• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Supplies for charger install

theblunden

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning XLT
Started looking into what supplies I need for my install on my home charger only to find that 60 amp GFI breakers and 6 gauge 3 wire Romex are about impossible to find. All of my local Lowe's and Home Depot are sold out within 100 miles. Found a breaker and 6/3 wire on Amazon about a week out from being delivered. Times are different right now for sure.....
Sponsored

Last edited:

merek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat ER [6/20]
You might have better luck looking at a local electrical supply house, some of the bigger gauges, etc, are just not common enough for Home Depot.

PA Lightning

First Name
Tbone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Pro
Started looking into what supplies I need for my install on my home charger only to find that 60 amp GFI breakers and 6 gauge 3 wire Romex are about impossible to find. All of my local Lowe's and Home Depot are sold out within 100 miles. Found a breaker and 6/3 wire on Amazon about a week out from being delivered. Times are different right now for sure.....
What charger are you installing?
It seems like the Ford Mobil Charger would take a 50A GFCI breaker (recommended), and the Ford Connected Charger would take a 60A non GFCI

Dirtyrider89

First Name
Korey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Technician for cranes
I bought 6 awg wire from menards

Sponsored
OP
OP
theblunden

theblunden

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning XLT
I bought 6 awg wire from menards
Apparently the Charlotte area is EV crazy I guess. I'm wiring up a 60 amp breaker to future proof any charging setup in my garage I'll run the provided charger from the Lightning before I upgrade to see if it works for my needs

FlasherZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning, Tesla Model X, F250 SD diesel 6.0
6/3 NM cable (Romex) cannot be used with a 60A breaker for a 48A EV charging load. 6/3 NM cable is only good to 55A (60A required for 48A EV charging) and so it can only be used with 44A charging load or less. You must use wire-in-conduit for #6 to feed 48A charging current or turn the charging station down to 40A charging current.

OP
OP
theblunden

theblunden

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning XLT
6/3 NM cable (Romex) cannot be used with a 60A breaker for a 48A EV charging load. 6/3 NM cable is only good to 55A (60A required for 48A EV charging) and so it can only be used with 44A charging load or less. You must use wire-in-conduit for #6 to feed 48A charging current or turn the charging station down to 40A charging current.
Thanks for the heads up works out they were sold out lol

jefro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Corvette, Bolt EV,
How much do you expect to consume in energy now and in the future?

I bought my evse because it had adjustable power output. I installed my evse and set it to lower power because I knew I'd never need to run it at full power. Unless someone is a contractor or drives a heck of a lot I don't see the need to over provision. The future ought to be more efficient rather than less I'd think.
Sponsored