• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Will Charge Station Pro charge non Ford EVs?

saturnschildren

First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat XR, 2008 Ridgeline, 1953 Unimog
Yes. They just need to have the correct plug on the car or an adapter. A friend charged his VW this summer using my CSP

ScubaSteve_TheReal

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Platinum - Carbonized Gray Metallic
Occupation
Derivatives
It looks like old thread, sorry…but I am getting ready within 30days to finally install mine. So if it has ability to charge other vehicles with same large size plug that is good to hear. I have not looked to see if is a NACS adapter available yet that will work with charge station pro, still researching…. Unless same adapter that Ford is sending us would work to convert to charge station pro to charge a Tesla etc. We are looking at getting a Tesla down the road and would like to be able to use our 80amp charge station pro output for other vehicles.

Last edited:

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
It looks like old thread, sorry…but I am getting ready within 30days to finally install mine. So if it has ability to charge other vehicles with same large size plug that is good to hear. I have not looked to see if is a NACS adapter available yet that will work with charge station pro, still researching…. Unless same adapter that Forc is sending us would work to convert to charge station pro to charge a Tesla etc. We are looking at getting a Tesla down the road and would like to be able to use our 80amp charge station pro output for other vehicles.
See discussion here: https://www.f150lightningforum.com/forum/threads/i-need-info-on-home-charging.18918/post-380669

Sponsored

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
It looks like old thread, sorry…but I am getting ready within 30days to finally install mine. So if it has ability to charge other vehicles with same large size plug that is good to hear. I have not looked to see if is a NACS adapter available yet that will work with charge station pro, still researching…. Unless same adapter that Forc is sending us would work to convert to charge station pro to charge a Tesla etc. We are looking at getting a Tesla down the road and would like to be able to use our 80amp charge station pro output for other vehicles.
NACS, or a Tesla adaptor that works on a DCFC, will not work with the FCSP. Those adaptors utilize the DC pins. Not the AC pins.

ScubaSteve_TheReal

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Derivatives
NACS, or a Tesla adaptor that works on a DCFC, will not work with the FCSP. Those adaptors utilize the DC pins. Not the AC pins.
Thank you. So the hunt for a solution Is still ongoing to future proof for NACS equipping the FCSP once I get it installed here soon. BTW I have two FCSP units for different locations so it’s double trouble so far lol. All ideas now open to me. TIA

NCMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Red Lariat Lightning
Sell the charge station pros and find a 80amp Gen 2 tesla charger along with an 80amp adapter from A2Z or Teslatap. Your truck will charge at 80amps and will be future proofed for the switch to NACS. There are several on ebay.

ScubaSteve_TheReal

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Derivatives
Sell the charge station pros and find a 80amp Gen 2 tesla charger along with an 80amp adapter from A2Z or Teslatap. Your truck will charge at 80amps and will be future proofed for the switch to NACS. There are several on ebay.
Thanks. All options are on the table until I install them of course. Using what I have was first thought. Your idea is a definite option to consider.

NCMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Thanks. All options are on the table until I install them of course. Using what I have was first thought. Your idea is a definite option to consider.
Completely understand. I went through the same thought process as you. The biggest problem with the charge station pro is that CCS connector being used for AC level 2 charging. There are no adapters to go from CCS to NACS AC level 2 charging. If you keep the charge station pros, your looking at either replacing the cord and plug in the future or taking a hack saw to the CCS connector to modify it to work with J1772 to NACS adapters.

Sponsored

cdherman

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RAV4 Prime, 2016 Leaf
Completely understand. I went through the same thought process as you. The biggest problem with the charge station pro is that CCS connector being used for AC level 2 charging. There are no adapters to go from CCS to NACS AC level 2 charging. If you keep the charge station pros, your looking at either replacing the cord and plug in the future or taking a hack saw to the CCS connector to modify it to work with J1772 to NACS adapters.
Are you sure about that? There are adapters to allow J1772 to NACS. The upper part of CCS is just a J1772. Thus you can charge the Lighting with any old J1772 (We use an Emporia 48A J1772 out on the farm, in town my brother uses the FCSP with the CCS)

"There are no adapters to go from CCS to NACS AC level 2 charging." But you don't need that. Just J1772 to NACS.

If it fits. Perhaps there is some physical limitation? Has someone tried? I may have to buy an 80A J1772 to NACS to try on the CCS of the FCSP -- but I don't have a Tesla to prove it.

On a separate thread, another poster suggested that perhaps the CCS of the FCSP can be modified to get rid of the DC pins (they are needed ONLY if the FCSP is used for backup power). After some modification, a J1772 to NACS adaptor would fit for sure.

So many options......

ScubaSteve_TheReal

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Derivatives
It wound be amazing if a NACS or even a J1772 ended retrofit cable were to be made available as an option to swap out the original FCSP cable. The FCSP is such an expensive piece of equipment to become obsolete so quickly is a shame.

NCMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Are you sure about that? There are adapters to allow J1772 to NACS. The upper part of CCS is just a J1772. Thus you can charge the Lighting with any old J1772 (We use an Emporia 48A J1772 out on the farm, in town my brother uses the FCSP with the CCS)

"There are no adapters to go from CCS to NACS AC level 2 charging." But you don't need that. Just J1772 to NACS.

If it fits. Perhaps there is some physical limitation? Has someone tried? I may have to buy an 80A J1772 to NACS to try on the CCS of the FCSP -- but I don't have a Tesla to prove it.

On a separate thread, another poster suggested that perhaps the CCS of the FCSP can be modified to get rid of the DC pins (they are needed ONLY if the FCSP is used for backup power). After some modification, a J1772 to NACS adaptor would fit for sure.

So many options......

Heres my experience and what my comments are based off of.

The ford charge station pro would not charge my wife's Volvo XC90 recharge because it was only J1772, not CCS. That was a problem. There was no CCS to J1772 adapter. I guess a J1772 extension cable may work but I didn't want to spend the time or effort to worry with it. This is only a problem for plug in hybrids.

My other comments were based on threads on this forum where a J1772 to NACS adapter would not fit the CCS plug of the charge station pro without modifying the CCS plug or the J1772 adapter. Even then it didn't seem to be reliable. https://www.f150lightningforum.com/...tion-not-charging-my-wifes-tesla.14431/page-3

I hope someone can find a reliable way to make it work but at the time of my installation, I actually saved money by selling the charge station pro and buying the 80amp Gen2 tesla charger and I didn't have to purchased adapters and hack them up voiding the warranty.
Sponsored