• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Lightning reservation numbers sequence / pattern?

SteffanG

First Name
Steffan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Audi Q5 (written off), 2008 F150 XLT HDPP
Occupation
Electrician
Does anyone know how exactly the reservation numbers work? If you look at the list they are all over the place comparing to the dates.
I reserved exactly 38mins after reveal, but my number is higher than someone that reserved the next day. There are also a few others that are higher numbers than someone who reserved at a later date.
Sponsored

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E, 2016 Leaf, 2003 Toyota Tacoma
Occupation
retired oceanographer
tl;dr: Don't get caught up on reservation numbers.

We went through this ad nauseam with the Mustang Mach E reservation system. Analyzing the timing of reservations the night of the MME reveal showed there were three to four servers/server banks running simultaneously, each accessing a different set of 1000 reservation numbers (4000-4999, 5000-5999, 6000-6999, and maybe 7000-7999). Reservation numbers appeared to have been issues sequentially from each set of numbers but simultaneously across the sets. As all reservations were not completed, all numbers were not assigned, leaving gaps. Ford repeatedly stated that timestamp matters, not reservation number.

More importantly, the order bank was opened to all reservation holders simultaneously. It didn't matter if you had the first or the last reservation when it came time to make orders. However, the order number was the same as the reservation number, so the reservation number still had some value.

Production was not sequential by reservation or order. Lots of variables are considered to optimize line speed and sequence production to allow freight cars to be loaded for destination rail yards. Similar issues came up at shipping time to maximize shipping efficiency.

I've heard similar stories when the system was later used for Bronco Sports and Broncos.

Brian Head Yankee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bronco Sport, Chevy Colorado 4x4
Yep, as I have said before, you are in line at YOUR dealer. I may be a day behind you but first in line at my dealer. If you start obsessing over it, all the fun will be gone. You can call your dealer and ask where you are in their line to get an idea of where you are overall.

OP
OP

SteffanG

First Name
Steffan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Audi Q5 (written off), 2008 F150 XLT HDPP
Occupation
Electrician
Ah I see, I'm just trying to get a rough idea of when I would get it as we need a new truck for our farm.
It may be a bit different on shipping than other models as it is right beside their ICE f150 plant which ships out a lot of trucks so they could be combined in the shipments of those.

tkeru408

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F150 Platinum, 2022 F150 Lightning Preorder
Yep, as I have said before, you are in line at YOUR dealer. I may be a day behind you but first in line at my dealer. If you start obsessing over it, all the fun will be gone. You can call your dealer and ask where you are in their line to get an idea of where you are overall.
Do you happen to know how it works when someone switches their dealer? If I were to switch dealers at some point before the order books open, is my spot in the new dealer's line based on when I switched to them (get in the back of the line on that day) or is my spot in the new dealer's line based on my original reservation time stamp (cutting in front of others at that dealer with later reservation time stamps)? Seems like it should be the latter, but I'm not sure.

Sponsored

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired oceanographer
How much your place in line within your dealer's orders will really depend on how closely Ford follow the model they used for the Mustang Mach E. With the Mach E, the dealer really had no say. They often didn't even know what was arriving until the car carrier showed up. Because buyers had their VIN for up to 4 months before delivery, it was all a matter of Ford's scheduling. It sounds like almost all deliveries of the Lightning will be pre-orders, so I suspect Ford will follow a model close to that of the Mach E where almost every delivered vehicle was attached to a customer order.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired oceanographer
Do you happen to know how it works when someone switches their dealer? If I were to switch dealers at some point before the order books open, is my spot in the new dealer's line based on when I switched to them (get in the back of the line on that day) or is my spot in the new dealer's line based on my original reservation time stamp (cutting in front of others at that dealer with later reservation time stamps)? Seems like it should be the latter, but I'm not sure.
For the Mach E, all orders carried the original reservation time stamp, even if you moved from one dealer to another. Dealers received a $500 bonus if the sale was from the same dealership as the original reservation.

RavenYZF-R6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma
I asked a high volume dealer that has good incentives about switching to them, and they said it would not affect your place in line at all to switch. Reservations are by time, not dealer allotment. Or so they say.

Blainestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55, Pro
The FAQ on the Lightning site says you can switch dealers without affecting your place in line, which leads me to believe those saying there effectively isn’t a line at the dealer. It’s more of an overall line and your dealer is just the delivery method. Otherwise, moving to a different dealer would put you at the end of their line, which would all most certainly delay your delivery vs staying with your original dealer.
Sponsored