• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Fitting Wheel Spacers

RickSanchez

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 FX4 RCSB
Occupation
Shepherd
I have 17" stock steel wheels and put 33x12.5 MTs on an RCSB. The tires fit but the clearance between the sidewall and upper ball joint was less than .5 inch. I put 1.5 inch spacers on(yes, I'm aware of the concerns) and everything was great for the first 800 miles. Then, I heard an odd noise from the left rear but only when making right turns. The noise is tough to describe but it sounded like a cross between a playing card in a bicycle spoke and a warped brake rotor. So, I pulled that wheel and didn't see anything odd. There is no play in the hub. When I was putting the wheel back on I noticed small marks where it was rubbing ever so slightly against the hub studs. Not the spacer studs but the hub studs. The hub studs are just a hair over 1.5 inches. I removed that spacer and took her for a quick drive. No noise now. Nothing was loose before. All 12 lugs were put on with an impact wrench and I had a tough time loosening them with a proper four star.

I'm not sure what my plan is. I'm certainly not taking an angle grinder to wheel studs. The other three wheels are fine but of course I find the entire setup suspect now. She looks great with the wider stance. I live in an area where a 1/2 ton with MTs is preferred. Our roads are "questionable" and many driveways in these parts are what most would consider trail running. We're also frequently in soft sand so the 12.5 inch tires are staying.

So, my questions are how do people fit .5 or 1 inch wheel spacers? Am I missing something incredibly simple here?
Sponsored

Last edited:

Geo

First Name
Geo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150, 4x4, Lariat 501A pk. 5.0 V-8, Max Tow.
It’s possible you may have one spacer out of spec. It’s a lot of work, but try swapping front to rear. When doing so if you have some sort of measuring device like calipers or a mic. Check one against the other. Also did your oem 17” wheels come with this truck ? If so try swapping wheel positions.

OP
OP

RickSanchez

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 FX4 RCSB
Occupation
Shepherd
It’s possible you may have one spacer out of spec. It’s a lot of work, but try swapping front to rear. When doing so if you have some sort of measuring device like calipers or a mic. Check one against the other. Also did your oem 17” wheels come with this truck ? If so try swapping wheel positions.
Thanks, Geo. I'm heading over to a friend's house who has an impact wrench. Four starring 24 lugs is beyond my level of fitness. :) Will report back.

OP
OP

RickSanchez

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 FX4 RCSB
Occupation
Shepherd
Pulled all the wheels. Spacers are all the same size at exactly 1.5 inches. What we found is that my noisy left rear was probably just a little loose. Tight lugs don't always mean tight to the wheel. I've basically been driving around with my wheel's only contact point being the hub studs pulled into the wheel by the spacer lugs. Yikes!

I guess it's either move up to 2 inch spacers, replace the hub studs with a slightly shorter model, or consider aftermarket wheels.

If you're running spacers I highly encourage you to inspect your wheels for contact area. I had rather large wear marks I assumed were where contact was happening. Upon further inspection it was from the stock tires with no spacers being on it for just 12 miles.

Geo

First Name
Geo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150, 4x4, Lariat 501A pk. 5.0 V-8, Max Tow.
Glad too hear you figured it out. I have never been a fan of wheel spacers, I guess there ok if they sit on the center hub and not the lug bolts.

Sponsored

Kanuck

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Super Cab Carbonized Grey 3.5 EC 302A 6.5 Box
Occupation
Electrician, Retired
My son has a 2015 F 150 that he replace the lug nuts on with a set on non OEM's and had a vibration around 50 MPH. Found that the lug nuts were not deep enough inside to tighten down on the rim at 150 ft/lbs as spec'ed. They would torque to 150 but was hitting the top inside of the lug nut and the rim. Installed to old lug nuts and vibration was gone.

OP
OP

RickSanchez

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 FX4 RCSB
Occupation
Shepherd
3600 mile update:

The 33x12.5s are working great with no lift or spacers. I probably see full suspension articulation at least once per week and have not experienced a single rub. She has the FX4 package if that makes a difference but I don't believe that provides additional clearance.

When it's time for replacement I'll be going to 35x12.5.

Last edited:
Reactions: Geo

sempifi99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XL Powerboost FX4
Occupation
IT
I'm surprised 12.5 fits with stock wheels. Can you share a picture of the upper A arm clearances?