• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Ford's epic Lightning bait-and-switch is complete (the official "I'm out" thread).

Status
Not open for further replies.

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
The people active on this forum are less than 0.1% of reservations. I wouldn't say that any poll here is representative of the general population of reservation holders.

I agree it's not representative but I still think it's fair to say way more than 5% of reservation holders would go for the Pro model given the options available.
Sponsored

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
I can't understand why manufacturers can't do something to stop dealers from ripping off their customers.
Because the way the system has been setup, there is very little legally that the manufacturer can do to set actual vehicle price. There is both a contract signed with the dealership and in most states additional laws also governing the manufacturer/dealer relationship.

V8Nissan

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
00 super duty, 99 crown vic, 14 370z,14 expedition
Just read all of this, I'm glad I canceled. I communicated for months last summer with Ford media, Ford Facebook and my local dealer. Each one telling me a different story when I inquired about the pro with extended battery. I was told I would be able to buy it by Ford Facebook and the dealer but when I really dug deep and spoke with someone on the lightning team they said it would not be available for purchase. I quoted multiple articles including motor trend and multiple emails stating that I could purchase this truck but it fell on deaf ears at Ford. Terrible customer service and terrible experience. Been a Ford guy all my life as well as family and friends. I think it's time to look elsewhere. And don't get me started on the hideous unibody avalanche relaunch abomination...

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'19 Jaguar I-Pace, '22 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Plumber
Just read all of this, I'm glad I canceled. I communicated for months last summer with Ford media, Ford Facebook and my local dealer. Each one telling me a different story when I inquired about the pro with extended battery. I was told I would be able to buy it by Ford Facebook and the dealer but when I really dug deep and spoke with someone on the lightning team they said it would not be available for purchase. I quoted multiple articles including motor trend and multiple emails stating that I could purchase this truck but it fell on deaf ears at Ford. Terrible customer service and terrible experience. Been a Ford guy all my life as well as family and friends. I think it's time to look elsewhere. And don't get me started on the hideous unibody avalanche relaunch abomination...
Ford never publicly stated that they would sell the Pro ER to consumers in MY22. I'd love to see the communications you're talking about because this is all news to me.

Sponsored

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
I agree it's not representative but I still think it's fair to say way more than 5% of reservation holders would go for the Pro model given the options available.
Ford believes that less than 10% of people placing an order for 2022 year model trucks will want the standard range battery.
They have way underestimated ask other aspects of demand for this truck so I wouldn't be surprised if they way underestimated the number of pro orders that will be placed because of how they have priced the XLT

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
I'm going to have a Lightning Pro SR.
Unless I die first, of course.

Ford is going to build a BUNCH of Ford Lightning trucks. Eventually they will build the one that's going to end up in my barn.

Until then, I'll just breath. :)
I'm just going to go on record as saying it first.
When they get the new factory running, I bet the first full year of production (probably 2026), half of the f150s made by Ford that year will be fully electric.

AutonomousHybridF150

First Name
Kristopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost
Occupation
Adjuster
The Ford F-150 Lightning. When I get those 3 words I think of 351ci pushrod V8. I then think of 5.4 SOHC with 380HP and even more gobs of asphalt twisting torque. What I think of a lightning, as the logo suggests (lightning bolt), it’s something that is very fast. The people that can purchase something branded a lightning that are has less range and less horsepower in Sporting around like it’s a real lightning should feel lucky. All of you that are whining and complaining about a $20,000 price tag for the extended range lightning clearly don’t understand what it comes with that $20,000 price tag.

$20,000 for XLT Extended Range = The Signature Lightning Experience

I know I need to explain this here, because it is obvious that so many are just upset about 70 more miles of range, but the ER is just so much more.
The ER Lightning is the only Fast lightning, the other truck is never going to be fast like the real lightning. It’s not just extra battery. The ER option is also the extra amperage needed to drive the ER’s instant 563HP and 775TQ to the wheels, it’s solar and power wall capability built into the heavier amperage inverter, and finally you get to take it to the track and say this is a Real Lightning (IE not the low power one).

So with that all being said, let me correct some of the confusion.
The lariat package SR setup is 67k and the Lariat ER setup is 77k, which is no where near the 20k “bait and switch” everyone here is crying about. The XLT model, which is nearly base trim for a Lightning, SHOULD cost 20k more for the extra HIGH Horsepower drivetrain. There are other supporting components in the system once you trim up, so the ER actually costs ford less to add on those higher trim vehicles. But that’s besides the point. If I want a fast Lariat Lightning, I have to pay a steep price. And if you want a high horsepower XLT, you’re gonna have to pay the price too.

Let me settle everyone’s nerves on this because NO Lightning fanatic would get upset about paying 20k extra on an XLT trim truck for the high horsepower model. It’s likely a lighter truck, so an XLT Lightning will ultimately be faster than a Lariat or higher trim truck, so if you want that too, you have to break out the cash. Or stop whining and let someone else take that reservation, because they aren’t giving them out anymore.

The Lightning has always been a symbol of Truck Speed and power. This is a new twist on the Lightning brand and it has drawn a bunch of people that care more about 70 miles extra than they do the extra HP the ER allows.

No One here has mentioned that the Lightning ER in any trim will be a 4.0 second 0-60 mph Truck Rocket. And honestly, being an old lighting fan myself, it kind of makes me sick that everyone is in this thread on this forum complaining about the price tag of the absolute fastest production Truck on the planet.

If it was 100k the Lightning alumni would come back and get one. You can call it bait and switch all you want, but Ford released some pricing early on, and I just finished looking at the pricing tool where I see no meaningful difference in the overall price.

Is the Pro ER a publicity stunt to hype PR about a new product, where ford is losing money on the sales. Probably. Does Ford want to sell you an additional truck to lose even more money? No.

It’s a Lightning. If you want the 563 HP BEAST Called Lightning, then get the ER because it will 100% worth it. The TQ numbers are probably under rated on the ER anyway. If you are here complaining because you were misled by your own foolishness, then please stop posting here. The lighting ER is going to be an amazing truck that sport enthusiast tinker with for years to come. The XLT model of the ER costing 20k more is totally fine with me sir.

I’ve paid my dues to the SVT gods multiple times in the past, and every other person out there should too. Pro, XLT, or Other. That my friend is why the XLT costs 20k more for the ER. To keep the whiny children out of the big boys club. Anything with 563 HP was visited by these Ford SVT folk, so you gotta know you’re going to pay fir

AutonomousHybridF150

First Name
Kristopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost
Occupation
Adjuster
Ford believes that less than 10% of people placing an order for 2022 year model trucks will want the standard range battery.
They have way underestimated ask other aspects of demand for this truck so I wouldn't be surprised if they way underestimated the number of pro orders that will be placed because of how they have priced the XLT
Everything I just said previously is why Estimates this. Let me translate this for you…..Ford Knows the REAL lightning owners will get the HIGH horsepower model. The other new adopters will be on the forums complaining about the price of the fastest production truck to be built.

Sponsored

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
If I'm not mistaken, the SR is supposed to be less than a second slower than the ER.
Also the SR will support the home backup.
The 2001 svt lightning had a 0-60 of 5.2 seconds. The SR 2022+ should be that quick as well. Or pretty damn close. And guess what, high altitude won't affect the horsepower.

But you know what. I don't give a shit because I don't think I'll ever actually drive it that fast. And my 215 hp in my current 20 year old truck tows my camper trailer just fine so the 400+ of the SR will certainly be more than adequate.
However, I would really love to have the extra 30-50 miles range when towing because as of today, on some routes that I might take to go camping, that extra range makes the difference between being able to make the journey or not. But for $20k I'm going to have to make due without. I can afford a $50k truck, I could probably stretch to afford a $60k truck, but there's no way I can afford (or want to buy) a $75k truck. So ya I understand why a lot of people are disappointed that the ER option ended up being bundled with an additional $10k option package.

It's good that we are talking about it here because I can assure you that the high level executives at Ford are aware of this forum and what people are discussing.

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
The SR has the same torque rating as the ER so it's likely that the drivetrain is identical, in the sense that an EV even has a drive train...which it doesn't. Does the ER even have different motors? Or, is the difference just in the voltage delivery to the motor? I don't recall exactly what the HP numbers were but something like 460/560 for SR/ER? The SR is still a very fast truck.

For those who haven't driven EVs, for everyday driving the instant torque is what makes it great to drive. 0-60 and HP numbers don't really capture that properly. In my dinky little Bolt the tires chirp when I hit the accelerator at 40mph. And it's so easy and uneventful to launch full bore it from a standstill. ICE engines take some effort to get everything out of them, when magazines do reviews they're usually brake standing vehicles with auto trans to get the numbers. With EVs it's just mash and go. No heavy parts that need to pick up momentum in the engine and drive train, just electrons doing their thing.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost Platinum
I'm guessing the "software" is different in the SR, but yes, same motors. (you KNOW there's going to be tuners licking their chops)

Anyone in an SR that's disappointed in the performance can let me know and I'll take it off their hands AND give them my reservation so they can get right back in line. :)

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
The SR has the same torque rating as the ER so it's likely that the drivetrain is identical, in the sense that an EV even has a drive train...which it doesn't. Does the ER even have different motors? Or, is the difference just in the voltage delivery to the motor? I don't recall exactly what the HP numbers were but something like 460/560 for SR/ER? The SR is still a very fast truck.

For those who haven't driven EVs, for everyday driving the instant torque is what makes it great to drive. 0-60 and HP numbers don't really capture that properly. In my dinky little Bolt the tires chirp when I hit the accelerator at 40mph. And it's so easy and uneventful to launch full bore it from a standstill. ICE engines take some effort to get everything out of them, when magazines do reviews they're usually brake standing vehicles with auto trans to get the numbers. With EVs it's just mash and go. No heavy parts that need to pick up momentum in the engine and drive train, just electrons doing their thing.
Yes the SR vs. ER differences will come in at higher speeds. They will both launch the same (SR slightly faster due to less weight), but then the SR will start to looks torque earlier as the battery hits limits. Best swag I have is the SR will hold full torque until 30 or 35 and the ER will hold it until 45ish. Everywhere above 30/35 the ER will be faster than the SR.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.