• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Vehicle will charge outside of preferred times

bryan995

First Name
François
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Why @Ford Motor Company … just why.

7:30pm. In the middle of a CA flex-alert and $0.66/kwh PEAK rates. Plug in the truck (21%) to charge at the set 12am-6am window, and it starts pulling 11kwh immediately.

“Vehicle will charge outside
preferred Charge Time
Sep 04, 2022, 07:23 PM

NIGHT-RIDER must charge outside your preferred
Charge Time due to charge settings, like your Departure Time”

Vehicle is set to charge during super-off-peak, 12am to 6am, via scheduled charging. Occasionally when the battery is low enough, the truck calculates that it won’t finish charging by 6am, so it instead starts charging earlier. Even within the 4-9pm PEAK TOU window.

This makes absolutely no sense. If the 6am were set as a departure time, then sure, it makes sense to optimize for charging to END at 6am.

But that’s now how this is setup. This is using charging locations + scheduled charging times. It should be allowing the vehicle to either choose to CONTINUE beyond the charging window end (6am) or to give the option to STOP charging at and the charging window end (6am). Default being to CONTINUE.

It’s as if the F150L product team has never used an EV before.

The hack is to now set all scheduled charging windows to be 12am to 4pm, allowing charging to only run OVER the end and not start before.
Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
This has been an issue since at least 2018 with Ford PHEVs, if the vehicle doesn't think it can reach its charging target. Your hack won't work. There are 2 fixes:

1) lower target to level that can be achieved in the charging window

2) use an intelligent charger like the JuiceBox and set hours there in addition to setting them in the vehicle.

jefro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Corvette, Bolt EV,
Do other F150L owners observe this?
Both my i3 and Bolt were strict in how they stopped charging when I set TOU in cars.

If you have same rates at wide times isn't there a way to charge immediately instead of departure?

OP
OP

bryan995

First Name
François
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Do other F150L owners observe this?
Both my i3 and Bolt were strict in how they stopped charging when I set TOU in cars.

If you have same rates at wide times isn't there a way to charge immediately instead of departure?
The F150L knows nothing of TOU rates. All it gives you it times windows when you can schedule charging. And if it needs more than that window, then it starts early so that it does not run over the end time.

RainorshinePNW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F150 Lightning, Lariat ER, black/black
Yes, mine does this regularly, but thankfully I don't have the expensive/major rate swings others do. I'm using the FCSP set to 80 amps, scheduled charge window of 11pm - 7am. Very rarely do I plug in and have less than 50% SOC, with a target charge of 90%. And yet, still get the notification, all the time. I stopped paying attention to whether or not it was ACTUALLY charging if/when I get the notitication.

Sponsored
OP
OP

bryan995

First Name
François
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Yes, mine does this regularly, but thankfully I don't have the expensive/major rate swings others do. I'm using the FCSP set to 80 amps, scheduled charge window of 11pm - 7am. Very rarely do I plug in and have less than 50% SOC, with a target charge of 90%. And yet, still get the notification, all the time. I stopped paying attention to whether or not it was ACTUALLY charging if/when I get the notitication.
I have major rate swings.

$0.11/kwh for super-off-peak (12am-6am) and $0.66/kwh for peak (4-9pm).

Have been using the mobile charger at 32A, which is not enough to charge the car in 6 hours, but given how often it overheats and throttles back the AMPs, ive been barely charging 25-30kwh in those 6 hours.

Moving to 48A via the tesla model connector + teslatap will mostly solve it (very rarely would I need > 6 hours of charging).

But still - not the most intelligent logic on @Ford Motor Company 's part.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
It should be as simple as programming a switch in the charge settings to prioritize either schedule or charge level. Not rocket surgery.

OP
OP

bryan995

First Name
François
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
It should be as simple as programming a switch in the charge settings to prioritize either schedule or charge level. Not rocket surgery.
Mhmm. That's all they needed, and yet here we are. Mach-E folks have been without it for >1 year now.

RainorshinePNW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F150 Lightning, Lariat ER, black/black
I thought it was starting to charge EARLY in order to reach the target SOC by the END of the charging window?

I would agree it would be nice if it simply gave you the choices and let you decide. As you mentioned, there are so many different individual scenarios, no one approach is going to work for everyone.

EDIT: Sorry, I see now you were talking about the Departure Time vs Charging Window.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Mhmm. That's all they needed, and yet here we are. Mach-E folks have been without it for >1 year now.
I’ve had mine 19 months. Fortunately, my rates are flat, no TOU.

Sponsored

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Yeah, Ford had a choice to either prioritize only charging in the window (hold the TOU rates, but potentially leaving you without enough charge) or starting early (incurring potentially extra cost, but always making sure you have the charge you need).

I can see the logic for either answer, and a switch would be nice, but I do understand their position. They are trying to bring in first time EV users. How many would get very upset if they plugged in all night/day and only had 50% charge when they went to leave.

monsterlag

First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning, Tesla Model Y Performance
I gave up trying to get this to work and switched to an EVSE that I can manually set everything on, worked like a charm. I used the Emporia one but most smart EVSEs should be able to enforce off peak charging without issue.

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
I gave up trying to get this to work and switched to an EVSE that I can manually set everything on, worked like a charm. I used the Emporia one but most smart EVSEs should be able to enforce off peak charging without issue.
What did you set the truck to? Charge when plug in?
Sponsored