• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Where did the USB media go in the new User Interface (UI)? (Solved - sort of)

LightningLover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E (E4X), F-150 Lightning (Lariat ER)
I brought a USB drive with a book to listen to on our trip. We just tried to play it and I can't find the option to do so. It looks like the ability to play music and/or audio books off a USB is either gone or well-hidden. I've dug through the app and control options and can't find it anywhere.

I checked the online manual and it basically says the same thing the print manual does:
Ford F-150 Lightning Where did the USB media go in the new User Interface (UI)? (Solved - sort of) Screenshot 2023-02-03 at 3.36.29 PM

Has anyone figured out where they moved this feature since PowerUp 4.1.2?
Sponsored

ctuan13

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1979 Continental, 2022 F150 Lightning, 03 Marauder
I brought a USB drive with a book to listen to on our trip. We just tried to play it and I can't find the option to do so. It looks like the ability to play music and/or audio books off a USB is either gone or well-hidden. I've dug through the app and control options and can't find it anywhere.

I checked the online manual and it basically says the same thing the print manual does:
Screenshot 2023-02-03 at 3.36.29 PM.png

I'm pretty sure this feature was removed on the gas trucks a couple years ago.

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired engineer

Works for me and is just where the manual says. I would note that it does not say USB but rather has the name of your USB drive. So if your drive is labelled MyBooks, it will show up as the MyBooks app, see my screenshot. My USB has the label 16GB USB. I am on 4.1.3.

Ford F-150 Lightning Where did the USB media go in the new User Interface (UI)? (Solved - sort of) 20230204_032429162_iOS (2) (Medium) - Copy

Last edited:
OP
OP

LightningLover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Works for me and is just where the manual says. I would note that it does not say USB but rather has the name of your USB drive. So if your drive is labelled MyBooks, it will show up as the MyBooks app, see my screenshot. My USB has the label 16GB USB. I am on 4.1.3.
View attachment 64313

View attachment 64315
Thanks. I'll have to see if it is something odd with the drive.

jazzmanmonty

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln Corsair
Occupation
self employeed
Sometimes the capacity is too large for the head unit to process, or it can take a long time for it to do its thing. I'm using a 256gb thumb drive and have no problems.

Sponsored
OP
OP

LightningLover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
OK, never mind. This morning when I started the truck the USB was there (MC-32GB). I had done nothing all but stop the truck for the night. Classic. We're listening to the book now.

Ford F-150 Lightning Where did the USB media go in the new User Interface (UI)? (Solved - sort of) IMG_7525

DinoF-150

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Occupation
Designer

Screenshot 2023-02-03 at 3.36.29 PM.png

I also can't find functionality for books. Therefore, I decided to use separate devices for this purpose - digital books and a phone. It is not always convenient for me to read paper books and since I travel a lot by car I like to listen to audiobooks. I remember how for the first time I came across various essay examples from my literature course essay on 12 angry men I was then able to get an analysis of a literary work without losing a lot of time reading a paper book. Therefore, it is very necessary for me to set up the work of the functionality for downloading books. For now, I use my devices.

Last edited:
OP
OP

LightningLover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
OK, never mind. This morning when I started the truck the USB was there (MC-32GB). I had done nothing all but stop the truck for the night. Classic. We're listening to the book now.

IMG_7525.jpeg
As the trip went on, I found that this feature is really flaky, or at least it was with that drive. Some days the drive with the audio book appeared on the Sync screen. Others it didn't. I couldn't figure out the pattern (if there was one).

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired engineer
Before declaring the feature flaky you should try different thumb drives. If it does it with other drives then indeed may be a Sync issue.

OP
OP

LightningLover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Before declaring the feature flaky you should try different thumb drives. If it does it with other drives then indeed may be a Sync issue.
I've been using that thumb drive for other applications for a couple of years and it works fine on multiple computers. The inability of Ford's software to read it reliably and consistently is flaky.
Sponsored