• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Why I don't have Range Anxiety ordering a Standard Range

IdeaOfTheDayCom

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
IdeaOfTheDay.Com
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning XLT SR 312A
Occupation
Software Developer
Quite a few people online and offline ask me about the range of my "Standard Range" Mustang Mach-E, so I thought I'd share some of my experience here.

A lot of people tell me they're interested in an EV but are waiting for the "next generation" of EVs getting 500 or more miles so it could be practical.

The truth is most of us drive less than 100 miles per day, and although getting quite a bit more than that is helpful, it's not necessary, provided you have SOMEPLACE nearby, preferably home to charge your vehicle on a regular basis.

If you have a private home, charging at home is clearly the easiest solution. You plug in at night, and start each day with 100%. There are also quite a few office buildings and parking lots that offer FREE charging, so if you are lucky enough to work in an office building with a charger, that's a home run.

Although most of us drive under 100 miles each day, I understand there are times where you need to take a long trip. Rest assured it's easier than you think. Your dashboard navigation system will automatically tell you where to stop, and for how long. Ford's system is outstanding, but you can also use a ton of Apps via CarPlay or Android Auto. It's seamless, quick, and easy.

As for the range itself. My Mach-E has an EPA range of 211 miles. However, since its warm outside today, this is the actual screenshot from my FordPass App, showing a whopping 244 MILES today!

Ford F-150 Lightning Why I don't have Range Anxiety ordering a Standard Range IMG_0730

The Standard Range on the Lightning is 230 miles, which is nearly 20 miles more than my Mach-E, but keep in mind as it has been discussed before, that figure is very conservative, because Ford's range also assumes there will be a load in the bed and/or frunk of about 1000 pounds.

Based on the range of the 230 mile Standard Range, I can only assume driving without any cargo, on a warm day, I will see even higher range than what's shown above.

In summary, I assume most of us here have a plan for charging on a regular basis, so most of us will start each day with 100% power. Whether that means 230 miles or 320 miles isn't as big a problem as you may think. I've only needed to stop in the middle of a trip once, and that was before I had my home charger, so I started that day with under 50%, and drove from New York to Pennsylvania and back. I needed to stop to rest, eat, and use the bathroom anyway... and when I got back to the car, I had plenty of power to get home.
Sponsored

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Quite a few people online and offline ask me about the range of my "Standard Range" Mustang Mach-E, so I thought I'd share some of my experience here.

A lot of people tell me they're interested in an EV but are waiting for the "next generation" of EVs getting 500 or more miles so it could be practical.

The truth is most of us drive less than 100 miles per day, and although getting quite a bit more than that is helpful, it's not necessary, provided you have SOMEPLACE nearby, preferably home to charge your vehicle on a regular basis.

If you have a private home, charging at home is clearly the easiest solution. You plug in at night, and start each day with 100%. There are also quite a few office buildings and parking lots that offer FREE charging, so if you are lucky enough to work in an office building with a charger, that's a home run.

Although most of us drive under 100 miles each day, I understand there are times where you need to take a long trip. Rest assured it's easier than you think. Your dashboard navigation system will automatically tell you where to stop, and for how long. Ford's system is outstanding, but you can also use a ton of Apps via CarPlay or Android Auto. It's seamless, quick, and easy.

As for the range itself. My Mach-E has an EPA range of 211 miles. However, since its warm outside today, this is the actual screenshot from my FordPass App, showing a whopping 244 MILES today!

IMG_0730.jpg

The Standard Range on the Lightning is 230 miles, which is nearly 20 miles more than my Mach-E, but keep in mind as it has been discussed before, that figure is very conservative, because Ford's range also assumes there will be a load in the bed and/or frunk of about 1000 pounds.

Based on the range of the 230 mile Standard Range, I can only assume driving without any cargo, on a warm day, I will see even higher range than what's shown above.

In summary, I assume most of us here have a plan for charging on a regular basis, so most of us will start each day with 100% power. Whether that means 230 miles or 320 miles isn't as big a problem as you may think. I've only needed to stop in the middle of a trip once, and that was before I had my home charger, so I started that day with under 50%, and drove from New York to Pennsylvania and back. I needed to stop to rest, eat, and use the bathroom anyway... and when I got back to the car, I had plenty of power to get home.
Congrats on the great range. Our GT (with ER battery) has never shown a range that high. Even when it is warm, it barely breaks 200.

OP
OP
IdeaOfTheDayCom

IdeaOfTheDayCom

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
IdeaOfTheDay.Com
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Developer
Congrats on the great range. Our GT (with ER battery) has never shown a range that high. Even when it is warm, it barely breaks 200.
Most warm days I see about 220 to 230, but we had over 90 degree weather yesterday for the first time since I got it.

Winter is another story numbers around 180 or so, but still more than I drive in one day.

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Ridgeline, Miata, motorcycle(s)
Everyone has their own situations and hopes, but I've learned to play it somewhat conservatively, and I don't think I'd like having a vehicle with less range than what I have already. I rarely see rated range on my Model S (though Tesla is notorious for not making their rated range). I got 94% efficiency on a recent trip with average speeds of 44 and 75F temperatures. This was also on an overall decreasing altitude of 231 feet. My car has 243 miles of range at 100% now - about 4% battery degradation from new.

I often haul a motorcycle that will stick up above the profile of the truck, and I know that will cost me a bit of range. Some of these motorcycle trips are into parts of the country with little to no charging infrastructure (WV is one, east coast beaches are another) and I don't have a lot of confidence in 3rd party charging networks expanding in these areas (yet?)

I'm also curious to see what battery degradation will be on these new SK batteries. I'm expecting the same ~5% drop after a few years, and if that holds true, a 230 mile truck will be below 220. That's still plenty for most day trips, but it's not a comfortable amount to go into DCFC deserts.

heelyeah

First Name
Tripp
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Bronco; 22 F150 Lightning; 21 Jeep JT (wife's)

IMG_0730.jpg

Do you charge to 100% every night? I've set my MME ER to stop charging at 90%, consistent with the recommendation in the owners manual. I normally only charge to 100% if going on a road trip and needing to eek out every bit of juice.

Sponsored
OP
OP
IdeaOfTheDayCom

IdeaOfTheDayCom

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
IdeaOfTheDay.Com
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Developer
I probably should, but I don't, but then again, I don't always plug it in when I know I have a lot of range and have no plans the next day.

For those who are curious, there are a few reasons most EVs should only be charged to 90% or less.

1. It takes a lot more energy to charge the remaining 10% from 90% to 100%, than it does to charge from any other 10% of range, such as from 50% to 50%.

2. As I mentioned, unless you are planning a long trip, you don't need that much range, so why bother?

3. Like cell phone batteries, they're optimized for 20 to 80%

4. When you hit the brakes, you're regenerating your battery, but if you're already at 100%, there's no place for that energy to go, so it pushes the battery beyond it's intended limit.

Thankfully, charging is controlled via software, so Ford optimizes power distribution to extend the life and range of the battery and minimize charging problems as much as possible.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Most warm days I see about 220 to 230, but we had over 90 degree weather yesterday for the first time since I got it.

Winter is another story numbers around 180 or so, but still more than I drive in one day.
Wow, still better than us. Usually between 140 and 160 in the winter. Today is actually the highest I have seen to date - 203 at 90% charge. I think it is still relearning form the winter since we got it Dec 31.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
A couple of points (we have an ER AWD Mach-E).

First, the GOM (Guess-O-Meter) isn't very accurate. Ford is working to improve that, some Early Access folks will be testing an Intelligent Range feature.

Second, you can't drive to zero. Most people recharge during a trip around 10 - 20%. Nor can you recharge to 100%, the Mach-E slows charging from 80 to 90%, and then again from 90% to 95%, and then again to 100%. Most people DC charge to 80% because of the speed and a particular route having plenty of stations.

Third, highway range will be lower than local range (see numbers below).

Fourth, whether you want more range or is up to your driving style. Me, I'm used to fueling my F-150 with a near 700 mile range, and driving. We stop for bathroom breaks, probably 10 minutes max. With an EV, you stop much more often, for longer.

Fifth, I'm surprised at how many people have to eat at every stop, and how many buy food at every stop. We pack a lunch on a day long trip, if we buy anything on the road it's coffee, and most times we don't. We most often stop by dinner for the night, if we go longer than sometimes we have packed a second set of sandwiches, sometimes we grab fast food, never do we go to a sit down restaurant.

Finally, stopping is not a panacea. 5+ minutes to get to the charger from the highway. 25% chance you'll need to switch chargers, wasting another 5+ minutes. 5+ minutes back to highway. 45 minute session is now an hour.

So let's look at reality. My Mach-E has over 9,000 miles on it, taken 3 long trips. My lifetime miles per kWh was 2.9, now is 3.0. On the highway, going 73, I've seen 3.0 rarely, only in perfect conditions. In reality, I get 2.7 or so.

91kWh battery x 2.7 = 246 mile range, but... starting from home it's 100%, starting from a charger it would be 80%. 91kWh x 0.8 x 2.7 = 197 mile range, but... I would normally go to 10% charge, so 91kWh x 0.7 x 2.7 = 172 miles between charges.

The F-150L is supposed to get 2.3. Let's say that compares to the 3.0 on the Mach-E, so 23% less. Do the math times the battery size you're considering.

We usually drive 500 - 600 miles a day on one to two day trips. Leaving with 100% charge, that's 3 to 4 charging stops. Leaving tomorrow, trip is 525 miles. 3 charging stops, about 1:40 in charging time on a trip that will take 8 1/2 hours just to drive. We add 20% in time on any trip before we even plan it.

Right now with 60 degrees overnight and this morning, I'm showing a potential 240 miles on the 2022 with a 91kWh battery, and 264 on the 2021 with a 88kWh battery (available, both are the same size). That shows how much the GOM is affected by driving, the 2022 has 66 miles on the odometer, the 2021 has 9,300.

adoublee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 EVs
I have a 40kWh Leaf EPA rated at 151 miles and with no active battery heating/cooling system. It works great for my uses, but is not the only vehicle in my household. I do not travel with it.

On the truck, I'm guessing you do not plan to tow a camper to nearby campground.

I am excited about extra HP, reduced battery degradation, increased AC power generation time, longer times between needing to charge even at home as I might back vehicle in daily but pull in to charge.

It's all about use cases, priorities/values, and financial capabiliy. I take that back, it's all about attitude and willingness to happily live within the capabilites of what one has.

Enjoy your truck when it finally comes!

Sponsored
OP
OP
IdeaOfTheDayCom

IdeaOfTheDayCom

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
IdeaOfTheDay.Com
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Developer
A couple of points (we have an ER AWD Mach-E).

First, the GOM (Guess-O-Meter) isn't very accurate. Ford is working to improve that, some Early Access folks will be testing an Intelligent Range feature.
Right now with 60 degrees overnight and this morning, I'm showing a potential 240 miles on the 2022 with a 91kWh battery, and 264 on the 2021 with a 88kWh battery (available, both are the same size). That shows how much the GOM is affected by driving, the 2022 has 66 miles on the odometer, the 2021 has 9,300.
Great points... the Guess is based on what Ford *thinks* you'll have based partially guessing what driving pattern you may have planned.

For example, I drive mainly around town with a NYC speed limit of 25 miles per hour on most local streets, 34 on larger avenues, and 50 mph on all highways... but you're lucky to get to those speeds with all the traffic, so it assumes that's what I have planned for today. Low speed driving = more range.

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech

Thanks for sharing this @IdeaOfTheDayCom -

100% agree that range anxiety seems to come from folks who have never had an EV or other EV drivers who tout the need for more range or because others on social media will scoff at non ER buyers....

I am lucky to have a PHEV for 4 years which taught me a lot about EV driving.

17kHh battery made me charge every night and drive totally different than my ICE vehicles focusing on how to get as much range as possible (coasting, light braking, paddle regen, no cabin heating, etc) - sort of a game.

Now that my Lightning is being built, I ordered the SR as I don't need more than 25 miles per day. My daily commute plus any weekend use will make charging a once a week routine.

I am very satisfied that I chose the SR with 230 miles of range which is more than I need and if I do take trips, I'll stop at more charge stations to rest and stretch since I need frequent rest stops along the way due to my back and sciatica.

My ABRP map to drive to MT from CA and fish the rivers in my Lightning:
Ford F-150 Lightning Why I don't have Range Anxiety ordering a Standard Range Screen Shot 2022-05-11 at 7.50.22 AM

OP
OP
IdeaOfTheDayCom

IdeaOfTheDayCom

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
IdeaOfTheDay.Com
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Developer
I have a 40kWh Leaf EPA rated at 151 miles and with no active battery heating/cooling system. It works great for my uses, but is not the only vehicle in my household. I do not travel with it.

On the truck, I'm guessing you do not plan to tow a camper to nearby campground.

I am excited about extra HP, reduced battery degradation, increased AC power generation time, longer times between needing to charge even at home as I might back vehicle in daily but pull in to charge.

It's all about use cases, priorities/values, and financial capabiliy. I take that back, it's all about attitude and willingness to happily live within the capabilites of what one has.

Enjoy your truck when it finally comes!
I camp in the Adirondacks, but I don't tow a camper. That's going to be the biggest challenge for me each year. It's a very long drive from the NYC area, and there's a big elevation change, and very few places to charge when I get near the camp sites.

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
as a current owner of a 2014 Nissan Leaf my son now drives, when needed, to campus 18 miles and back, and my former 2015 Nissan Leaf that I recently sold, and both with maybe '60' miles of range, at least in comfort mode, I have NO ISSUES WHATSOEVER with a vehicle, regardless of whether a Fantastic New TRUCK, like the LIGHTNING PRO, or any other battery-powered vehicle, with 'only' 230 miles EPA range.
The reality is that most who proclaim that they just simply would 'never' be able to contemplate buying a battery-vehicle until it gets 'at least' 500 miles on a single charge are those who will be the LAST to buy one. That's fine with me. More to go around for the rest of us.

And, while battery technology and range may increase in the future, it, again, almost doesn't make sense, as Tesla's own Elon Musk has stated, to carry around such a LARGE and HEAVY battery for your 'most everyday' usage. I don't need a v8 for my 10mile commute. I 'like' to have it for the one time in life I really needed to tow a 15,000lb trailer, but my everyday life really calls for something more like a 4cyl 45mpg car.... oh well, I guess that's what rental trucks are for.

OP
OP
IdeaOfTheDayCom

IdeaOfTheDayCom

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
IdeaOfTheDay.Com
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Developer
Thanks for sharing this @IdeaOfTheDayCom -

100% agree that range anxiety seems to come from folks who have never had an EV or other EV drivers who tout the need for more range or because others on social media will scoff at non ER buyers....

I am very satisfied that I chose the SR with 230 miles of range which is more than I need and if I do take trips, I'll stop at more charge stations to rest and stretch since I need frequent rest stops along the way due to my back and sciatica.

My ABRP map to drive to MT from CA and fish the rivers in my Lightning:
Screen Shot 2022-05-11 at 7.50.22 AM.png
Maps like these are perfect examples of how EVs can handle long trips, and that one looks epic!

Ditto for the need for back and sciatica breaks. If I sit too long without walking around a bit I can barely move around.
Sponsored