• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

What happens when Lightning Pro or other trims are "sold out" (looking for help from experienced Ford buyers)

revellios

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Hi all,
I am 10th in a line of ~30 at my dealership, so I am assuming I will be somewhere in wave 2, 3, or 4. I have never done a new build before. In the past I have bought straight off the lot with used cars only. I was hoping I could get some guidance from experienced Ford buyers on how certain situations might play out.

I am looking to order a Pro, but given my position @ #10 it's unlikely a MY2022 Pro will be available in my wave. Assuming I am unwilling to get any other MY2022 trim, what would happen to my reservation? Would I still be able to select a Pro and then just have it roll over to MY2023? Would my reservation be cancelled? Would I get re-invited when MY2023 order banks open? Would they deliver a MY2022 config in 2023? You get my point -- there are a lot of nuanced scenarios and I was thinking maybe some of you have gone through this with other high demand vehicles (Bronco, MME, etc)

Also, despite the fact that I have not been invited to place my order by Ford, my dealer is asking for me to come in with a build to finalize an order with them and put down a deposit. Given that I don't know what wave I am in, what would the benefit to doing this be? I suppose if I signed it would help me lock down a price, but beyond that they are asking for a $2000 deposit. What if the Pro that I build (assuming I can build it) is not available for over a year? That seems like quite a bit of money to hold out of pocket when they (and Ford) do not have an actual delivery date at this point. Seems like I am getting different messaging from Ford direct and the Dealership.

Thanks so much for reading. I appreciate everyones feedback
Sponsored

PA Lightning

First Name
Tbone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Pro
Hi all,
I am 10th in a line of ~30 at my dealership, so I am assuming I will be somewhere in wave 2, 3, or 4. I have never done a new build before. In the past I have bought straight off the lot with used cars only. I was hoping I could get some guidance from experienced Ford buyers on how certain situations might play out.

I am looking to order a Pro, but given my position @ #10 it's unlikely a MY2022 Pro will be available in my wave. Assuming I am unwilling to get any other MY2022 trim, what would happen to my reservation? Would I still be able to select a Pro and then just have it roll over to MY2023? Would my reservation be cancelled? Would I get re-invited when MY2023 order banks open? Would they deliver a MY2022 config in 2023? You get my point -- there are a lot of nuanced scenarios and I was thinking maybe some of you have gone through this with other high demand vehicles (Bronco, MME, etc)

Also, despite the fact that I have not been invited to place my order by Ford, my dealer is asking for me to come in with a build to finalize an order with them and put down a deposit. Given that I don't know what wave I am in, what would the benefit to doing this be? I suppose if I signed it would help me lock down a price, but beyond that they are asking for a $2000 deposit. What if the Pro that I build (assuming I can build it) is not available for over a year? That seems like quite a bit of money to hold out of pocket when they (and Ford) do not have an actual delivery date at this point. Seems like I am getting different messaging from Ford direct and the Dealership.

Thanks so much for reading. I appreciate everyones feedback
Welcome.

First thing I would do is find out what place you are in line at the dealer, and if your dealer is selling at MSRP. In reviewing various order threads it seems the typical deposit is $500 or $1k. If your dealer wants a $2k deposit, he may be one of the ADM dealers.

Best thing you can do is educate your self. Take a look at the Order Bank Playbook thread, which is a sticky, and that will answer your "what happens if" questions.

PA Lightning

First Name
Tbone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Pro
Duplicate reply deleted

Last edited:

DadBald

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Honda Odyssey, 2013 Subaru Outback
Occupation
Energy Engineer
It sounds to me like your dealer was planning on a bigger number of lightnings available to them through their allocations from Ford and reservations assigned to them were easy money. Now that Ford is giving out one lightning per wave they have less money coming in and are trying to make that up with exorbitant "deposits" from buyers before they are even invited to place an order from Ford. Lord knows they can sell your lightning if you back out. There is absolutely no reason for a $2000 "deposit" (aka interest free loan to the dealership).

If I were you I would at a minimum tell them to pound sand and place your order when it's your turn. Alternately I would dispute their high deposit or even move my reservation. You're in a tough spot tho if that means losing your place in line.
Sponsored