• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Winter Storage

Tentman

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Occupation
Self Employed
Im planning to store my Lightning indoors over the winter (cold weather location). Wondering if anyone knows what I might need to for the batteries. On ICE trucks I have used a small drip charger to maintain a charge?
Sponsored

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
If it is going to get quite cold (i.e. where you are in Canada), and you are storing for a long duration in the cold, I would set the max charge to 50% or 60% and leave it plugged in (L1 or L2). The truck will take care of itself.

Very curious why you are storing the Lightning for the winter though - seems like a great winter vehicle to me. I usually think of winter storage for high performance sports cars or classics.

GarageMahal

First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Mercury Marauder; 2023 Lightning XLT SR
Occupation
Geek
Very curious why you are storing the Lightning for the winter though - seems like a great winter vehicle to me. I usually think of winter storage for high performance sports cars or classics.
Me too as the Lightning is going to be my primary vehicle in the winter.

OP
OP

Tentman

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Occupation
Self Employed
If it is going to get quite cold (i.e. where you are in Canada), and you are storing for a long duration in the cold, I would set the max charge to 50% or 60% and leave it plugged in (L1 or L2). The truck will take care of itself.

Heading south for warmer weather! So your saying plug it in at 50% then let it fill to 100% and manage itself fir 5 months?

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Heading south for warmer weather! So your saying plug it in at 50% then let it fill to 100% and manage itself fir 5 months?
No, set the charge limit at 50% and leave it so it stays around 50%. That is what Ford recommends for long term storage.

Sponsored

GarageMahal

First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Geek
Good answer!

I think the idea is to set max charge to 50%. Check the owners manual however as I recall something about long term storage in there. As long as it can be plugged in, the battery should take care of itself however.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Tentman

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Occupation
Self Employed
No, set the charge limit at 50% and leave it so it stays around 50%. That is what Ford recommends for long term storage.
Thanks

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mastang Mach-E Grabber Blue First Edition
Good answer!

I think the idea is to set max charge to 50 or 60% but start off will a charge closer to 90%. Check the owners manual however as I recall something about long term storage in there. As long as it can be plugged in, the battery should take care of itself however.
Not sure where or why you got 90%, but NO! Ford recommends storing at 50% SOC and set max charge to 50%, and disconnecting 12V battery.

Ford F-150 Lightning Winter Storage 1664237295592

GarageMahal

First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Geek
Not sure where or why you got 90%, but NO! Ford recommends storing at 50% SOC and set max charge to 50%, and disconnecting 12V battery.

1664237295592.png
Agreed. Thought I edited that out before posting the rest. Fixing it now.

tls

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning
If the 12V battery is entirely disconnected, will the vehicle actually charge?

Sponsored

petemill

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 ER Lariat +PRB +Unleashed, '11 ford escape v6
Occupation
Software
Do not disconnect the 12v battery if leaving the vehicle plugged in. That's nonsensical since 12v modules might be needed occasionally if other HV modules are active. That's not what Ford is suggesting. They're suggesting just leaving it at 50% and unplugging the 12v battery. In other words, not connected to the EV charger either. I would do either - plugged in to EV charger and leave 12v battery connected, or disconnect EV charger and 12v battery. The HV battery will be fine for a couple months at 50%.

salengueros

First Name
salen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda
Storing your Lightning indoors over the winter sounds like a great idea to protect it from the cold weather. As for the batteries, keep them charged to avoid any issues when you're ready to use the vehicle again. A small drip charger is a good option, or you could look into a battery maintainer or tender. You could also consider disconnecting the batteries to prevent any drainage over the winter. And also, if you're looking for indoor storage options, have you considered checking out storage units? They can be a great option for keeping your vehicle safe and secure during winter.

Last edited:

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
No where does it say to leave it plugged in. It says to get the battery to around 50%, and disconnect the 12v. Do NOT leave it plugged in.
Agreed. IMO, those instructions consider “Stored” as not plugged in. None of the storage facilities around here will have power available for this kind of use.

If plugging in is available, I think that’s a better option. Set to 50% and don’t disconnect anything. This is especially good for the HVB if subject to temperature extremes.
Sponsored