• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

What is up with the color options on the Lightning?

Mr. Flibble

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1995 Delica L400, Kia Soul EV, Jeep Diesel
Occupation
Computer Nerd
The available colours seem extremely generic. I am surprised there is no Eruption Metallic Green, Cyber Orange Pearl, Grabber Blue Metallic, Beautiful Berry Red Metallic, or Blue Lightning Mettalic - how apropos would THAT colour be?

Instead we get Grey. Grey like the various clouds and lack of sunshine that powers solar electric devices - the antithesis of an EV, though maybe appropriate as clouds produce Lightning. Why so much drab grey in the colour palette?

• Atlas Blue — Not Grey! Therefore, discontinued to please the Grey Cloud gods.
  • Star White — Very very very light grey
  • Rapid Red — Not Grey! - Costs Extra, Dreary Grey gods approve of the blood I suppose.
  • Iced Blue Silver — Light grey with blue highlights — Discontinued, too much Blue, cant have blue skies.
  • Agate Black — Very very dark grey. Appropriate cloud colour at night.
  • Antimatter Blue — Extremely dark grey with blue highlights when exposed to the sun. Otherwise Dark Grey.
  • Carbonized Gray — Grey
  • Iconic Silver — Shiny Grey
  • Oxford White — Extremely light Grey, but still on the spectrum.
  • Stone Gray — Grey
  • Smoked Quartz Metallic — Smoke Grey — Discontinued because where there is smoke, there is fire.
  • Azure Gray Metallic Tri-Coat — Grey

Given the large amount of choices available from Ford for paint, why stick to these 50 shades of Grey?
Sponsored

Cypress

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 F150 Raptor
Agreed the new color options are awful. That combined with the price increases, if I didn't already have a 2022 order I'd be out.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Azure Grey at least has a substantial amount of blue/green in it.

It's like 90 parts grey, 7 parts blue, and 3 parts green.
Can I get 90 parts green, 7 parts blue, and 3 parts grey?

Ford is going over the top to make this truck boring for some reason.

Maybe for 2024, it will just be offered in Black like the model T.

OP
OP
Mr. Flibble

Mr. Flibble

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Computer Nerd

Don't tempt them.

Any colour you like, as long as it is black grey...

Last edited:

Sponsored

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Don't tempt them.

Any colour you like, as long as it is black...
Hey Ford, if you want an idea, offer us a few grand off and ship it with just primer so we can have it wrapped or painted an actual color. Should speed up production!

Blainestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55, Pro

I'd love Eruption Green, too. I'd go wilder than that, myself, but Grabber Blue or Cyber Orange is probably too much to ask. I'd even consider one of the highlighter yellow or greens the Mustang got.

But yeah, how many people are actually going to turn down a chance to buy a Lightning because of the boring color options. Almost no one, and there will be 200k people behind them willing to buy it anyway.

jb56

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Ford F150 Lariat
I would think having two shades of red wouldn't be a big deal for them, but we only get 1 and we have to like it!

OP
OP
Mr. Flibble

Mr. Flibble

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Computer Nerd
Seems that the regular F150's get a broader range of choice:

Ford F-150 Lightning What is up with the color options on the Lightning? 1660161319683

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Seems that the regular F150's get a broader range of choice:

1660161319683.png
I know, so many colors there I would have chosen over the Lightning options. I think I would have gone Code orange or Hot Pepper!

Sponsored

DadBald

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Honda Odyssey, 2013 Subaru Outback
Occupation
Energy Engineer
Ugh, these colors suck. The prices suck. I'm more and more out every day. Thanks for ruining a good thing, Ford.

OP you forgot to mention the ONLY choice for the interior - Pleasantville Gray! And it's worse than the regular ICE F150 interior. So drab. Bleh.

Ford F-150 Lightning What is up with the color options on the Lightning? 1660164907245

sen7inel

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Pro, Model Y
Occupation
IT
But where is Recession Grey and Inflation Grey? Hopefully these are 2024 options...

Just about every new(ish) car on the road is gray now, with black and white sprinkled in. I suppose Ford is following contemporary consumer trends, but the lack of color is depressing.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering Manager
But where is Recession Grey and Inflation Grey? Hopefully these are 2024 options...

Just about every new(ish) car on the road is gray now, with black and white sprinkled in. I suppose Ford is following contemporary consumer trends, but the lack of color is depressing.
They are, but it is based on an out of date model. When dealerships are full, you want to take a low risk position. Some may not buy a car because it is too flashy or the wrong bright color (others will be excited), but the vast majority will just say "meh" to shades of grey and buy it. It is less risky to stock boring colors.

But that doesn't apply to custom ordered vehicles! They are already sold before they are build - let us have any color we want! Heck, I would be OK if they charged a reasonable premium for the fun colors to profit from it (and cover paint line change over). I would have paid extra for a great green, yellow, orange, etc. They have them on other models, and even the ICE F150s. Let us have them!

I am hoping the shift to "build to order" will reset the general color palette over the next few years.

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
I know, so many colors there I would have chosen over the Lightning options. I think I would have gone Code orange or Hot Pepper!
I love HPR. Would have preferred Race Red to my Atlas Blue.
Sponsored