• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Winter Tires and Rims

merek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat ER [6/20]
Has anyone driven the stock tires on snow yet? Looking at them does not seem promising so I was looking at picking upsnows and rims...

Any thoughts on 17 or 18 or 20in? I would think 17in would be the sensible choice, but on Tire Rack it's showing as tight fitment, and may require adjustment -- has anyone tried this yet? I was looking at 17in in Blizzak DM-V2 or LT most likely.

Thanks
Sponsored

Pjlightning

First Name
PJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F 150
Has anyone driven the stock tires on snow yet? Looking at them does not seem promising so I was looking at picking upsnows and rims...

Any thoughts on 17 or 18 or 20in? I would think 17in would be the sensible choice, but on Tire Rack it's showing as tight fitment, and may require adjustment -- has anyone tried this yet? I was looking at 17in in Blizzak DM-V2 or LT most likely.

Thanks
I was hoping for nokian, but This is what tire rack is recommending:

Ford F-150 Lightning Winter Tires and Rims D6727276-624D-4818-B880-B9CE725E8AC7
Ford F-150 Lightning Winter Tires and Rims 251EED9D-BADA-41CB-B5F5-B4243D6E6EE0

mr.Magoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER, AMB
Tire Rack doesn't carry Nokian so I doubt they'd recommend it, but Nokian would definitely be my personal choice my

There's a thread on Reddit where a guy have driven in snow and he doesn't seem too impressed with stock tires.

My biggest concern is if regen is super aggressive and would cause issues, makes you wish for a snow-mode with milder torque curves both for acceleration and regen.

Marcoux

First Name
Stéphane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 lightning XLT
I went ahead and bought them anyways...will let you know in a couple of weeks if there are any issues (I doubt it)...

Sponsored

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Tire Rack doesn't carry Nokian so I doubt they'd recommend it, but Nokian would definitely be my personal choice my

There's a thread on Reddit where a guy have driven in snow and he doesn't seem too impressed with stock tires.

My biggest concern is if regen is super aggressive and would cause issues, makes you wish for a snow-mode with milder torque curves both for acceleration and regen.
I saw that thread on Reddit and was disappointed to hear that. Our Mach-e was great last winter even in stock tires. The Grabbers on our Lightning have decent snow ratings too.

I am going to wait for some snow to test it out myself before I make any decisions.

96161Lightning

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volkswagen ID.4, 2022 Lighnting Lariat ER
I was hoping for nokian, but This is what tire rack is recommending:

D6727276-624D-4818-B880-B9CE725E8AC7.jpeg
251EED9D-BADA-41CB-B5F5-B4243D6E6EE0.jpeg
I went with the Blizzak LT265/60R20 LTs. I would have preferred 18s and something narrower, but was having trouble finding wheels I liked that didnt get a warning for possible fit issues. I got them put on last week as i am gone for 2 months and wanted them ready for when i return. Here is a photo of the granite wheels on the truck.

Ford F-150 Lightning Winter Tires and Rims 20221019_065011

saturnschildren

First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat XR, 2008 Ridgeline, 1953 Unimog
I bought Nokian R3's (R5's were out of stock and more expensive and I've had great experiences with the R3's on multiple trucks) and am getting them installed onto the stock rims (20") next week. In the spring I'll buy rims (likely takeoffs from Kijiji) and mount my summers on those. I figure that I want to use the most aerodynamic rims for the winter where range is an issue.

chrislittle

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E, F-150 Lightning Pro
I just ordered some nokian hakkapeliitta r5 suv 275/65r18 116r xl for my pro. Seems like they should fit with stock wheels and load rating. Has anyone heard differently?

Sponsored

XLT Jeffy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Lightning XLT SR
Did you get an extra set of stock rims?

Also those tires look awesome
Nope just one set of rims. Definitely looks better than the stock all seasons. 👍

OP
OP

merek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat ER [6/20]
Has anyone tried 17 in yet?

Does anyone know anything about the TPMS? If we order wheels with TPMS from TireRack, does it need to be paired?

We are supposed to get a foot of snow this weekend, I will quickly find out how good or bad the stock tires are. I am not expecting much.

Tony Burgh

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
The TPM sensors recommended by Tire Rack work fine. They take a couple miles of driving over 20 mph to register with the truck system.

fubar79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning XLT ER
Has anyone tried 17 in yet?

Does anyone know anything about the TPMS? If we order wheels with TPMS from TireRack, does it need to be paired?

We are supposed to get a foot of snow this weekend, I will quickly find out how good or bad the stock tires are. I am not expecting much.
I don't know enough to say 17" won't fit, but I bought of used set of 18" OEM Ford rims ( apparently older), and they had less then 1/4" clearance from the inside of the rim to the brake caliper.
Others have stated 3/8" clearance on some 18" rims.

Curious how much space the 18" Pro rims have from the inside to brake caliper?
Sponsored