• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored
Status
Not open for further replies.

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
Does it matter how often I charge to 85% or 90%? For example, I drive not more than 20-30 miles each week day. If Iā€™m at 85% on Monday morning, then at 75% Mon evening, should I charge back up to 85% each night? Or charge to 85% Sunday night and let it get down to maybe 20% or so by Friday evening, then charge back up to 85% for the weekend?

If I charged every night, it would go from probably 75% to 85% every night. And would only go lower than 75% on the weekends or on trips.
Your daily charging strategy would be very good for you.

For me, I also drive no more than 30 miles a day but I charge once a week or every 10 days.

In order to charge every 7-10 days, my charging strategy is to charge to 100% on L2.

L2 charging is slow enough that the cells won't heat up and since it's once a week, 100% is not harmful as I drive it daily.
Sponsored

jlwillia6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜14 Silverado, ā€˜23 Lightning Lariat ER (ordered)
Thanks for all the feedback everyone! Cabin temperature isnā€™t an issue for me when I charge overnight as itā€™s parked in my heated garage that never gets below about 60F.

It sounds like Iā€™ll just charge every 3-5 days or when itā€™s at about 30% state of charge on my Level 2, 48A charger.

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜22 Lightning ER Lariat
Occupation
Fun-Employed
when it was out, it was out. Tesla will pick you up on a flatbed and take you to the nearest charger for free when you run out of juice, which in my case was a half-block to my garage - the driver was masterful at placing the car directly into the bay! Not too proud to
that the vehicle wouldnā€™t move doesnā€™t necessarily entail that the battery had zero juice

could instead be software/engineering that means a remaining reserve is merely unavailable to the vehicle. From a usability perspective, thatā€™s still consistent with ā€œout means outā€

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
that the vehicle wouldnā€™t move doesnā€™t necessarily entail that the battery had zero juice

could instead be software/engineering that means a remaining reserve is merely unavailable to the vehicle. From a usability perspective, thatā€™s still consistent with ā€œout means outā€
Iā€™m pretty sure thatā€™s how Ford does it. If you drive till itā€™s dead, thereā€™s still charge remaining to avoid battery damage.

lancersrock

First Name
Kody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Honda Pilot, 2011 Mustang GT, 2013 fusion se
Occupation
Field Engineer
I charge to 90% every week day (well as close as i can get on my 24 amp charger). Once i have my 80 amp charger installed i may drop to 85% or even 80% during the summer. Right now im driving 145 miles in sub freezing temps most days, less than 80% and i most likely need to charge in route due to the lack of chargers the last 50 miles.

Sponsored

Simsonic

First Name
Sebastian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat
Except no one is suggesting that you "continuously" plug in. Just once a day or so. It take about 5 sec to plug in and 5 sec to unplug. That means that you are saving less than an hour of time over the course of the year. Talk about "negligible".
I think this depends on your situation. I have a charger in my garage and I park outside. I also have to wrap my cord around my charger with some trash cans in the way. It's a bit more complicated than just plugging in. I'd rather spend the five minutes playing with my kids than worrying about plugging in everyday, when it's not that big of a difference for the battery longevity. The biggest issues are the ones we already noted - charging past 95%, below 10%, fast charging, and driving habits. Beyond that, 5 minutes everyday is 30 minutes for the week and quite frankly, my kids and my time are more valuable. I understand each person is different.

CAMB150

First Name
carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150-Lightning Pro
@PungoteagueDave
You are absolutely correct about F150L slow to get to 100%. My first time charging to 100%, the time to get to full charge kept increasing and never got to 100%. I finally pulled the plug at 98%. However I saw the app say 100% next morning, pretty weird. On my prime plug-in it always easily reaches 100% without issues.

MickeyAO

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red Lightning Lariat ER, Kia EV6 GT-Line AWD
Occupation
Lab Manager of the Energy Storage Technology Center
I donā€™t know how that would work engineering-wise. Itā€™s kind of like a glass of water. You fill from the bottom, not from the middle. The reserve (empty area) is always at the top.
It's not like a glass of water where you fill in the bottom, and it is not cells being held in reserve (don't remember who said this) but is controlled based on voltage. Let's say that Vmax is 4.2 V and Vmin is 2.7 V at the cell level (NOTE: Yes we have data at the pack level but I have not drilled down to the cell level yet...too busy doing that with the Mach E data right now). The BMS would be programmed to use say 4.0V and 3.0 V (made up numbers, but voltage is not linear to SOC level) to keep from using the top and bottom of the SOC. Then, after they have enough real-world data, they can send an update that expands the voltage range.

Sponsored

Jim Lewis

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Accord 2017; 2023 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow Iconic Silver
Occupation
Retired
@PungoteagueDave
You are absolutely correct about F150L slow to get to 100%. My first time charging to 100%, the time to get to full charge kept increasing and never got to 100%. I finally pulled the plug at 98%. However I saw the app say 100% next morning, pretty weird. On my prime plug-in it always easily reaches 100% without issues.
Most recently it took my ER 2 hours 45 minutes to go from 90% to 100% on a FCSP, the session started drawing at 17.891 kw, for 40 minutes, then stepped down to 13 kw for 15 minutes, approx every 10-15 minutes it dropped a tier the last tier was at 1.7 kw for 10 minutes, it finally tripped the 100% marker.

Coolbreeze704

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150L ER Lariat - 2022 Tesla Model Y LR
Occupation
General Manager - Factory Select Homes
Listen. Forget all these concerns and worries about SOC, what percentage, cold weather, etc, etc.

Just make sure you use a good synthetic oil and do your oil change EVERY 5000 MILES! Don't listen to this garbage about 10000 miles between changes. That is garbage. 3500 miles is a waste of money and valuable resources.

I have data to back all this!

Good luck

abel408

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning Pro
I figured Ford would have updated us with some kind of news on the situation today. :censored:
Same... One user on reddit reported that his truck that was sitting at the rail yard closest to his dealer for almost a month is now on the move back to the factory it seems :(. My truck was also sitting on the rail yard for a couple of weeks and has a similar build date as his. I'll be calling the dealership tomorrow to see if they can track it.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.