• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

NYS and Commercial Registration

FordLightningMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
I would..just on the off chance you visit NYC you want to have the option of using the parkways. I don't know if the cops would actually stop you for driving a "commercial" plated Lightning on the parkway if it was obviously a personal vehicle(no tools, no lettering, etc).

However, always better to be cautious with NYS LEOs.
I called the DMV and was on hold for 20 minutes, to ask if this guidance is in writing. The woman said "it's on the website, easy to find!" then proceeded to determine all links to the updated guidance are broken. 5/25/22 is the official date the commercial weight limit of 6,000lbs was removed and the website should reflect this change whenever NYS gets its act together. You just (a) can't use your vehicle for commercial purposes and (b) can't have commercial advertising on the truck to get passenger plates.

For anyone in the same situation as me, it costs $25 for a registration/plate switch. This is on top of the $20 extra I paid to register the vehicle as commercial. $45 isn't an awful cost, for anyone who's dealer made the same mistake. Honestly I don't blame the dealer either, DMV dropped the ball on this one.
Sponsored