• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Regenerative Braking at 100% Charge

vvgogh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 F-150 Lightning ER
I was driving downhill at 100% charge displayed. Regenerative braking was still in effect with 1 pedal drive and displaying as 100% energy recovered on the brake coach. I think there's only 5% hidden capacity on the top-end. I have managed to get 3% back on one moderate downhill drive so far (not at a full charge). The 3% came back in maybe 10-20 minutes of that downhill. That would be 10-27 kW average charge rate from regenerative braking. I imagine there are some corner cases where that could exceed > 5% regenerative recovery already on a full charge (mountain houses, campgrounds, etc.). And, it's potentially a lot of power to handle with an already full battery. Certainly above what the car would choose to draw when topping off the battery off the charging port.

Is the vehicle using some of the hidden battery capacity to handle this case? Has anyone had regenerative braking disable itself if you manage to use too much of the hidden top-end capacity?
Sponsored

chl

First Name
CHRIS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 FORD RANGER, 2023 F-150 LIGHTNING
I was driving downhill at 100% charge displayed. Regenerative braking was still in effect with 1 pedal drive and displaying as 100% energy recovered on the brake coach. I think there's only 5% hidden capacity on the top-end. I have managed to get 3% back on one moderate downhill drive so far (not at a full charge). The 3% came back in maybe 10-20 minutes of that downhill. That would be 10-27 kW average charge rate from regenerative braking. I imagine there are some corner cases where that could exceed > 5% regenerative recovery already on a full charge (mountain houses, campgrounds, etc.). And, it's potentially a lot of power to handle with an already full battery. Certainly above what the car would choose to draw when topping off the battery off the charging port.

Is the vehicle using some of the hidden battery capacity to handle this case? Has anyone had regenerative braking disable itself if you manage to use too much of the hidden top-end capacity?
I've read that with a Tesla, if you are charged to "100%," regenerative breaking doesn't work and a message like "regenerative braking unavailable" appears. Some say regenerative braking is disabled when the state of charge (SOC) is over 90%.

Also, there is a battery buffer so to speak, that is, when you charge to 100% according to the indicator, you are really only at 90-95%.

These measure are there to prevent overcharging the battery.

Now, I assume Ford does the same/similar thing.

Effonefiddy Lightning

First Name
Alfred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Antimatter Blue /2023 Model Y
Occupation
Retired
I've read that with a Tesla, if you are charged to "100%," regenerative breaking doesn't work and a message like "regenerative braking unavailable" appears. Some say regenerative braking is disabled when the state of charge (SOC) is over 90%.

Also, there is a battery buffer so to speak, that is, when you charge to 100% according to the indicator, you are really only at 90-95%.

These measure are there to prevent overcharging the battery.

Now, I assume Ford does the same/similar thing.
True, the Model 3 can apply braking to make up for the loss of regen feel at higher charge limits.
Sponsored