• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

What Are The Best Winter Tires for an F 150? Blizzaks?

Gerrard155

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Super Duty
I lived in Alaska for 13 years-had Blizzaks on every car I owned. Hands down the best winter tire I ever used (vs studded/other brands of syped). With that said, my F150 up there had BFG AT/KO2’s on it and did just fine too. A good set of all terrains with the “snowflake” rating will likely do just fine for you.

XLT Jeffy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Lightning XLT SR
I just ordered a set of Blizzak's last week. For the extra confidence when the snow starts I'm fine to pay for dedicated winter tires.

Never had Blizzak's before but everything I read and heard has been positive.

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
My son swears by Bridgestone Blizzaks for his 2015 F 150 (he spends a lot of time in Maine, as do I.) Thoughts?
Yes, have used Blizzaks for many years on my BMW SUV and works so well without use of chains.

Are the 20" and 22" available ?

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
I lived in Alaska for 13 years-had Blizzaks on every car I owned. Hands down the best winter tire I ever used (vs studded/other brands of syped). With that said, my F150 up there had BFG AT/KO2’s on it and did just fine too. A good set of all terrains with the “snowflake” rating will likely do just fine for you.
Second the KO2s. The Blizzaks are beasts in the snow to be sure (used them on my Mustang), but the KO2s do a great job and you can keep them on year round. Loved them on previous trucks, but will stay away from them on the Lightning. Too much of a range killer.

Sponsored

VTbuckeye

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 Bolt, 16 XC90T8, 22 XC40 P8 Recharge, 17 Tacoma
I have hakkapellita r2 suv, r3 suv and hakka 8 studded on our volvos and Tacoma. I have a set of continental viking contact 7s set to go on separate wheels for the lightning (that isn't even built yet). All of our winter tires are mounted on rims so the change happens in my garage sometime in November/December and March/April. I almost got another set of hakka r3suv (18 inch size) for the lightning, but wanted to try something different. When we had the bolt, it ran yokahamma winter tires and the volt before that had general altimax arctic (non-studded). The 2011 f150 had blizzak dmv1 tires. I have no complaints about any of them. They are all much better than all seasons when it gets snowy and cold. We didn't put on enough miles to go through all of the winter tread on the blizzaks.

OP
OP
FirstF150InCasco

FirstF150InCasco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
I have hakkapellita r2 suv, r3 suv and hakka 8 studded on our volvos and Tacoma. I have a set of continental viking contact 7s set to go on separate wheels for the lightning (that isn't even built yet). All of our winter tires are mounted on rims so the change happens in my garage sometime in November/December and March/April. I almost got another set of hakka r3suv (18 inch size) for the lightning, but wanted to try something different. When we had the bolt, it ran yokahamma winter tires and the volt before that had general altimax arctic (non-studded). The 2011 f150 had blizzak dmv1 tires. I have no complaints about any of them. They are all much better than all seasons when it gets snowy and cold. We didn't put on enough miles to go through all of the winter tread on the blizzaks.
Sorry, I could make it out: Do you have experience with Blizzarks on an F 150?

VTbuckeye

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sorry, I could make it out: Do you have experience with Blizzarks on an F 150?
Yes, many years ago. While the tread was good the truck was great with the blizzaks, much better than the Goodyear SRA that came in the truck. This was the previous generation blizzak. If you select them, they will be great. I did not drive very much in temps greater than 50 and don't generally drive aggressively so the typical shortfalls of winter tires (soft compound in the warmer weather and reduced traction in wet conditions compared to an all season) were not a problem for me.

OP
OP
FirstF150InCasco

FirstF150InCasco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Yes, many years ago. While the tread was good the truck was great with the blizzaks, much better than the Goodyear SRA that came in the truck. This was the previous generation blizzak. If you select them, they will be great. I did not drive very much in temps greater than 50 and don't generally drive aggressively so the typical shortfalls of winter tires (soft compound in the warmer weather and reduced traction in wet conditions compared to an all season) were not a problem for me.
Perfect. Thank you!!

Sponsored

merek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat ER [6/20]
Can you get used F150 wheels to put these on? They should fit, right? Junkyards must have a ton of them.

VTbuckeye

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Can you get used F150 wheels to put these on? They should fit, right? Junkyards must have a ton of them.
Most ice f150 wheels do not have the required load capacity. Should be 2400 or 2500 pounds per wheel (1/2 axle weight rating). It may not matter if you don't load the truck up too much, but you should be aware that the wheels would not meet the spec for the lightning due to the truck weight. Many aftermarket wheels have the required weight capacity. It may be that ford does not test to the higher weight and the wheels would be fine (why test at 2500 pounds when it only needs to go to 2100?).

merek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat ER [6/20]
Could you use wheels from like an F250 instead? Or would they not fit?

VTbuckeye

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Could you use wheels from like an F250 instead? Or would they not fit?
Do the f250 wheels have 8 lugs? They have the capacity, but the lugs might be a problem.

RavenYZF-R6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma
I’ve thought about snow tires but in CO during the winter we get a lot of sun and the snow melts fast. I can only imagine what the seasonal wear on a snow tire would be on a heavy truck like the lightning. Probably not worth it.
Sponsored