• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

What Questions Do You Have? (I'm attending the Event tomorrow.)

TRP

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium 4X, 2018 Ford F150xlt Sport
I want to make sure I understand your question. I know nothing about goosenecks. Do you mind putting your question into plain English for me? If the person was to ask me what is meant by Gooseneck hitch fitment, my expression would be ?‍♂
Will a gooseneck hitch fit, meaning can I install one to pull a gooseneck horse trailer. I'll try and get a picture later,
Sponsored

adoublee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 EVs
I'm not sure I understand what you are asking here. Do you mind clarifying?
Yes - that could have been more clear. What I am really trying to get at is if the vehicle can receive a charge from home grid-tie solar when isolated from utility grid (in back-up).

Brian Head Yankee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bronco Sport, Chevy Colorado 4x4
Yes. if your charger is powered up, the truck doesn't care or even know the source of electricity. The question is can your solar system handle the load?

Brian Head Yankee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bronco Sport, Chevy Colorado 4x4
I am in the unique position of already having 2 EV charging stations installed at my house so this is an important question for me:

Can you buy an Extended Range Lightning without the 80 amp charger and if so will the price be discounted?
I will buy your 80A charger for my cabin. You will have no problem selling it to those of us buying our first EV with two houses or a home and business.

adoublee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 EVs
Yes. if your charger is powered up, the truck doesn't care or even know the source of electricity. The question is can your solar system handle the load?
Correct that the truck doesn't ever know what is sourcing electricity, but not necessarily true that it doesn't care what direction it is flowing. And while the truck is being identified as allowing "bidirectional" power flow, it may be that it is one-way (to truck) on the AC pins of the included 80A charger, and one-way (from truck) on the DC pins of the CCS connector during period where 80A charger knows the truck is the home power source. And I suspect the latter may be the case based on reports that 80A home EVSE connector is CCS.

Sponsored

Mad Mac

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Far Northwest Deep East Texas in the Dirty South
Vehicles
98 Jeep Wrangler 09 Tacoma 02 Silverado 2500HD
Occupation
Rancher
Parked on a hot day in Texas, can the Lightning run the air conditioning to cool down the interior without overheating the batteries.

Being stationary, there would be no airflow around the vehicle to help keep the batteries cool.

Sapphire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost Platinum
Parked on a hot day in Texas, can the Lightning run the air conditioning to cool down the interior without overheating the batteries.

Being stationary, there would be no airflow around the vehicle to help keep the batteries cool.
I’m expecting liquid cooling for the batteries. I’m not sure they’ve commented on that yet. I guess we’ll find out.

corradoborg

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Toyota Tacoma S-Runner; F-150 Lightning order
Occupation
Corporate Physical Security Manager
I’m expecting liquid cooling for the batteries. I’m not sure they’ve commented on that yet. I guess we’ll find out.
Yes, the batteries are liquid cooled.

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
I'd expect similar to the mach-e. If the AC running while stationary was going to harm the battery on a hot day with the vehicle stationary, think about what fast charging would do....or just look at an older Nissan leaf from anywhere in the southern USA to see those results.

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mastang Mach-E Grabber Blue First Edition

If the vehicle is plugged in, it will cool the battery as necessary. If the vehicle is on, same thing. It has vents in the front and fans to create the airflow, even when stationary.

Sponsored

JTmass

First Name
Joaquin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Ranger
I'd like to know if the trims are customizable. I'd like a Lariat with the extended range battery and a moonroof but not necessarily everything in the Lariat+ package.

TRP

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium 4X, 2018 Ford F150xlt Sport
I want to make sure I understand your question. I know nothing about goosenecks. Do you mind putting your question into plain English for me? If the person was to ask me what is meant by Gooseneck hitch fitment, my expression would be ?‍♂
It is a hitch where the ball the trailer hooks to is in the middle of the bed above the rear wheels

OP
OP
Sun Devil

Sun Devil

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Ford Explorer, 2014 Honda Odyssey, 2007 Lexus
I just returned from the Lightning Tour. Here are the questions and the answers I received:
  1. Two charging ports? (Different location on the Pro?) No. Only one charging port and it is the same on all trims. The other is only cosmetic.
  2. Are the rear lights different between the trims? No, the same on all trims. (This is not the tailgate light.)
  3. Does the Pro have running boards as an option? If no, Would aftermarket running board be feasible? He wasn't sure.
  4. What is the target production of lightning in 2022? Confirm 15,000 will be built in 2022. He isn't sure. I asked about the 15,000 amount and he says he hasn't seen that from Ford.
  5. Can you do all the financing and purchasing online? He isn't sure. He believes that is a dealer question.
  6. Why no ER on the Pro trim? Is the "no ER on Pro for consumers" only for 2022 or is this permanent? He says it is very possible that the Pro will have ER in future years, just not on the 2022 due to demand.
  7. Is Fleet and Commercial one and the same for the Pro? (Fleet only) Yes.
  8. Sid Ford mention a Plug In Hybrid F150 (PHEV) like Chevy Volt's and Toyota RAV4 Prime's? This seems like it would be a more logical extension of the Hybrid Power Boost F150, which by the way I have and love? Nothing has been announced.
  9. Will the Pro Trim have the fold down work surface? He says all models will have the fold down work surface. (As a side note, I asked about the bench seat and he thinks it will be an option in future years.)
  10. More information on the inverter for the intelligent power back up. He says they don't know as they are waiting on SunRun. I asked if any electrician can install it and he says believes it is proprietary to SunRun. But he isn't positive.
  11. Will leases be available on the Lightning at launch? He isn't sure but doesn't know why it wouldn't be.
  12. How will the ordering be done for reservation holders? He has no idea. (More about this below.)
  13. Gooseneck hitch? Told no. He claims none of their half-ton F150's have this and the Lightning won't either. I don't know if this is true or not.
  14. 4 bolts holding the battery pack in place? He laughed and said the Town and Country guy really had his own agenda script. What he said was there are 4 bolts on each side.
  15. Can Individually replace specific cells in battery pack? Yes!
  16. Is there a bedliner included with the truck? Is Pro bed come sprayed standard? Or it is bare with a liner as option? He believes it is an option and comes standard on certain trim levels.
  17. What is the clearance from the ground to the lowest point at the rear bumper/hitch on the Pro? 9"
  18. Also will the Ford Options Balloon Payment be available for the lightning like the Mach-E? He doesn't know why not, but he isn't sure.
  19. will people who already have home charging stations have the option of buying the Lightning without the ford charging station for a discount? I already have a charger in my driveway and one in my garage… No. It comes with the charger. He says it will work better with their charger.
  20. Will the 80A EVSE connect with a J1772 connector or CCS connector? HE says both. I don't know enough about the charges yet to challenge him.
  21. Will equipment needed for intelligent home back-up, apart from the 80A EVSE, be proprietary to Ford or Sunrun? He believes SunRun has proprietary equipment. However, he also said SunRun hasn't told them anything yet so he could be wrong.
  22. Can the vehicle be charged while operating in the off grid mode? yes
  23. Can the intelligent home back-up and pro power onboard output operate at the same time for up to the total of 17.6kW indicated on tech spec pages for "onboard charger power output"? He believes yes, but isn't sure.
  24. I would love to know how much 12V power the DC/DC converter can supply to aftermarket accessories (e.g. winch, audio amplifiers, etc) and if there is space for a full size 12v battery anywhere. He pointed out there is already a 12v battery behind the door compartment in the frunk.
  25. What's the cost of the 80A pro charger available for purchase separately with STD battery? He believes $1,500.
  26. Will non Ford EVs be able to use the pro charger at the 80A rate some time in the future, or is it proprietary enough to preclude that? Non Ford EVs can use it no problem.
  27. How to open frunk when 12V battery dies? He says they are looking into that question themselves. He doesn't know yet.
  28. Would there be an issue if I replace 12V battery with Lithium Ion? No issue, but he doesn't know why you would.
  29. Will there be a cloth interior option on the Pro model? He believes there will be but they haven't seen the guide yet. He said whatever options currently exist on the equivalent F150 trim levels will be available on the Lightning.
  30. Will there be a leather option on the XLT? See answer above.
  31. Will there be an option for the 15.5” on the XLT? He doesn't know as they haven't seen the guide yet.
  32. Will there be tether anchors in backseat of Pro model for forward facing car seats (3 at once)? There are only 2. There isn't one in the middle seat.
  33. When Ford provided the number of reservations (currently over 120k), is that just retail or does that include commercial as well? He says Ford has not told them.
  34. Is the battery design / manufacturing from SKI for the lightning sufficiently different from the LG pouch cells to avoid the fire problems the Bolt is having? I worry this guy, although he seemed to be the main guy there (Mo for those of you who attend in the future) may not know what he is talking about. He says they are LG batteries. I said everything I have read is that they are SKI batteries. He was surprised by that.
  35. Can they provide any more details about how home power backup will work? (what equipment is needed beside the truck and charge station pro, does it use the inverter on truck, etc). It will not use the inverter on the truck. It requires the SunRun inverter he says.
  36. When will the build and price tool be released and will that be in advance of orders opening up? He said that a person there received an email and it told him the build and pricing tool would be made available to him soon. He pointed him out to me and I spoke with the guy. He says he is confused by the email. It says his place in line has been reserved. He says he has no idea what that is supposed to mean. It was sent on August 5th. He is interpreting the language, "your place in line has been reserved" means he is part of the 15,000. He says he reserved within 10 minutes of the reveal. The photo of this portion is below. I am not sure what to think. But he is under the impression he will be able to price and build his lightning this month.
    Ford F-150 Lightning What Questions Do You Have? (I'm attending the Event tomorrow.) IMG-0174.JPG

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mastang Mach-E Grabber Blue First Edition
Does the Pro have running boards as an option? If no, Would aftermarket running board be feasible? He wasn't sure.
At the Pro event earlier there were 2 Pro models. They had running boards. I am making an assumption that this means after market running boards are possible.

I got to go on the ride along. It was crazy fun.
Sponsored