• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Windshield tiny dots specks that show in bright sunlight?

GoodSam

First Name
Good
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17CRV, 22 Lightning XLT 312A SR iced blue silver
Occupation
occupying space
Something I thought that I could clean off, but now seems impossible, is that the Windshield is covered by numerous tiny bright dots or pin points (say, on average, less than 1/4" apart) that appear when the sun shines almost directly through them. Has anyone else noticed a problem like that?

I thought it was maybe an overspray by a quick detailer that I used, but after a few attempts with normal window cleaning products, the dots do not seem to be disappearing and it seems to somewhat continuously, but without any pattern, to cover the whole windshield area. I think it must be a light overspray of something very sticky at the factory that got on the windshield. I have not noticed if the whole vehicle has a coating of speckles. I took magnifying glass but I could not see anything on nearby surfaces, but neither could I see dots on the surface of the glass from the outside. Do not see on or through the driver's side glass. Maybe a dust storm during transport etched the glass? Something sticky from the covering used during transport? A very fine tree sap? But no smearing of a goo during cleaning. Very tiny, but annoying when the sun or a bright flashlight shines through them. Maybe a "Clay bar" treatment can remove it? It looks like a fingernail could scrap it off, but no effect so far. Have not tried a razor blade.

I have read some articles that say it is just the way glass is put together with the inner plastic that can cause the speckling of tiny bright dots. Please say there is a remedy for this problem?

Update: Here are a couple of photos at 800pixels wide reduced from 4000pixels. This is after a claybar treatment by the dealer. I am amazed at the specks that I was able to see across the windshield from the passenger side. Today I started the process with the dealer service dept. to contact Ford for a warranty replacement.
Ford F-150 Lightning Windshield tiny dots specks that show in bright sunlight? VC063369.JPG

Ford F-150 Lightning Windshield tiny dots specks that show in bright sunlight? VC063375.JPG

Update: tried the isopropyl alcohol and after a few attempts, I think it removed some sparkling excess dust and maybe some particles left by the dealer claybar, but a sparser pattern of bright specks still remains. Need to get a good photo of that.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
There was something on our Mach-E windshield that we didn't notice until we drove it at night. I ended up wiping it down with rubbing alcohol to get it off. Looks clear now.