• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Adjusting charge stops in FordPass app/in-car Nav

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
So, I used the in-car Nav on my trip from Boston to DC Saturday. I just went with what it told me to see what it was like. Generally, it was OK. The second charge stop it gave me was quite far from the highway (6.8 miles) when there were many other potential stations right off the highway in relatively close proximity (easily achievable with the SOC available). In any case, I ended up getting up a few hours before everyone else yesterday and plotting out the DCFC between DC and NH so I could try to figure out what might be an optimized route.

Once I got the chargers that I planned to stop at I went to the app and put in the trip. Ford chose their own chargers (different than mine). I was able to dig into the screen for each charger and swap it to the one I wanted but then it added an extra charge stop that I won't need if I charge to 80% at the first stop. The app was telling me to charge to like 45% at the first stop then stop again in about 80 miles and charge to 92% (!). I had added another charge stop about another 80miles north but the app just puts it on the trip but says not to charge at all then adds another one 70 miles past that one.

Anywho, just wondering if anyone has fooled with this? It definitely needs some more customizability in terms of how it plots the route. Manually setting charge stops and planned SOC% are kind of necessary to make it a legit EV trip planner. Ford put all this effort into making stuff idiot proof but left all of us detail-oriented people out in the cold.
Sponsored

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
I ran into some similar 'route planning' issues with the Tesla Long-range model 3 back in May while going to San Antonio for the Ford Lightning Drive event - it tends to want to only provide you THEIR charging route, and makes it VERY DIFFICULT, while driving, to change/correct/amend that to another charger you'd RATHER stop at.
Sometimes even though it is telling you that you have ENOUGH range to get to another 'farther' supercharger, it would constantly and continually aggravate me by RE-ROUTING me, off the interstate, to a city far way, to what it deemed as a 'better' alternative to me just continuing along my same straight path to a charger it already tells me I have enough range to make it to. Crazy.

I think I'll just stick with my own google maps and plugshare... just like I don't use onboard GPS mapping, either - it just is NOT easy to change/correct anything while you are driving as your situation or needs change.

OP
OP
LightningShow

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
Right, it's very frustrating how difficult they make it to override their proposed stops (impossible, essentially). I really want to be able to use the on-board nav system for roadtrips, if possible. They wouldn't have to do a whole heck of a lot to make it way more usable. A function that showed DCFC near the route that would simply allow you to 'tap and swap' to a different charger would be a godsend. This can't be that difficult from a development perspective.
Sponsored