• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

California car dealers - report to state AG for ADM price gouging during pandemic?

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
Has anyone thought about reporting CA car dealers to the state of California for price gouging?

My interest was piqued when I saw the big grocery chain: Smart & Final was fined $175 million for increasing prices during the pandemic.

Now there is talk about the CA fuel prices being manipulated, rental homes/apartments increased above normal allowed amounts, and other businesses who practiced predatory lending during the pandemic.

Cars are a necessity for many people and we might be able to get complaints to be investigated by the state AG: Rob Bonta

Since car prices were jacked up during the pandemic with ADM above MSRP by car dealers - what's your thoughts ??

https://www.10news.com/traffic/gas-...s-attorney-general-to-look-into-price-gouging

https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/cal...5k-for-egg-price-gouging-in-pandemic/2855759/

https://www.independent.com/2022/03/18/landlords-beware/
Sponsored

Graygoose2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Occupation
Sales
Its always a money grab.........

Tomatoboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Ford Explorer XLT, 2017 Ford Escape SE, F-150
I’m not in California nor am I a California attorney (nor is this legal advice, merely my personal thoughts), but just based in a quick look, I doubt it would work. What is California’s threshold for price gouging? I think it’s like 10% when there’s a declared emergency. But not all consumer goods are included, and I don’t see vehicles listed anywhere. I also think the declared emergency ended 3/2021 for purposes of price gouging, so even if vehicles were somehow included and the ADM was over 10%, it would presumably have to have been before that. You could talk to somebody, but I wouldn’t go into it expecting a high chance of success, if it were me.

https://www.natlawreview.com/article/end-price-restrictions-california-or-merely-step-towards-normal

https://oag.ca.gov/consumers/pricegougingduringdisasters

(Plus, side note, you’d be opening a whole can of worms with private sellers and the user car market, which has experienced similarly massive price jacks…at what point is it a markup vs an increase in Blue Book value, for example, are you only allowed to use Blue Book value and have to wait for the prices to update?)

Last edited:

Graygoose2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Occupation
Sales
The irony, is the state alleging others price gouge, why they add more to the residents taxes. LOL

OP
OP
metroshot

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Networking Tech
I’m not in California nor am I a California attorney (nor is this legal advice, merely my personal thoughts), but just based in a quick look, I doubt it would work. What is California’s threshold for price gouging? I think it’s like 10% when there’s a declared emergency. But not all consumer goods are included, and I don’t see vehicles listed anywhere. I also think the declared emergency ended 3/2021 for purposes of price gouging, so even if vehicles were somehow included and the ADM was over 10%, it would presumably have to have been before that. You could talk to somebody, but I wouldn’t go into it expecting a high chance of success, if it were me.

https://www.natlawreview.com/article/end-price-restrictions-california-or-merely-step-towards-normal

https://oag.ca.gov/consumers/pricegougingduringdisasters

(Plus, side note, you’d be opening a whole can of worms with private sellers and the user car market, which has experienced similarly massive price jacks…at what point is it a markup vs an increase in Blue Book value, for example, are you only allowed to use Blue Book value and have to wait for the prices to update?)
I think CA ended the emergency orders in January 2022 after the Omicron wave.
https://www.usnews.com/news/health-...overnor-ends-12-emergencies-but-not-for-covid

My issue is that I have been trying to purchase a Ford from last year till now and the dealers in So Cal are all charging anything from $5K to $20K over MSRP.

Most recently, I have received price quotes on a Mustang Mach E from my local dealer for $20K over sticker - they said it's supply and demand and said it's non negotiable via text.

For a $50K car, charging $20K ADM is a 40% up charge.

Sponsored

Tomatoboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I think CA ended the emergency orders in January 2022 after the Omicron wave.
https://www.usnews.com/news/health-...overnor-ends-12-emergencies-but-not-for-covid

My issue is that I have been trying to purchase a Ford from last year till now and the dealers in So Cal are all charging anything from $5K to $20K over MSRP.

Most recently, I have received price quotes on a Mustang Mach E from my local dealer for $20K over sticker - they said it's supply and demand and said it's non negotiable via text.

For a $50K car, charging $20K ADM is a 40% up charge.
Oh, I totally get *why* you are thinking about it, I just don’t think it’ll work.

But anyway… Are those the off-the-lot prices, or are they talking ADM on orders as well? By me dealers want MSRP for vehicles on the lot, sometimes a tad more, but are giving their usual deals for orders, so if you’ve already waited a year, you might consider ordering in lieu of trying to find one on the lot, if they aren’t applying the ADM to orders. Any chance of buying out of state?

Tomatoboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Oh, wait…what vehicles are you trying to buy? The Mach-E isn’t just due to COVID parts shortages, it’s a new vehicle in *extremely* high demand. If you’re trying to buy something that high demand, yeah, there’s gonna be an ADM at a lot of dealers. That’s actually not uncommon in a normal time, there were dealers charging ADMs on Thunderbirds back during the 2002-2005 run, too, since demand so far exceeded supply. (I know dealers are putting ADM on regular vehicles in CA too, I’m just trying to gauge how uphill of a purchasing battle you’re fighting). Did you ask what they’d take a Mach-E *order* for, or was that a vehicle on their lot?

OP
OP
metroshot

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Networking Tech
Oh, wait…what vehicles are you trying to buy? The Mach-E isn’t just due to COVID parts shortages, it’s a new vehicle in *extremely* high demand. If you’re trying to buy something that high demand, yeah, there’s gonna be an ADM at a lot of dealers. That’s actually not uncommon in a normal time, there were dealers charging ADMs on Thunderbirds back during the 2002-2005 run, too, since demand so far exceeded supply. (I know dealers are putting ADM on regular vehicles in CA too, I’m just trying to gauge how uphill of a purchasing battle you’re fighting). Did you ask what they’d take a Mach-E *order* for, or was that a vehicle on their lot?
I was looking at buying a business owned vehicle for my small business and looked at ICE vehicles that are very common and not in high demand.

Yes, I could have used my business line of credit to buy the vehicle above MSRP, but coupled with the higher interest rates from either my SBLOC or business credit card - the added price above MSRP negates any reason to buy it (according to my accountant).

For my personal purchase (actually the wife) wanted the Mach E and we were shocked at how high prices are for incoming stock as well as cancelled Mach E orders.
For her, I'd order and find a non ADM dealer.

In both cases I would have been fine with MSRP but that's not been the case since the pandemic started.

notabot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
These high $ settlements go right to the government and lawyers running the circus. The end result is higher cost to the consumer.

For essentials, sure ding the gouger. For a shiny, brand new car that is in short supply when there are other options? No way.
Sponsored