• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Weight vs Aero on exterior accessories

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
I plan on keeping my truck, externally, as close to stock as possible.

The one thing I will be adding on is running boards (for my kids). I'm trying to figure out which has a greater effect on range (negatively); the extra weight of a motorized RB or a standard RB which protrudes from the vehicle a little more (potentially effecting the truck's aerodynamics).

Anyone have insight for both my ponderance and in general?
Sponsored

Last edited:

data003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Computer Nerd
If you’re driving at highway speeds a lot, aerodynamics is way more important.

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
I do know that every little thing can add up, but truly at the end of the day with these trucks my gut tells me that this decision will make very little difference in your daily life and range.

If you are a 250 mile per day guy then it might matter, otherwise no, get the ones that make the most difference to you and that you like.

broncoaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Bronco 2 door Badlands manual
$250 for some factory take off steps vs $1300+ for motorized steps, I went for the fixed steps. I also want the fixed steps (combined with mud flaps) to protect the sides of the truck from rocks and road debris. Maybe I’m wrong, but I can’t imagine these will impact the range much.
Ford F-150 Lightning Weight vs Aero on exterior accessories 205EDA9A-AFF7-4532-BA46-629BB488EBF1

ExCivilian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'05 RAM 2500 5.9L Cummins; '22 Lariat ER
Unless we're discussing unsprung weight, aerodynamics tend to have a more significant impact than weight would. Consider also that weights will impact vehicles differently depending on their (the vehicles') weight.

On a 3,000lb vehicle, a 300lb weight is 10% of the total whereas the same 300lb weight in our trucks isn't even 5% of the total. The weight penalty, relative to the overall weight, is reduced by more than half in that scenario.

Once you get into unsprung weight (primarily the wheels), variables like inertia and where the mass is located are more apparent in the driving characteristics. They also get people to that weight penalty quicker (eg, 20lbs on each corner will "feel" like roughly 250-300lbs to the vehicle).

While these considerations are primarily related to highway speeds, city-street speeds aren't likely to have much of an impact on range anyway, chargers are more prevalent, and the city/daily range is sufficient to charge primarily or exclusively at home.

One thing that might be as much or possibly more important is how low the steps drop. Since the OP is putting these on for kids, or for those members who might struggle with the standard step height due to age or medical condition, the fact the powered steps drop lower than the fixed ones might be an important factor.

Firestop

First Name
Firestop
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 L Lariat ER; Honda Accord Touring
@OutofSpecKyle did the loaded bed range test video ~2 months ago () that may provide some additional info related to this discussion…….
Sponsored