• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Powder coating stock Lariat wheels

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
I've been on the fence about the stock Lariat wheels and I think I'm to the point where I've decided I don't want to keep them as-is. I like the design but the color really clashes with the Smoked Quartz paint, I thought about trying to swap for some Platinum wheels but I' not sure I want to go to the 22s. The Lariat wheel color looks decent with some other paint colors but I just can't get over the hump on liking it with SQM. I know someone that has a business powder coating wheels so I figure I'll see what they can do. I feel like a painted silver will go best with the SQM but black wouldn't be too bad although I'm not a fan of solid black wheels, in general. I would like to see what they look like with a black coating and the flat face as machined aluminum. That might be the best overall look.

What do you guys think?
Sponsored

PV2EV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Chevy Volt, 2006 Kubota L39, 2006 Suzuki Eige
FWIW, from pictures, I think they look best on SQM.

OP
OP
LightningShow

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
Haha, that's funny. Everyone has their own tastes!

CRAIGC540

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lariot F150 Lariat lightning
Occupation
Technician
Why Ford picked carbonized grey for all colors is a head scratcher for me. They look terrible on everything except carbonized grey and white. Im Getting Star White and still thinking about powder coating them black or Star white. I am fine with the style of wheel.

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Ridgeline, Miata, motorcycle(s)
I am not a fan of two-tone wheels. I know they're what every manufacturer is putting on their vehicle nowadays, but they've always looked weird to me - kinda like they are trying to make the spokes seem thinner without actually making the wheel strong enough support such a thin spoke.

Painted silver with a machined face is what I have on my Model S. The machining is more of a polish though. Maybe not the best example since these wheels have so many spokes, but it's one example of the painted/machined finish on a darker vehicle.

Ford F-150 Lightning Powder coating stock Lariat wheels TSW wheels

Since there are so few (zero?) shiny parts on the truck, a bright wheel might look out of place on the truck. As @CRAIGC540 said, the dark wheels really only look good on monochrome colors. I say the same thing about dark trim, but I'm getting a little off track here.

Sponsored
OP
OP
LightningShow

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
I am not a fan of two-tone wheels. I know they're what every manufacturer is putting on their vehicle nowadays, but they've always looked weird to me - kinda like they are trying to make the spokes seem thinner without actually making the wheel strong enough support such a thin spoke.

Painted silver with a machined face is what I have on my Model S. The machining is more of a polish though. Maybe not the best example since these wheels have so many spokes, but it's one example of the painted/machined finish on a darker vehicle.

TSW wheels.jpg

Since there are so few (zero?) shiny parts on the truck, a bright wheel might look out of place on the truck. As @CRAIGC540 said, the dark wheels really only look good on monochrome colors. I say the same thing about dark trim, but I'm getting a little off track here.
Those look really sharp. It's funny you mention the lack of shiny parts on the truck, that also jumped out at me. I feel like the F-150 logo on the charge door should be chromed. That would set off against a brighter wheel nicely. Similar to that little silver wedge on your MS...and of course the silver door handles.

I have a painted silver wheels on my 911, which is a medium metallic gray, and I really like the look. I think I'd probably be happy with that. I was wondering if they could do something silver with a touch of blue, almost an iced blue metallic but with a deeper blue as the secondary color. That might look cool.

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Ridgeline, Miata, motorcycle(s)
Thanks. We might be the only people left that still like shiny parts. All trim has moved to matte black. :( It looks okay in a monochrome color scheme, but otherwise it looks like the "DX" base trim level. Should be shiny or body colored IMO.

What about a metallic gunmetal powdercoat with hints of blue found in the SQM paint? It's not dramatically different from stock, but it might be the difference you're looking for. I think it'd look sharp.

F150LER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Im with this group, don’t love it. Anyone know if ICE models will fit? I like keeping things “stock” when possible.

CRAIGC540

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Technician
Why Ford picked carbonized grey for all colors is a head scratcher for me. They look terrible on everything except carbonized grey and white. Im Getting Star White and still thinking about powder coating them black or Star white. I am fine with the style of wheel.
Now that i have my Lightning i love the color of the wheels they match the grill. I would have to paint both wheels and grill if I went with black so I'm good for now.

CRAIGC540

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Technician
You can try this to see if you like it permanently. This dip you can peel it off.

Plasti Dip Rim Kit: 4 Aerosol Cans Luxury Black Sapphire, 2 Aerosol Cans Glossifier, 1 Cangun https://a.co/d/fyNWpcQ
Sponsored