• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

UnderCover ArmorFlex 2020 vs 2021

RawFord

First Name
Rodney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 f150/ 2005 GTO
Occupation
Console operator
Just ordered a cover for my truck. I’ve been reading that 2020 model fits the 2021s. But I see the part numbers are different, Ax22020 and ax22030. 2020 cover is $200 cheaper. Should I cancel and buy 2021 cover?
Sponsored

First Name
Kurtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F-150 Platinum
Just ordered a cover for my truck. I’ve been reading that 2020 model fits the 2021s. But I see the part numbers are different, Ax22020 and ax22030. 2020 cover is $200 cheaper. Should I cancel and buy 2021 cover?
Guessing you have the 6'7" bed based on those part numbers? I have the 5'7" bed and just checked the part number the shop installed on mine, and it was the 2021 5'7" AX22029. I have heard that the 2020's work on the 2021's and there have been people on this forum that have swapped their old covers to their new trucks. May be worth giving UnderCover a quick call to understand the differences.

billybob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Focus SEL
I did read that the Bakflips are different part numbers because the width changed slightly, although most people swap them fine.

OP
OP

RawFord

First Name
Rodney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 f150/ 2005 GTO
Occupation
Console operator
Dang I was trying to get the cheap way out lol. I also saw some vendors using the same part numbers. I’ll prob just cancel and order the “correct” part.

NoReins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
I technically have a 2004-2014 F-150 Undercover Tonneau Cover on my 2016 and it fits fine. The only thing i needed to do was to move the 2 middle mounting brackets down 6-inches, because of something in the bed got in the way, and i didnt have enough room to mount the bracket. Once i get a 2021, i will probably re-use that tonneau cover on the 2021.

So it is probably that same type of situation between a 2015 and 2021 Tonneau Cover. There is probably a slight change that was made, so Undercover made a 2021 part number

random20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F-150
I know this is an old thread (and also not F-150 Lightning related).... but it's about the only thing I found when searching the difference between AX22020 and AX22030. Thought I'd add my experience should someone else need a datapoint.

I have a 2018 F-150 6'7" bed. The local/authorized store sold me an AX22030 for it and I didn't realize that was the wrong model until after I installed it.

Reached out to the manufacturer, they said it may not fit and hasn't been tested on anything older than 2021. I asked the differences between the models and they said the bed-cover rails are slightly different, everything else is the same. Tried to get more specifics about the rail differences but they didn't really have an answer other than if I use the 2021+ rails on the 2018 it might cause the cover to sit too high and not seal properly. They suggested contacting the store to resolve it.

Reached out to the store and they said its fine to have the AX22030 on the 2018, believe they said anything 2015 up to current 2023 has the exact same bed dimensions or something like that. The AX22030 is what they use for all their installs. I told them the MFG said the rails were different and the store said no, they were the same, the MFG just came out with a new part number so they could adjust pricing and "refresh."

So far, I've only had it on a couple days, everything seems perfectly fine with it. Seals good, lays nicely, etc. During install I did notice it was a bit hard to get the back side of the rail clamps high into the bed lip. They still have plenty of coverage, but it felt the rear clamp jaw could have been about 1/4" higher. Maybe that's by design though so you can lift the cover rail a bit if needed to make the latches catch (as per the instruction sheet notes).

I also noticed that if you don't do a good job centering the cover, you can end up with the latch on 1 side barely catching the rail lip. From a security standpoint that might be a bit of a weakness. (and as another post above mentions, maybe the 2021+ have a fraction of an inch difference in the bed side width and that's a difference between the Undercover rail models pre/post 2021 beds.) But in my case everything still seems ok, I could probably add a very thin rubber seal between the cover rail and the box edge to shrink the width a touch if needed, but currently that doesn't seem necessary.

Also the design of the latch pull cable and how it loosely hangs down probably makes it quite easy to "fish" it with a coat hanger between the cover and tail gate. Wouldn't take much to design away this issue. Could have put a longer drop lip under the cover between the tailgate and pull cable, to at least make it a bit harder to fish. Or could have used something more like a sliding bar instead of the pull cable release.

At the end of the day, I'm very happy with the quality and fit of the AX22030 on my 2018 even though it's not sanctioned by the manufacturer... plus I'm future proofed to a newer model year should I upgrade. If the cover hadn't fit, I would have used that as an excuse to trade into a newer model F-150. ;)
Sponsored