency which would be about 288 miles of range.
  • Tent Trailer: I went on a weekend trip with the tent trailer, fearful of the dreaded 'range loss' while towing. To my surprise, after 6+ hours of towing the trailer around, I was around 1.8 miles/kwh. The (modified/heavier than normal) trailer is probably only 3000 lbs, but 235 miles of range was terrific.
  • Rooftop Tent: I was interested in the range loss after installation, and I watched the efficiency numbers carefully for the first week. The tent is tucked pretty closely to the back window, and the full profile fits within the aerodynamic profile of the truck. Surprisingly I didn't see ANY noticeable decrease in range! HOWEVER:
  • Trailer Hitch Bike Rack: On a weeklong trip of camping with the rooftop tent, I brought my fully loaded bike rack along. Over the course of the week, I averaged 2.0 miles/kwh. The bike rack was more detrimental to the range than the RTT, but 262 miles or range was still good for a camping road trip.
  • Utility Trailer (12'x7'): Took a reasonable load in an extremely light utility trailer for a 100 mile trip. Being much lighter than the tent trailer, I expected even better range results. I WAS WRONG. I ended up getting closer to 1.4 miles/kwh (183 miles) and getting myself *almost* stuck in the middle of nowhere Utah. The width of the trailer was wider than the truck profile, and the big grated gate/ramp on the back of the trailer did a real number on my range. Apparently aerodynamic profiles hold the big cards in this range game...

Ford F-150 Lightning Truck Powered Adventures: Antimatter Blue Lariat F-150 Lightning Photo_6553868_DJI_268_jpg_12457558_0_202273075952_photo_original

Last edited:

BRB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge 3500, Kubota 5420, Honda Pilot
Thank you for that real world report. I can only imagine, the range anxiety in rural UT. (Hope you didn't have kids with you then, that would compound it for me!) Your trailer experience seems to align with others' -- not the weight but the increased wind resistance of the trailer greatly impacts range. Very impressed that your RTT didn't impact range much. That may make my wish list--at least my 'keep investigating" list. Thx again.

mstuewe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
that 2.2 mi/kwh range at 70-75 mph is pretty good. do you drive on the highway with 1 pedal on?

Sponsored

meow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER; 2024 Hyundai Ioniq 5 SEL
@TruckPowered Exactly what I want to do to my Antimatter Lariat ER - thanks for sharing the stats!

I do have two questions for you though:

Considering cameras and sensors, is there any impact to BlueCruise/etc with the tent installed?

And, what’s the locking situation for the tent on the rack?

Oneand0

First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bronco Badlands & F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Digital Investigator
First, thank you for providing those specs on all the different toys and how they affected the range! Second, your videographer rocks! I was looking at your first video on Instagram and he did a wedding style first look scene and it was great! It has inspired me to break out my cameras and do something around where I live. Following on Instagram!

Im really interested in seeing your camping trailer setup. I want to go with a pop up slide in camper, but super nervous about aerodynamics and getting stranded.

OP
OP
TruckPowered

TruckPowered

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
@TruckPowered Exactly what I want to do to my Antimatter Lariat ER - thanks for sharing the stats!

I do have two questions for you though:

Considering cameras and sensors, is there any impact to BlueCruise/etc with the tent installed?

And, what’s the locking situation for the tent on the rack?
@meow The only real impact is that I can't see well (or at all) out my back window. BlueCruise still works well (the same) and rear cameras can be used while driving in a crunch.

Locking situation: my tent is free to be stolen by anyone who can reach a wrench up under the tonneau cover and get those locking nuts off. It's a little bit of a pain to remove even if I'm not stealing it, BUT- you can also purchase these from 23zero:

https://23zero.com/product/security-nuts-m5x1-25-4-nuts-2-keys/

OP
OP
TruckPowered

TruckPowered

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
that 2.2 mi/kwh range at 70-75 mph is pretty good. do you drive on the highway with 1 pedal on?
@mstuewe I use 1 pedal drive basically all the time (outside of towing, which does not allow it). Today I had cruise set to 79mph, and I got 2.3 mi/kwh on my 35 mile commute. That's with my tonneau cover and crossbars on the back. That is standard for me lately.

OP
OP
TruckPowered

TruckPowered

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
First, thank you for providing those specs on all the different toys and how they affected the range! Second, your videographer rocks! I was looking at your first video on Instagram and he did a wedding style first look scene and it was great! It has inspired me to break out my cameras and do something around where I live. Following on Instagram!

Im really interested in seeing your camping trailer setup. I want to go with a pop up slide in camper, but super nervous about aerodynamics and getting stranded.
haha Thanks @Oneand0 ! I wish I had a videographer follow me around. Unfortunately I am a lowly normal person that has to do my own video work. The salesman was a good sport when I told him I wanted to do a "first look", so he used my phone and we had a good laugh.

Thanks for following me! I'm hoping to provide good/useful/better content in the future!

I'll get some footage when I take my tent trailer out again. Crazy how busy life gets when you try to plan a few little trips...

Sponsored

DKZB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RAM 1500
Apparently aerodynamic profiles hold the big cards in this range game...
To me this is the MOST exciting part of the EV truck revolution. In the ICE days, nobody REALLY worried about aerodynamics of what you are carrying or towing; you could just fill up again. I CANT WAIT to see what creative solutions people come up with to improve how we are using trucks today!

OniNoKen

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
I'll just tag this as #goals. Great stuff man!

What kind of bike rack did you go with?

OP
OP
TruckPowered

TruckPowered

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I'll just tag this as #goals. Great stuff man!

What kind of bike rack did you go with?
I have the original version of the Kuat NV and I have loved it! They make even fancier racks now, and I'm sure they are incredible... but I'll have to start a "go fund me" if I ever want to get one.

JonS

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S Plaid, Tesla Model X, F150 Lightning

- Bed mat
- WeatherTech floor mats

Are those the Yakima Bedrock HD bars?

OP
OP
TruckPowered

TruckPowered

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Are those the Yakima Bedrock HD bars?
@JonS They are the "Yakima HD Bars", while the "Bedrock" refers to the mounting system for the bed of the truck. I'm using the Retrax Pro XR tonneau cover.
Sponsored