• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Will the Lightning support a snow plow?

GarageMahal

First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Mercury Marauder; 2023 Lightning XLT SR
Occupation
Geek
So the current F-150 can handle a snow plow on models without turbos and I am hoping the Lightning can too since it shouldn't need extra airflow up front for cooling. I get that plows draw a lot of power and range may be greatly reduced which is acceptable to me. All I really need is to clear a couple of driveways that take under an hour total.
Sponsored

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
So the current F-150 can handle a snow plow on models without turbos and I am hoping the Lightning can too since it shouldn't need extra airflow up front for cooling. I get that plows draw a lot of power and range may be greatly reduced which is acceptable to me. All I really need is to clear a couple of driveways that take under an hour total.
I think the bigger question is not are you blocking cooling, but are the attachment points present and the same as on the current truck? We know the front end of the lightning is different, but we don't really know yet how different the bumper and/or bumper mounts are.

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development

I'm wondering this, as well. I had taken it as a given that it would be compatible with new gen F150 plow mounts but I admit I don't know for sure.

TRP

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium 4X, 2018 Ford F150xlt Sport
Since the frame is new, any aftermarket items that frame mount are up in the air, at lest as far as I can discern.

I need a gooseneck hitch, I have one on our current 2018 F150 XLT from B&W Hitch. Ford says they don't offer one for their F150s, the doesn't mean no one else does. It just may take a bit for the aftermarket to catch up.

Someone will make plows, hitches, bumpers, whatever that fit this truck. We may just need to wait for it to hit the street first. Maybe this is a positive for those of us late reservation holders

SteffanG

First Name
Steffan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Audi Q5 (written off), 2008 F150 XLT HDPP
Occupation
Electrician
Aftermarket may not support the Lightning for a few years on anything that is different. There just isn't enough volume for them to make any effort to do it unless it is a very slight re-design from their existing one. Plus, to design it they would need to get their hands on one.
Aftermarket usually doesn't design parts for low volume vehicles, and when they do the parts are expensive due to the low volume. Engineering and manufacturing costs need to spread out and it is a lot less of a hit on 100,000 parts than on 10,000 parts.

Sponsored

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
In addition to being able to mount to the truck frame, you will need to ensure that the frunk will clear it

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
Aftermarket may not support the Lightning for a few years on anything that is different. There just isn't enough volume for them to make any effort to do it unless it is a very slight re-design from their existing one. Plus, to design it they would need to get their hands on one.
Aftermarket usually doesn't design parts for low volume vehicles, and when they do the parts are expensive due to the low volume. Engineering and manufacturing costs need to spread out and it is a lot less of a hit on 100,000 parts than on 10,000 parts.

There are lots of low volume sports cars with large aftermarket parts availability and, ultimately, the Lightning will not be low volume. Porsche sells like 3,000 Caymans a year and there's a huge aftermarket presence for those cars. They've sold less than 50,000 Caymans in the US since the car was released in 2006. The Lightning will pass that in a year if Ford can get its production straight. Early release aftermarket parts for the Lightning will definitely carry a big premium, though.

Sundancer330

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT, FX4, Velocity Blue
Maybe one of the lightweight plastic plows would work. First a plow draws lots of power, very heavy and even the regular F150 is not a good platform for a snow plow. I have a F350 with a 7.5 Western plow and plow package. Every time you hit the toggle the volt meter drops big time, I would not want to plow anything with a Lightning, not what its made for.

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
Maybe one of the lightweight plastic plows would work. First a plow draws lots of power, very heavy and even the regular F150 is not a good platform for a snow plow. I have a F350 with a 7.5 Western plow and plow package. Every time you hit the toggle the volt meter drops big time, I would not want to plow anything with a Lightning, not what its made for.

EVs can deliver more instantaneous power than a gas engine. Other than range concerns EVs should probably be better plow vehicles.

OP
OP
GarageMahal

GarageMahal

First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Mercury Marauder; 2023 Lightning XLT SR
Occupation
Geek
EVs can deliver more instantaneous power than a gas engine. Other than range concerns EVs should probably be better plow vehicles.
The Boss HTX line comes in under 400lbs which should be fine. Totally agree the a professional plow is too heavy.

DC power is my main concern and I have not been able to get any firm answers on capability. Hopefully its a simple as adding another 12v battery to buffer the draw.

Sponsored

Dadofjax

First Name
DadofJax
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
Sure you can plow with the new lighting but anything over a 2in snow fall with drop your range to about 20 miles. Remember your range drastically drops already when it's cold.

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
Sure you can plow with the new lighting but anything over a 2in snow fall with drop your range to about 20 miles. Remember your range drastically drops already when it's cold.

My driveway is only 250 ft. I hope it has enough range!

Dadofjax

First Name
DadofJax
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
My driveway is only 250 ft. I hope it has enough range!
Yep doesn't change what I said. First part said sure you can, so yep knock yourself out with your 250 foot driveway.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E, 2016 Leaf, 2003 Toyota Tacoma
Occupation
retired oceanographer
Where in the world are you getting this. Folks driving Mustang Mach Es in the snow don't see a drop that severe and they only have 5.8" of clearance.

Dadofjax

First Name
DadofJax
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
Where in the world are you getting this. Folks driving Mustang Mach Es in the snow don't see a drop that severe and they only have 5.8" of clearance.
First the snow measurement had to do with how much power it will require to move the snow.

Seconds Lots of articles and videos go over this. It's common knowledge regarding EVs.

https://www.geotab.com/blog/ev-range/

As you turn up or down the temperature, however, the loss of range is apparent. At -15 C (5 F), EVs drop to 54% of their rated range, meaning a car that is rated for 250 miles (402 km) will only get on average 135 miles (217 km).
Sponsored