• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Ways to improve "jittery" ride?

lightspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Lariat ER with the 20" all seasons tires inflated to 40psi.

On smooth roads/freeways/etc. the truck rides very well. It also handles big bumps pretty well on the freeway or even at lower speeds.

But on local roads below 30mph, if a road has a bunch of LITTLE bumps/cracks/etc. it seems like every single little tiny twig/crack/bump on the road is directly transmitted into the cab giving it a very jittery ride.

I recently drove a RAM and a GMC and they both seem a lot less jittery on the same kind of road. I also drove a Tremor and it was somewhat jittery over small road imperfections so I do think this might be a characteristic of F-150s, but what works to improve it?

I might go to 18s. I've heard Bilstein 5100s help (but not sure if it helps the jittery feel).

I don't mind a firm ride, but the jittery ride is annoying.

Anything else?
Sponsored

Last edited:

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
It is a very heavy vehicle. What is your tire psi as compared to the doorjamb sticker? 40psi seems high... Higher pressure leads to firmer ride.

Last edited:

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
My Pro is set at 36 psi which is what the truck requires and ride seems OK to me. Then again, I have not compared jitteriness with other trucks at low speed.

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
Recommended PSI is 42. On 40 the truck rides perfect. Might want to have the dealer check your alignment, mine was delivered out of spec and fixed the jittery feeling.

But yes, Bilsteins would most likely improve that feeling also. Although I am not sure if they make a Lightning specific suspension setup yet.

Bwanapete

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning, 2017 Tesla MS90d, 1941 Lincoln V12
I had a 2013 Lariat and it came with rear leaf springs designed so that when the truck was not loaded, not all the leaves were engaged. The truck rode nicely empty or loaded. The new F150 gas trucks still have this leaf spring setup. I do not like the way my Lightning rides when empty. I suppose there is no changing back to leaf springs.

Is there any way to accomplish the same thing with the coil springs on my Lightning? Maybe some fancy shocks alone or combined with different rear coil springs or maybe just different rear coils?
Sponsored