• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Who Else Has Canceled Their Lightning Order

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021KRF150 PB; 2020 LexusRX350; 2021 Mazda Miata
Occupation
Retired Physicist from federal government; Army Veteran
Well I could see the writing on the wall and canceled my reservation with Ford yesterday. :(

I had made my reservation 7 days after it started and best I could figure I was already in the 70,000+ line.

With the production schedule and all the shortages happening I figured I would be at least in the 3rd model year of the lightning before my number would come up.

Congrats to those early birds that are looking at this year to receive this amazing truck. It's not like I will be suffering in my 2021 King Ranch Powerboost but still.

Only good thing will be I am hoping the Solid State Battery (SSB) will be coming on line by then and so decided to wait. That will be a real game changer...
Sponsored

OP
OP
currybob

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
It was just a $100 to keep options open..

But I’m sure the IPhone 16 will be better, I’ll hold out for it.
Yeah I know but figure the ordering process will change a bit over the next 3 years.

AZT9

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Escalade, 2018 Tesla Model 3
Ive gone back and forth on the thought of waiting for the “next best battery tech” for a couple years. Currently in a model 3 as a fairly edge case long commuter (500+ miles to work and home every 4 days). I’ve also done tons or research and read many case studies on “breakthrough battery tech” over the past 3 years. The conclusion I’ve come to is this, IT IS COMING! But it’s in its infancy and the one thing headlines about the next best battery fail to mention is that once it proven (which many have been) it has to go thru literally years to scale up to mass production even if existing factories only need retrofits. Anything that goes into Vehicles has to go thru years more of validation and testing before it’s approved to be used in vehicle on public roadways “federal laws”. I may have some my facts a little off but in all
My reading about battery tech alone, we’re talking 5-10 years out. When you see new battery tech in consumer electronics, you will know it’s a few more years out for EV use.

my 2 cents

OP
OP
currybob

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Ive gone back and forth on the thought of waiting for the “next best battery tech” for a couple years. Currently in a model 3 as a fairly edge case long commuter (500+ miles to work and home every 4 days). I’ve also done tons or research and read many case studies on “breakthrough battery tech” over the past 3 years. The conclusion I’ve come to is this, IT IS COMING! But it’s in its infancy and the one thing headlines about the next best battery fail to mention is that once it proven (which many have been) it has to go thru literally years to scale up to mass production even if existing factories only need retrofits. Anything that goes into Vehicles has to go thru years more of validation and testing before it’s approved to be used in vehicle on public roadways “federal laws”. I may have some my facts a little off but in all
My reading about battery tech alone, we’re talking 5-10 years out. When you see new battery tech in consumer electronics, you will know it’s a few more years out for EV use.

my 2 cents
Very true but Ford is already very heavy in the new battery systems. The are breaking ground on their own production plant now in TN. Toyota has a working SSB system and Japan has investing billions into construction of the production plants now.

Lithium production is having hard time keeping up with today's demands and that is doubling every year. SSBs don't use rare earth materials so production cost is way down with plenty of availability of raw materials.

Just hoping to see it show up in 3 to 4 years. Our power grid will not be ready to handle the faster pace of all the EVs showing up either so the country better be looking at that end too.

RavenYZF-R6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma
if you are waiting for the next gen battery tech I would be ready to shell out for it. When it finally hits I’d expect it to be only for top trim levels and an expensive add on package. As others have said, I would have just hung onto it to see what happens. Without the tax credit idk if I would have stuck around either. The Tundra hybrid looks pretty nice to me!

Sponsored

Mr. Flibble

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1995 Delica L400, Kia Soul EV, Jeep Diesel
Occupation
Computer Nerd
So wait... cancel your reservation because you don't know when you might get a lightning?

You could also wait to find out where you are, and then cancel. I anticipate I will be right in the middle of the pack, around 100,000 or so, and I expect I will get mine in MY. 2023 based on the ramp up.

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Ridgeline, Miata, motorcycle(s)
Yeah, there's really no reason to pop smoke on a reservation. It's only $100 and refundable. You can make your decision to pull out when you finally get the call to order. Heck, I still have my Silverado EV reservation and I expect to take delivery of my Lightning in July.

IdeaOfTheDayCom

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
IdeaOfTheDay.Com
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning XLT SR 312A
Occupation
Software Developer
I had made my reservation 7 days after it started and best I could figure I was already in the 70,000+ line.

With the production schedule and all the shortages happening I figured I would be at least in the 3rd model year of the lightning before my number would come up.
I understand the frustration, but next year's production is expected to be 150,000 trucks, so your number will likely be rolling out sooner than you think.

Mine isn't scheduled for production until August, which means people will be ordering the 23s before I get mine because the 23 orders will be opening in the fall.

One thing I can say is that Ford's fully committed to EVs, so production capacity will grow very quickly.

IdeaOfTheDayCom

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
IdeaOfTheDay.Com
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning XLT SR 312A
Occupation
Software Developer
Ive gone back and forth on the thought of waiting for the “next best battery tech” for a couple years. ...
Like all technology, it's a never ending process.

When the first EVs rolled out, most of us said, "That's pretty good, but I'll wait until the next generation comes out".

Well, it's been a few years, and every EV made today IS the next generation... of the next generation, so we can now drive a real truck with more power than ever dreamed possible (or necessary).

For those waiting for the "next generation"... just remember, in 5 years there will still be people waiting for the "next generation".

Range anxiety definitely will get easier as battery range improves, but it's already good enough for me.

I'm thrilled with today's generation. I plug in my Mach-E at home for $20 or so per month in electricity instead of $5 per gallon. I start each day with over 200 miles of range, and I've only driven more than that in one day once.

After 200 miles of driving, I needed to rest, eat and use the bathroom anyway, so my car told me where the nearest charging station was along my path. I stopped, rested, ate, went to the bathroom, and I was on my way. Zero anxiety.

Sponsored

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Yeah, there's really no reason to pop smoke on a reservation. It's only $100 and refundable. You can make your decision to pull out when you finally get the call to order. Heck, I still have my Silverado EV reservation and I expect to take delivery of my Lightning in July.
To be fair, life circumstances can change. That $100 could mean the difference between making rent or not, or being able to eat this week. I have been there and hold no judgement for those who need to make do whatever is necessary to stay afloat.

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Ridgeline, Miata, motorcycle(s)
To be fair, life circumstances can change. That $100 could mean the difference between making rent or not, or being able to eat this week. I have been there and hold no judgement for those who need to make do whatever is necessary to stay afloat.
I didn't mention that possibility as I assumed anyone planning to purchase a new EV truck is not in dire financial straits.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
I didn't mention that possibility as I assumed anyone planning to purchase a new EV truck is not in dire financial straits.
That was a year ago, things can change.

Tony Burgh

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
That was a year ago, things can change.
In my case I would withdraw my money and quietly walk away.
But I understand OC frustration with the situation. And the rationalization of the decision. Take heart. I have purchase several first generation vehicles over the decades (old guys, remember the hype of fwd in the 70’s? I bought a POS Citation) and most have been mechanically and technically lacking.