• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

IdeaOfTheDayCom

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
IdeaOfTheDay.Com
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning XLT SR 312A
Occupation
Software Developer
As many of you know, a handful of customers, including several of us from this message board were invited to the official Lightning Launch Event in Dearborn MI.

Among other perks, we had full access to the factory and were allowed to tour the whole place... and I did exactly that. I walked the factory floor twice. In my first walk, there was a power outage so half the video is dark, but I walked it a second time after the event.

I shot it in 360, so I posted two versions... one version is the original 360, the other version is regular 1080.

Here's the regular version

Here's the 360 version... you can drag your mouse around and see just about every angle from left to right, floor to ceiling.

Sponsored

OP
OP
IdeaOfTheDayCom

IdeaOfTheDayCom

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
IdeaOfTheDay.Com
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Developer
I was up in the air about posting the 360 version, but now that I’m seeing it on YouTube, I think it‘s even better because you can select whatever angle you want.

If you’ve never viewed a 360 video on YouTube, just play it as normal, then click and drag to decide which view you want to see at any given time. So if I say look on the right… drag it over and look at the right.

p52Ranch

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
XLT Lightning, Badlands 7MT, New Holland 4030
Thanks for sharing. Looks like you had a great time.

The calibration machine you refer to in the video is the on-board scale calibration. The Lightning is sitting on a scale platform and that machine is applying various loads and then updating the truck software with the correct scale measurements.

OP
OP
IdeaOfTheDayCom

IdeaOfTheDayCom

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
IdeaOfTheDay.Com
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Developer
Thanks for sharing. Looks like you had a great time.

The calibration machine you refer to in the video is the on-board scale calibration. The Lightning is sitting on a scale platform and that machine is applying various loads and then updating the truck software with the correct scale measurements.
I found out that when I got home and saw another video where they talked about the higher HorsePower and payload specs.

As you noticed, there was no actual guide for the tour, so we had to guess what just about everything there does. It was so exciting@

Thanks again, @Ford Motor Company for inviting me. I had such a great time.

CoyoteJim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning SR, Tesla Model 3, BMW i3, Zero DS
Occupation
Database Developer
Thank you, Joe. The 360 video is excellent...I can scan around the factory and look at whatever I want as you are walking. Now it feels like I was there as well!

Sponsored
OP
OP
IdeaOfTheDayCom

IdeaOfTheDayCom

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
IdeaOfTheDay.Com
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Developer
Wow that view of the frame at 6:37 is what I’ve been looking for as part of my fifth wheel hitch installation research. Thanks so much.
I walked the floor twice with my camera. I had to stop in the middle of the 1st pass when the power dropped out, but I did have a talk with one of the guys at that particular spot and he mentioned the SEMA garage has already led to a bunch of cool stuff.

The trucks over there are intentionally exposed so they can do training, so the lift was the best way to keep that area accessible while still having the bed. I have even better footage of that area from the 1st walk through because the whole front was open too that I may post later.

PV2EV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Chevy Volt, 2006 Kubota L39, 2006 Suzuki Eige
So the entire frunk tilted up to expose the finished area underneath? That would be great, would love to see any cooling.

OP
OP
IdeaOfTheDayCom

IdeaOfTheDayCom

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
IdeaOfTheDay.Com
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Developer
So the entire frunk tilted up to expose the finished area underneath? That would be great, would love to see any cooling.
Exactly. They had quite a few without the Frunk so you can see everything.

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
Nice video! That 360 shot was really cool, I've never watched one of those before. Pretty awesome.

Sponsored

REDHORSECA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning XLT SR - 5/30 Build, ICE F150 XLT Sold
Occupation
R&D
Exactly. They had quite a few without the Frunk so you can see everything.

That would be great to see if you have pictures of the FRUNK minus the plastic tub.

Will help me decide if an AMP rack and an aux battery could fit behind the tub.

OP
OP
IdeaOfTheDayCom

IdeaOfTheDayCom

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
IdeaOfTheDay.Com
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Developer
The
That would be great to see if you have pictures of the FRUNK minus the plastic tub.

Will help me decide if an AMP rack and an aux battery could fit behind the tub.
The tub itself looks pretty easy to remove, and unlike the Mach-E, there's a very big door to give you access to a pretty big 12v battery.

You can see the battery door in this photo of a Frunk tub outside the truck. If you haven't seen this one, it was signed by some Ford employees, customers and invited guests. You can see my signature to the right of the battery door... and Sandy Munro's to the left.

I'll see if I can isolate that inside photo from one of my other videos.

Ford F-150 Lightning Video: My F-150 Lightning Factory Tour - Launch Event tempImage2AVy4z

OP
OP
IdeaOfTheDayCom

IdeaOfTheDayCom

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
IdeaOfTheDay.Com
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Developer
They had quite a few completely open, so I'll see if I can upload some photos from my videos.

REDHORSECA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning XLT SR - 5/30 Build, ICE F150 XLT Sold
Occupation
R&D
Yes, the Ford assembly line video shows the progress of the FRUNK area.

They just don't show inside before the tub is placed inside.

Then they put the side pieces along the tub to fully close it up. the put the front LED eyebrow center light and the front facia.

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
Man, I was hoping to see a real live Smoked Quartz truck on the video, but it appears no dice. I think I saw most of the colors, except maybe Star White. One looked like it might've been but I couldn't tell for sure.
Sponsored