• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

What do you keep in your sub-frunk?

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Ridgeline, Miata, motorcycle(s)
I find the "secret" compartment in the frunk to be a good place to put things that you'll want to keep in the truck, but are not used that frequently and don't fit well in the main cabin's storage areas. Right now I keep:

- Portable EVSE (I use a gen2 Tesla UMC with several adapters)
- TeslaTap J1772 adapter for use with the Tesla UMC and Tesla L2 destination chargers
- 14-50 extension cord
- 14-50 to 14-30 adapter (to plug in at parents' place)
- 6-20 extension cord
- Can of Invisible Glass + microfiber towel for cleaning the windshield while charging

I used to keep a can of tire sealant and a 12v air compressor in my Model S as well, but with the truck's full size spare onboard, I don't think I really need those.

I am considering adding a 12v jump pack since the 12v battery seems to be the root of all evil, and maybe an L14-30 to 14-30 or 14-50 adapter to charge another vehicle.
Sponsored

SmoothJ

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 HEV
I find the "secret" compartment in the frunk to be a good place to put things that you'll want to keep in the truck, but are not used that frequently and don't fit well in the main cabin's storage areas. Right now I keep:

- Portable EVSE (I use a gen2 Tesla UMC with several adapters)
- TeslaTap J1772 adapter for use with the Tesla UMC and Tesla L2 destination chargers
- 14-50 extension cord
- 14-50 to 14-30 adapter (to plug in at parents' place)
- 6-20 extension cord
- Can of Invisible Glass + microfiber towel for cleaning the windshield while charging

I used to keep a can of tire sealant and a 12v air compressor in my Model S as well, but with the truck's full size spare onboard, I don't think I really need those.

I am considering adding a 12v jump pack since the 12v battery seems to be the root of all evil, and maybe an L14-30 to 14-30 or 14-50 adapter to charge another vehicle.
With all that cable, it will sure decrease your range :) Whats the length you are using for the 14-50 extension and the 6-20 extension ?

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L Pro, Rivian R1T, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
With all that cable, it will sure decrease your range :) Whats the length you are using for the 14-50 extension and the 6-20 extension ?
Im just picturing those old phone cords that we used to pull around the corner and under the closet door…

OP
OP
beatle

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I thought you were supposed to leave these things plugged in? I'm using the extension cable specifically to get more range! :LOL:

I am actually borrowing the cable from a friend of mine so I can reach the 14-50 on my garage's back wall. I think it's 30 feet and it uses 6awg cable. The 6-20 extension is a DIY job I made with an extension cord from Harbor Freight. I think it's 10awg and probably about 20 ft.

Sponsored

FlasherZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning, Tesla Model X, F250 SD diesel 6.0
I used to carry around a 75 ft 6/4 extension in the early days but I think I used it maybe one or two times. On the other hand it weighed about 30-40 lbs. I sold it to someone who visited even more remote spots.

I will say it came in handy to plug my car in at another pad while camping.

OP
OP
beatle

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Come on, this is a truck...you need to put a hitch, ratchet straps, and towing straps in there.
Oh yeah, I still need to move those out of my Ridgeline before I clean it up for sale! And bungee cords.

Sponsored

SmoothJ

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 HEV
Come on, this is a truck...you need to put a hitch, ratchet straps, and towing straps in there.
This isn't going to sound right... so please forgive me.

I need to keep my frunk clean/clear. We usually go grocery shopping as a family, and I am glad to use this instead of the bed to haul groceries around. The straps and other misc stuff can stay in the cab of the truck, under the rear seat.

OP
OP
beatle

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This isn't going to sound right... so please forgive me.

I need to keep my frunk clean/clear. We usually go grocery shopping as a family, and I am glad to use this instead of the bed to haul groceries around. The straps and other misc stuff can stay in the cab of the truck, under the rear seat.
My main frunk compartment stays clear as well for the same reasons as you. I started this thread about the "sub frunk" which is below the removable panel at the bottom of the frunk.

It's probably not the best place to store things that you might need if the main frunk compartment is full of stuff.

idahospud

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lighting, Indian Roadmaster
Occupation
Commercial Real Estate
My main frunk compartment stays clear as well for the same reasons as you. I started this thread about the "sub frunk" which is below the removable panel at the bottom of the frunk.

It's probably not the best place to store things that you might need if the main frunk compartment is full of stuff.
It brings me great joy to watch the confused faces when I load the groceries into the frunk. It becomes a great conversation starter though. Last night I loaded a pizza into the frunk, and noticed a large table inside the restaurant pointing and laughing. Can't wait to empty bags of ice into the lower frunk while in the gas station parking lot!