• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Unclaimed orders = Opportunities

IdeaOfTheDayCom

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
IdeaOfTheDay.Com
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning XLT SR 312A
Occupation
Software Developer
I just visited my local dealer and checked out one of the Lightnings that's been sitting on the lot for almost a week because the customer still hasn't picked it up.

The sales rep told me they've been reaching out to the customer to let him know his order arrived, but he hasn't made an appointment yet.

I told him that even if he called me while I was on the toilet, not only wouldn't I hesitate, I'd probably run out of the bathroom without wiping my ass.

This made me realize we all have an opportunity by letting our dealer know they should call us if somebody backs out.

It's a win-win for the dealer. They get an immediate sale, and they get to sell our order as inventory to a walk-in.
Sponsored

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)
I just visited my local dealer and checked out one of the Lightnings that's been sitting on the lot for almost a week because the customer still hasn't picked it up.

The sales rep told me they've been reaching out to the customer to let him know his order arrived, but he hasn't made an appointment yet.

I told him that even if he called me while I was on the toilet, not only wouldn't I hesitate, I'd probably run out of the bathroom without wiping my ass.

This made me realize we all have an opportunity by letting our dealer know they should call us if somebody backs out.

It's a win-win for the dealer. They get an immediate sale, and they get to sell our order as inventory to a walk-in.

The only caveat to this is 99.9% of the time that declined order will have a very high ADM....

OP
OP
IdeaOfTheDayCom

IdeaOfTheDayCom

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
IdeaOfTheDay.Com
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Developer
The only caveat to this is 99.9% of the time that declined order will have a very high ADM....
True, but not necessarily on both.

A potentially honest dealer won't charge ADM on either one, but even if they want to make some extra money, they can make two customers happy by offering the unclaimed one to us at sticker price... then make a second customer (and themselves) happy by selling the ones we reserved as inventory at a later date with the markup.

We get the price we were promised, and they get some extra time to find buyers willing to pay extra.

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)
True, but not necessarily on both.

A potentially honest dealer won't charge ADM on either one, but even if they want to make some extra money, they can make two customers happy by offering the unclaimed one to us at sticker price... then make a second customer (and themselves) happy by selling the ones we reserved as inventory at a later date with the markup.

We get the price we were promised, and they get some extra time to find buyers willing to pay extra.
Its a little easier to talk someone into an ADM if you're sitting there with the truck and dangle it in front like a piece of cheese. Harder to sell ADM on an order when a knowledgeable consumer can just call Ford and transfer the reservation to another dealer.

I wish everyone luck....hopefully there are some good, honest dealers out there...but sadly the allure of fast money trumps cultivating a good business relationship with a possible repeat customer.

OP
OP
IdeaOfTheDayCom

IdeaOfTheDayCom

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
IdeaOfTheDay.Com
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Developer
Its a little easier to talk someone into an ADM if you're sitting there with the truck and dangle it in front like a piece of cheese. Harder to sell ADM on an order when a knowledgeable consumer can just call Ford and transfer the reservation to another dealer.

I wish everyone luck....hopefully there are some good, honest dealers out there...but sadly the allure of fast money trumps cultivating a good business relationship with a possible repeat customer.
The spark here was speaking to the sales rep. He couldn't imagine why the truck was there as long as it was.

He was the one to say "If anyone with an XLT or Lariat doesn't pick it up... I'll give you a ring."

I was there today out of frustration because in spite of being the 2nd person in the dealership to order... My truck isn't scheduled to be BUILT until 8/29... making October the soonest I can get mine.

I left with a bit of hope that there's at least a chance somebody will cancel and that phone will ring.

Last edited:

Sponsored

YankeeCP

First Name
CP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lariat SR Lightning
Was curious about this and I’m sure it’s based on dealer. Is there anything Ford has put out- how long does a dealer give a client to secure financing and pick up the truck? Any set time recommended by Ford?

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
I think most of even the most 'honest' of Ford dealers are not going to just market a 'dropped' Lightning order without adding market adjustments to the offering price to a 'new' customer - regardless of whether that customer has an order, or not. Take Tim B in Salina - he's admitted that even they will add market adjustments to existing inventory, and their demo(s) - only the true customer ordered vehicles will not have it. The dealer is the buyer on a dropped or cancelled order or a demo, so they hold all the pricing cards from then on, even if it seems that they are doing nothing more than simply switching the new vehicle to another 'order holder'.

I would do the same, since my PRO has been pushed back so many times, but I'm also not oblivious to the fact that it's not as simple as that in real life. If a dealer knows you want a vehicle that badly, they are going to price it accordingly.

yes, I wish it were different, though. : /

OP
OP
IdeaOfTheDayCom

IdeaOfTheDayCom

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
IdeaOfTheDay.Com
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Developer
I think most of even the most 'honest' of Ford dealers are not going to just market a 'dropped' Lightning order without adding market adjustments to the offering price to a 'new' customer - regardless of whether that customer has an order, or not. Take Tim B in Salina - he's admitted that even they will add market adjustments to existing inventory, and their demo(s) - only the true customer ordered vehicles will not have it. The dealer is the buyer on a dropped or cancelled order or a demo, so they hold all the pricing cards from then on, even if it seems that they are doing nothing more than simply switching the new vehicle to another 'order holder'.

I would do the same, since my PRO has been pushed back so many times, but I'm also not oblivious to the fact that it's not as simple as that in real life. If a dealer knows you want a vehicle that badly, they are going to price it accordingly.

yes, I wish it were different, though. : /
Although a dealer may want to hit both sales with ADM, they have nothing to lose by giving customers who are waiting first crack at an unclaimed truck. They'll still be free to make that extra money on the one you gave up.

I'm not likely to get a call, but hopefully there are honest dealers out there willing to reach out and sell to those waiting before selling them as inventory to walk-ins.

KevinC

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
98 F150,Fusion, 2023 Lightning, 2022 Mach E
With 200,000 reservations made predominately to men 35-70, I wonder how many die of natural causes waiting for their vehicles to get built and arrive. Probably one to many disappointment Thursday watching their build get bumped..

OP
OP
IdeaOfTheDayCom

IdeaOfTheDayCom

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
IdeaOfTheDay.Com
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Developer
With 200,000 reservations made predominately to men 35-70, I wonder how many die of natural causes waiting for their vehicles to get built and arrive. Probably one to many disappointment Thursday watching their build get bumped..
Lots of potential... unfortunately, we don't have that pool of 200,000 reservation holders to work with.

We just have to hope that some of the 15,000 or so who converted their order by making the $500 deposit change their minds.

Sponsored

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
That's pretty good idea!
I'd rather give up my Lariat SR being built next week for an XLT SR at the dealer now....

OP
OP
IdeaOfTheDayCom

IdeaOfTheDayCom

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
IdeaOfTheDay.Com
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Developer
That's pretty good idea!
I'd rather give up my Lariat SR being built next week for an XLT SR at the dealer now....
Considering I haven't had a truck in a full year, I'll take anything, as long as it's not ICE.

GreenLady

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Maverick
Not necessarily! I bought my FE Maverick Hybrid that way from my dealer with no markup while I’m waiting for my Lightning.
Sponsored