• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Will The Lightning Pro Have Remote Start Through the App?

texastrucker

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning
Occupation
Marketing
Since we learned that the Pro is going to require a key to start and not "push-to-start", will starting the car remotely be possible? I ask because I'm hoping to get an Agate Black Pro, and I live in Texas, where the summer heat will be unbearable without remote start.
Sponsored

rdr854

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 Volvo V90, 22 Ford F150 Lightning, 23 Outback
Since we learned that the Pro is going to require a key to start and not "push-to-start", will starting the car remotely be possible? I ask because I'm hoping to get an Agate Black Pro, and I live in Texas, where the summer heat will be unbearable without remote start.
I know that my traditional key based Suburban has remote start. I don’t see why that wold be an impediment on a Ford product.

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
Their marketing pamphlet still states the Pro will come standard with Push Button start.

Those livestreams have been wrong before.

That being said, having a Push Button vs normal Key Turn has nothing to do with remote start capabilities. I've had remote start on both types of vehicles.

PA Lightning

First Name
Tbone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Pro
I had a Gladiator with a push button start, no remote start. Could lock and unlock from the phone, but not start it.
Could be the same for Ford.

adoublee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 EVs
I know that my traditional key based Suburban has remote start. I don’t see why that wold be an impediment on a Ford product.
It's kind of a different animal because it is not a starter to just cut a RF signal controlled relay into.

What you are wanting is "pre-conditioning", and I believe all versions should be capable based on spec sheet indicating all have telematics that would be needed for over the air firmware updates. The advantage of telematics based pre-conditioning is that you don't even have to be near the vehicle to initiate like tradition remote start key fobs.

There can be manufacturer limitations though, like limiting the preconditions to times when it is plugged in. I think there has been discussion about how the Mach E works but I don't recall.

Sponsored

Static

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
My key start xl has remote start via the app, as a point of reference

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
It will come with push button start, why would you need a physical key to start an EV?

cstring

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius Prime
it would be incredibly dumb if they put a key start into just the Pro, didn't they standardize most components across the trim as a cost-saving?

Sponsored

Lime Green

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-350, Expedition Max, Tesla...
Button... key... doesn't matter. You're not "starting" the car. Both button and key are totally unnecessary, but it seems car makers think people will be confused without such a thing. Makes much more sense in a Tesla or the few other EVs where you press the brake and the car comes to life.

Physical key on the Pro could be handy so that's there's a physical object needed by the approved driver.

Not sure why the feature of remotely starting systems in the car via the app would not be there for the Pro or any other model. Makes sense to fire up the heat/AC ahead of time. Excellent when it's cold out to both warm up the cabin and battery before unplugging and driving off.

tbinmd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 KR F150
According to the tech spec sheet that came out earlier this year, all models have push button start.

PungoteagueDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX, Porsche C4S, Ford F-350 KR, Ford F-150 K
Occupation
retired
It likely won't have remote "Start" but neither does my Tesla - however it does have remote functions that do the same thing - like remote cabin preheater and remote battery preheat. These are useful in cold climates, or hot climates when you want to have the car ready while still hooked to the charger. My Tesla is even "smart" enough to be summoned with no drive - it will open the garage door, come around from the side entrance to the front, closing the door behind it, all on its own, with supervision (I need to be holding the fob or my smartphone while it does all of this).
Sponsored