• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

What do you set your "Home" charge limit to?

Charge limit?

• Total voters

SmoothJ

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 HEV
Usually manufacturers say you can charge to 100% without issues, however lots of people like myself only charge to a certain limit to preserve the battery life more. Besides trips, what do you normally charge your battery level to on a daily basis?
Sponsored

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Going to use 90%, just like out Mach-e.

Stuff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Ford says 90%. I do 90%. Don't care to overthink it.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
90 Unless I’m going on a trip, then it’s 100.

OP
OP
SmoothJ

SmoothJ

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 HEV
Ford says 90%. I do 90%. Don't care to overthink it.
I didn't search this until you said it...

"Ford recommends that you charge to 90% for everyday driving and charge to 100% when you need the full range for a trip. Charging to 90% helps prolong the life of your battery. "

Sponsored

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
100% using L2 charging.
80% using L3 charging.

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mastang Mach-E Grabber Blue First Edition
Usually manufacturers say you can charge to 100% without issues, however lots of people like myself only charge to a certain limit to preserve the battery life more. Besides trips, what do you normally charge your battery level to on a daily basis?
Because I don't drive every date and rarely over 20 miles, my limit on MME is set to 50%. When I know that I'm going to drive a lot, I just press charge to 100% when I get up.

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
@SmoothJ - Could you please clarify your post #1 with quote or brand. The leading EV manufacture, Tesla, does not promote 100% charging, at least not daily and only when needed and used right away. In fact, they will warn you to not to charge to 100% if you do it a few times in a row.

Back to the Ford - I use 90% simply because it seems to be the case there is additional battery hidden from us about 100% that we can't access, so the buffer is truly more than the 90% I can use.

If the battery were fully available I'd probably drop to 80% for daily driving for a bit more of headroom.

OP
OP
SmoothJ

SmoothJ

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 HEV
@SmoothJ - Could you please clarify your post #1 with quote or brand. The leading EV manufacture, Tesla, does not promote 100% charging, at least not daily and only when needed and used right away. In fact, they will warn you to not to charge to 100% if you do it a few times in a row.
My idea when saying "usually manufacturers say you can charge to 100% without issues" is to say that yes you can do it, all the time if you please. So doing the task itself will not break anything initially. A non-tech person will just simply plug in the J1772, and let it charge. On the flip side, others might not care, or simply doesn't know how batteries work.

If you take a person who has been driving ICEs for a good portion of their life, and explain to them you can only fill up your gas tank up 3/4 of the way... they will look at you odd and strange. The same with this.

We are not early adopters, but we are still a small % of people who own alternate powered vehicles. Not everyone knows, and will do what the manufacturer recommends.

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
My idea when saying "usually manufacturers say you can charge to 100% without issues" is to say that yes you can do it, all the time if you please.
That is why I asked for which manufactures you're quoting or speaking of, because I don't agree and don't think it is right.

Even Ford does not say 100% all the time - not with L2 and not with DCFC. The speed of the charge doesn't have as much impact as how you get to full, it is about letting it sit there at full. If Ford has that buffer (not one person knows how much that buffer is yet I don't believe) then you all knock yourselves out. Just no need to take a risk that isn't needed. In 3 to 6 to 9 months we'll know more about the buffer sizes.

So truly I don't care about manufactures, I care about the hundreds of scientific articles about Liion batteries. They don't like 100% nor 0% for long periods of time. So I know how I'll care for my battery and I'll have no fall out from how you handle yours, but if you are going to give advice about how to handle these batteries some backup will help as many are new to this world.

Sponsored
OP
OP
SmoothJ

SmoothJ

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 HEV
Found this online... its related to this topic... and should be already timestamped. Ford tests with 100%, but is trying to educate the customers to charge to 90%.

Ventorum94

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chev Avalanche, BMW 550i, Tesla MY, Tesla M3
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer

Back to the Ford - I use 90% simply because it seems to be the case there is additional battery hidden from us about 100% that we can't access, so the buffer is truly more than the 90% I can use.

If the battery were fully available I'd probably drop to 80% for daily driving for a bit more of headroom.
Tesla recommends charging my Model 3 RWD with Lithium-Iron-Phosphate (LFP) battery to 100% regularly. The lower charge-limit guidance is applicable to NCA (Nickel-Cobalt-Aluminum) batteries- including other Tesla models, and the present F150 Lightning.

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
Tesla recommends charging my Model 3 RWD with Lithium-Iron-Phosphate (LFP) battery to 100% regularly. The lower charge-limit guidance is applicable to NCA (Nickel-Cobalt-Aluminum) batteries- including other Tesla models, and the present F150 Lightning.
They do - but that is a different battery than 98% of the Tesla's have and than our Lightning's have, so you have to be very careful and can't compare the two. If you want to talk about and compare the LFP battery, you have to note what it is just as you've done.

RonTCat

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
That is why I asked for which manufactures you're quoting or speaking of, because I don't agree and don't think it is right.

Even Ford does not say 100% all the time - not with L2 and not with DCFC. The speed of the charge doesn't have as much impact as how you get to full, it is about letting it sit there at full. If Ford has that buffer (not one person knows how much that buffer is yet I don't believe) then you all knock yourselves out. Just no need to take a risk that isn't needed. In 3 to 6 to 9 months we'll know more about the buffer sizes.

So truly I don't care about manufactures, I care about the hundreds of scientific articles about Liion batteries. They don't like 100% nor 0% for long periods of time. So I know how I'll care for my battery and I'll have no fall out from how you handle yours, but if you are going to give advice about how to handle these batteries some backup will help as many are new to this world.
I would charge to 100% at a Level 3 (DCFC) every time, as I don't know anyone who lives at a DCFC station. 99.9999% of people who would fast charge to 100% will immediately drive their vehicle, so leaving your vehicle at 100% after fast charging is essentially not possible. If you pay to DCFC on a time basis, charge to 80% to save money, but otherwise 🤷‍♂️
Sponsored