• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Walk-away Lock: iPhone work around for the Lightning

VTRedWingsFan

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER, 2020 Escape
Occupation
IT delivery
Stuck. Looks like the IFTTT action doesn’t work. I have the free version, could that be a factor? 2 applets and limit is 5. For me IFTTT was not reliable, and when they changed their pricing model a while back I did not buy in.
Sponsored

heelyeah

First Name
Tripp
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Bronco; 22 F150 Lightning; 21 Jeep JT (wife's)
Thanks for this idea. I was able to set this up without having to use the Alexa/IFTTT/Voicemonkey aspects because I had already set up various Siri Shortcuts to start, lock, unlock, etc. the truck the way that was previously posted on the forum. Then I just used your method of creating an automation to trigger that existing Siri shortcut (i.e. to lock the truck) when CarPlay disconnects. Thanks!

More info here

VTRedWingsFan

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER, 2020 Escape
Occupation
IT delivery
Thanks for this idea. I was able to set this up without having to use the Alexa/IFTTT/Voicemonkey aspects because I had already set up various Siri Shortcuts to start, lock, unlock, etc. the truck the way that was previously posted on the forum. Then I just used your method of creating an automation to trigger that existing Siri shortcut (i.e. to lock the truck) when CarPlay disconnects. Thanks!

More info here
Thanks for sharing. I did not realize how powerful shortcuts were.

PrivateJoker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lariat ER, Telsa MY, 12 Leaf, 18 Leaf
I personally don't like the cyber security issues with connected vehicle features so I don't use the Ford Pass app or PAAK.
How many times has a car been broken into and stolen, versus say a blank keyfob.

The answer is blank keyfob - 1 million times. Cyber security - zero.

You're afraid of the wrong thing.

ctuan13

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1979 Continental, 2022 F150 Lightning, 03 Marauder
How many times has a car been broken into and stolen, versus say a blank keyfob.

The answer is blank keyfob - 1 million times. Cyber security - zero.

You're afraid of the wrong thing.
Interesting you assume I'm concerned about theft. I'm more concerned about data collection for features I don't need and malicious code being used to in the way a virus or ransomware affects a PC, only on a highly software dependent system in a vehicle, the stakes are significantly higher. I also have my telemetry module disconnected at all times, with the exception of installing updates that have previously been tested by others.

If you find my approach overkill (and many do) that's perfectly okay, I'm not asking or even suggesting most live their life this way. But it works for me. I'm not afraid of internet connected things and I obviously have and use a smartphone, but for me, my vehicle is one thing that doesn't need to be connected to the internet.

Sponsored
OP
OP
bmwhitetx

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired engineer
Stuck. Looks like the IFTTT action doesn’t work. I have the free version, could that be a factor? 2 applets and limit is 5. For me IFTTT was not reliable, and when they changed their pricing model a while back I did not buy in.
I have the free version as well. The paid model says it's faster but I have never had a timing issue. Usually runs within 15 seconds of CarPlay disconnecting. I would double-check all the steps - it took some experimentation for me the first time.

Last edited:
OP
OP
bmwhitetx

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired engineer
Do you have any info on the changing API's? Has this caused you to have change code? My method has been rock solid for 6 months now.
I also know some folks like @TaxmanHog has had his Ford Pass suspended because a third-party app was using the API. I wonder if this is considered a third-party app and if frequent use would result in suspension?.
Anyway, thanks for sharing!

Balistikb

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning
I followed all instructions and it is working as mentioned by others. I did notice that the mirrors don’t fold and after locking. Is this normal behavior for this automation?

OP
OP
bmwhitetx

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired engineer
I followed all instructions and it is working as mentioned by others. I did notice that the mirrors don’t fold and after locking. Is this normal behavior for this automation?
Yep. Do they fold when you lock with the fob or the door handle button? If not then you need to get it working normally first.

Sponsored

Balistikb

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning
Yes it does fold in as expected when manually locked.

OP
OP
bmwhitetx

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired engineer
Yes it does fold in as expected when manually locked.
Sorry, I’m not sure why they aren’t folding then. Are the doors actually locking, i.e., you hear them lock? If the script is giving the notification then you have done everything right And the doors should lock. What trim level and options do you have?

Adventureboy

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat
I would suggest everyone reading this post, use the new feature to leave feedback for Ford to fix this in their software deployment. We need a ton of us all saying the same thing. Activate the walk-away lock feature on our trucks. While I'm a hacker at heart, this really should be fixed by Ford and we need to raise it on their priority list. Let's see if they are listening.

https://www.ford.com/support/how-tos/search/using.in-vehicle.voice.feedback

Last edited:

Balistikb

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning
I must have been doing something wrong initially because the mirrors are folding in now.
I do have another question. I noticed the short cut runs when I get in the truck as well. I don’t have the option in the script selected for CarPlay start up.

OP
OP
bmwhitetx

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired engineer
I must have been doing something wrong initially because the mirrors are folding in now.
I do have another question. I noticed the short cut runs when I get in the truck as well. I don’t have the option in the script selected for CarPlay start up.
Can you post screenshot(s) of your script similar to what I did in post #10?
Sponsored