• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Where is the charging station etiquette?

AZT9

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Escalade, 2018 Tesla Model 3
Let me start off with how great of a truck the lightning is! It was easy to swap my Tesla for such a capable EV! That being said, as months go by I am seeing more and more “budget” EVs on the road from the likes of VW, Kia, Hyundai ect which I’m cool with. However with my normal commute to work from AZ into CA every week I’m quickly
Realizing that there is a tidal wave coming and the DCFC network is in no way ready for it. I truly fear any reliable DCFC network will be years behind the explosion of New EVs hitting the roads every day. With all of these new to EV drivers I’m noticing a big problem with the already limited charging stations available to non Teslas. I’ll list what I believe are the biggest offenders of charging etiquette are and chime in if y’all are experiencing these issues in your areas? Trying to aggravate some rough data and spread awareness!

1, fully charged vehicle occupying a charger with no one in the vehicle.
—with most non Tesla DCFC stations only having 4 stalls with at least one broken, I have been running
Into this a LOT more in the last few months

2, Charging to 100% at a busy station with a line of vehicles waiting to charge when it’s very likely not necessary
—please correct me if I’m wrong but most new EVs these days are very capable of 200+ miles and can easily get to their destination or the next area of chargers. It’s takes 2-3 times longer to charge to 100% when it’s almost never necessary espically when there’s a live of vehicles that need to charge too!

3, occupying multiple spots to charge a single vehicle.
—I’ve seen it more than I thought I would

4, trying to cut in line.
—about saw a full on fist fight over this at a station in Quartzite,AZ

5, utilizing a 150-350kw charger when your vehicle can not accept the current.
- I get that there are circumstances where this will
Happen but let’s use our smarts and not take up a 150-350 when the car can only take 50kw 🤦🏻‍♂️

6, (I can’t believe I have to list this one)
UNPLUGGING someone’s vehicle without consent.
—my window are tinted pretty dark, dude must have assumed I was not in the truck so he tried to help himself. WTF?

Sorry for the long post but I would love input from the wider community on this subject!

Thanks all
Sponsored

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
" I’ll list what I believe are the biggest offenders of charging etiquette are and chime in if y’all are experiencing these issues in your areas? Trying to aggravate some rough data and spread awareness! " (yes, it sounds like you are)

it happens, just like when someone in front of you finishes fueling their gas vehicle, then goes into the store for a potty break, and a snack, and is somehow in no 'hurry' to come back out... it happens.

2, Charging to 100% at a busy station with a line of vehicles waiting to charge when it’s very likely not necessary
it may happen, but politeness goes a long way in helping someone realize maybe they don't 'have' to stay there to that level, but, reality is that everyone does NOT have another charger to get all the way to where they are going, comfortably, so, yes, there will be times when someone needs to get all they can - it's their prerogative, if they wish. We can all agree that if there are coming more options and more chargers, this will less of a concern.
It happened to me at a Utility company where two brand new Chargepoint stations were installed, with two spaces right next to each other. Two teslas were there. After some time, I saw the closest tesla's owner, where I needed to park, reading. I figured that the best thing to do was to let her know that I actually was an EV, waiting to charge, not just a truck, with a camper, parking close by. I walked over cautiously, so as not to scare her, and tapped on her passenger window. I asked politely if she was close to finished, since I needed to plug in my truck. She was SHOCKED!, but she also was very apologetic, and immediately moved so that I could take the space. She walked back over and wanted to 'see' my truck, she had 'heard' about us!

well, with a LIGHTNING, you may see more and more of that. chargers are not always design and configured for such 'large' vehicles, especially if they are towing. we'll see this change over time, but as of now, it's going to happen, when there might be no other options. I doubt the owner 'wants' to take up more than one 'spot', but it may not be an option.

until we see more and more charging station options in more places, some just might not have the patience...

yep, it is not yet a known fact to many owners as to whether using any 'specific' is charger is their choice, or whether there's some 'untold' law that they can't use a charger that has more 'speed' than their vehicle can realistically use. The fact is, though, it could be that it was the ONLY charger available when they arrived. It could be that maybe their vehicle CAN use that speed. Sometimes we might 'assume' only we know best.

agree that it's one of those unspoken 'rules', but the reality is that if a vehicle is fully charged, maybe someone SHOULD unplug it. The owner obviously is not paying attention, is not aware, or is asleep, or is not even there. I would have no issues with someone unplugging my truck if they see that it is fully charged. If it's not fully charged, and still charging, well, that may be something I'm expecting to continue, and unplugging would be an aggravation. I don't suppose this happens often, but I did run into a tesla, charging at a Chargepoint station I pulled into, taking a 'better' space for my large truck. After I pulled into the other 'sister' charger to the left, with my camper taking up the lane, the owner of the tesla came out from a restaurant down the street, with a 'to go' box for leftovers, unplugged her huge 'adapter', hopped in, and sped off. Who knows how long the car had already reached full charge, but yes, I was tempted to pull up on the other side of her, unplug her, and charge my Lightning. My charger was only running at 24kw speed. Yes, it was aggravating, until she left, then I moved over to hers and had a much faster 50kw speed. It happens.

Sorry for the long post but I would love input from the wider community on this subject!

Thanks all

Last edited by a moderator:

Tony Burgh

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
Although my experiences with public chargers is limited and I haven’t found those problems you spell out, I will agree that the lack of DCFC chargers keeping pace with number of BEVs is the source of the problem. Human nature responding to limited resources.

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
A little tongue in cheek here, but are you sure you see all of that because a large number of people here claim that the CCS DCFC network is the biggest and best. However as noted and it can't charge a fraction of the number of cars that Tesla does.

OP
OP
AZT9

AZT9

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A little tongue in cheek here, but are you sure you see all of that because a large number of people here claim that the CCS DCFC network is the biggest and best. However as noted and it can't charge a fraction of the number of cars that Tesla does.
I believe it’s location dependent. I see the on PlugShare yes, there are far fewer DCFC locations than here on the west coast but its also a fact that the west coast has far more EVs on to road per capita and is growing quickly. The major thing I miss about my Tesla was the supercharger network. I’ve taken that care thousands of miles and never worried about getting a charge. One is busy? No problem. The car already knew and would reroute to a better location. Loved that!

Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Let me start off with how great of a truck the lightning is! It was easy to swap my Tesla for such a capable EV! That being said, as months go by I am seeing more and more “budget” EVs on the road from the likes of VW, Kia, Hyundai ect which I’m cool with. However with my normal commute to work from AZ into CA every week I’m quickly
Realizing that there is a tidal wave coming and the DCFC network is in no way ready for it. I truly fear any reliable DCFC network will be years behind the explosion of New EVs hitting the roads every day. With all of these new to EV drivers I’m noticing a big problem with the already limited charging stations available to non Teslas. I’ll list what I believe are the biggest offenders of charging etiquette are and chime in if y’all are experiencing these issues in your areas? Trying to aggravate some rough data and spread awareness!

—with most non Tesla DCFC stations only having 4 stalls with at least one broken, I have been running

—please correct me if I’m wrong but most new EVs these days are very capable of 200+ miles and can easily get to their destination or the next area of chargers. It’s takes 2-3 times longer to charge to 100% when it’s almost never necessary espically when there’s a live of vehicles that need to charge too!

Happen but let’s use our smarts and not take up a 150-350 when the car can only take 50kw 🤦🏻‍♂️

—my window are tinted pretty dark, dude must have assumed I was not in the truck so he tried to help himself. WTF?

Thanks all
Here's the problem with your request. You've got the uninformed, you've got the idiots, you've got the a-holes, and then you've got the rest.

While in some areas like California and Arizona, you may find congestion, much of the rest of the country is not experiencing that. Yes, it's changing, and it may get worse before it gets better.

Here's some random cities - note the difference in density of Electrify America chargers:

LA

Ford F-150 Lightning Where is the charging station etiquette? la EA.PNG

Denver

Ford F-150 Lightning Where is the charging station etiquette? denver EA.PNG

Greater NYC

Ford F-150 Lightning Where is the charging station etiquette? ny EA.PNG

Greater Detroit:

Ford F-150 Lightning Where is the charging station etiquette? detroit EA.PNG

OP
OP
AZT9

AZT9

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I appreciate your input. Understand that I am
Not impolite or aggressive when it comes to these issues. I also realize everyone of my “gripes” may have a situation I’m not aware of. That said, I can only comment on my experiences where I live and commute. I bring this up because I am seeing a trend that’s getting worse with every new BEV that hits the road. A large percentage of new BEVs hitting the roads are first timers and that’s great. I’ve been polite and on several occasions helped and informed. Most are
Nice and responsive. Others could care less. It’s the growing number of those that have that “me and only me” mentality that I take issue with.

OP
OP
AZT9

AZT9

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Here's the problem with your request. You've got the uninformed, you've got the idiots, you've got the a-holes, and then you've got the rest.

While in some areas like California and Arizona, you may find congestion, much of the rest of the country is not experiencing that. Yes, it's changing, and it may get worse before it gets better.

Here's some random cities - note the difference in density of Electrify America chargers:

LA

la EA.PNG

Denver

denver EA.PNG

Greater NYC

ny EA.PNG

Greater Detroit:

detroit EA.PNG
I agree 100%.

F-150 Prius

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum PowerBoost FX-4 6½
Occupation
Software Algorithms

Thanks all
Welcome to Tesla ownership for the last 10 years … : )

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
It’s the growing number of those that have that “me and only me” mentality that I take issue with.
I'd put to you that those individuals have that mentality in everything they do, and you're just seeing them in one of those things. Nothing you are going to do is going to change them, so you have options:

1) Report them to the site owner, or the police (in areas where they enforce things like this, which are few).

2) Try and educate them, and get frustrated.

3) Ignore them and enjoy life.

I see this behavior in our HOA of over 100 homes. We have rules, none crazy. I have had educated professionals say "it's too much for me to read" or "I can't be bothered to read that". So, a quick email to the Association results in them getting a letter, and then possibly fined. F' them.

My neighbor had 6" weeds and a dead tree. Got a letter, asked me what was up. I told him the truth - the Association had driven around and sent courtesy letters before citing people. He said "we have the weeds trimmed when they get tall" and "so what the tree is dead". F' him too.

Sponsored

F-150 Prius

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Algorithms
I'd put to you that those individuals have that mentality in everything they do, and you're just seeing them in one of those things. Nothing you are going to do is going to change them, so you have options:

1) Report them to the site owner, or the police (in areas where they enforce things like this, which are few).

2) Try and educate them, and get frustrated.

3) Ignore them and enjoy life.

I see this behavior in our HOA of over 100 homes. We have rules, none crazy. I have had educated professionals say "it's too much for me to read" or "I can't be bothered to read that". So, a quick email to the Association results in them getting a letter, and then possibly fined. F' them.

My neighbor had 6" weeds and a dead tree. Got a letter, asked me what was up. I told him the truth - the Association had driven around and sent courtesy letters before citing people. He said "we have the weeds trimmed when they get tall" and "so what the tree is dead". F' him too.
At least an HOA is up front … you get the disclosures, the CC&Rs, all the "This is not my scene, baby" warning signs before you buy. If you want to have an "authorized" mailbox and compete for Best Geranium Display, fine, but if you buy into an HOA and don't budget on maintenance and Christmas gifts for the employees and the occasional "what?!" assessments, you're just not coping too well, and should never have moved out of your mother's basement. : )

But EVs are a different bowl of Petunias and a Sperm whale plummeting towards Earth. You can buy an EV without Tesla or any manufacturer really making it clear how to live in this new ethos. There's a basic set of skills and knowledge to acquire, it takes a solid hour, then you're a competent EV user. But it takes everyone to participate and contribute; unfortunately, while that does happen, it is exception rather than the rule, and we will encounter "unexceptional" individuals in this life.

p.s. the solution is for manufacturers and charging network vendors to cooperate on design and function. Buying a car or using a charger should require a user to understand how to participate. From reading and agreeing to instructions and rules, to having online help and support in real time. Simple design features in the vehicle, the phone app, the charging pedestal display can guide the user through the process, all but completely eliminating errors.

"Hi, this is Bill from EA, your Ford/GM/Tesla/Rivian is about 15 minutes' from 80% and you can continue on your trip now or any time up till 80%. Any questions?"

"We're having lunch."​

"You're welcome to unplug and park nearby. There is a person waiting to use that charger asap and your vehicle is charged more than sufficiently for the next leg of your journey."

"We'll be an hour."​

"Overstaying will incur a fee as per the user agreement. Repeated overstays will result in restrictions on your account. I'll send a reminder to your phone when your vehicle is 5 minutes' from 80%."

"Hi, it's Bill again, it's been 30 minutes since your vehicle reached 80%. This counts as one strike against your account. As per the user agreement, your vehicle will be unplugged and towed to an adjacent parking bay in the next 30 minutes. Roadside support for your vehicle is aware of the overstay and will coordinate releasing your vehicle into tow mode to be relocated. There is a considerable fee and penalty for overstaying, a higher fee and penalty for the relocation service. Please move."

Another scenario would be to have a charging concierge service. Someone with say Uber or Lyft, AAA, or any roadside service or towing company driver, or those mobile EV charging companies, is notified that you want your vehicle moved out of a charging bay and parked nearby. They show up, unplug, go into valet mode, move your vehicle to a parking spot, done.

etc.

Last edited:
OP
OP
AZT9

AZT9

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
At least an HOA is up front … you get the disclosures, the CC&Rs, all the "This is not my scene, baby" warning signs before you buy. If you want to have an "authorized" mailbox and compete for Best Geranium Display, fine, but if you buy into an HOA and don't budget on maintenance and Christmas gifts for the employees and the occasional "what?!" assessments, you're just not coping too well, and should never have moved out of your mother's basement. : )

But EVs are a different bowl of Petunias and a Sperm whale plummeting towards Earth. You can buy an EV without Tesla or any manufacturing really making it clear how to live in this new ethos. There's a basic set of skills and knowledge to acquire, it takes a solid hour, then you're a competent EV user. But it takes everyone to participate and contribute; unfortunately, while that does happen, it is exception rather than the rule, and we will encounter "unexceptional" individuals in this life.

p.s. the solution is for manufacturers and charging network vendors to cooperate on design and function. Buying a car or using a charger should require a user to understand how to participate. From reading and agreeing to instructions and rules, to having online help and support in real time. Simple design features in the vehicle, the phone app, the charging pedestal display can guide the user through the process, all but completely eliminating errors.

"Hi, this is Bill from EA, your Ford/GM/Tesla/Rivian is about 15 minutes' from 80% and you can continue on your trip now or any time up till 80%. Any questions?"

"We're having lunch."​

"You're welcome to unplug and park nearby. There is a person waiting to use that charger asap and your vehicle is charged more than sufficiently for the next leg of your journey."

"We'll be an hour."​

"Overstaying will incur a fee as per the user agreement. Repeated overstays will result in restrictions on your account. I'll send a reminder to your phone when your vehicle is 5 minutes' from 80%."

"Hi, it's Bill again, it's been 30 minutes since your vehicle reached 80%. This counts as one strike against your account. As per the user agreement, your vehicle will be unplugged and towed to an adjacent parking bay in the next 30 minutes. Roadside support for your vehicle is aware of the overstay and will coordinate releasing your vehicle into tow mode to be relocated. There is a considerable fee and penalty for overstaying, a higher fee and penalty for the relocation service. Please move."

Another scenario would be to have a charging concierge service. Someone with say Uber or Lyft, AAA, or any roadside service or towing company driver, or those mobile EV charging companies, is notified that you want your vehicle moved out of a charging bay and parked nearby. They show up, unplug, go into valet mode, move your vehicle to a parking spot, done.

etc.
Love the idea! Doubt it will ever happen tho. I’m sure it will take time for things to fall into place fore sure but for now some simple common courtesy would go a LONG WAY!

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired

But EVs are a different bowl of Petunias and a Sperm whale plummeting towards Earth. You can buy an EV without Tesla or any manufacturing really making it clear how to live in this new ethos. There's a basic set of skills and knowledge to acquire, it takes a solid hour, then you're a competent EV user. But it takes everyone to participate and contribute; unfortunately, while that does happen, it is exception rather than the rule, and we will encounter "unexceptional" individuals in this life.

"We're having lunch."​

"We'll be an hour."​

etc.
So Tesla SC station. It’s like EA and all others never rented one, tested it out to see why people like Tesla so much. I honestly thought EA would copy that style. Even Ford Pass doesn’t tell you how much longer or to get ready to move your vehicle. Sometimes I’ll get the notification that the Lightning has reached my charge level like 2 hours later smh

F-150 Prius

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Algorithms
Love the idea! Doubt it will ever happen tho. I’m sure it will take time for things to fall into place fore sure but for now some simple common courtesy would go a LONG WAY!
Courtesy and awareness were taken off the high school curriculum and replaced with advanced TikTok studies.
I guess the only real solution is abundance. The charging networks have to grow out to be sufficient.
Sponsored