• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

TCU update taking many many hours

wingfiry

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
So...

I got a Mongoose cable and got a 2 day license for FDRS and decided to do some updates. I did the BCM and APIM updates no issues. Then I started the TCU (Telematics Control Unit) update. formatted a 32G USB drive to exfat, FDRS loaded the files, plugged it in and got the expected "Software Updating... Update is in progress. Do not remove the USB drive."

It's now been just over 40 hrs.. Is this normal to update the TCU? Ideas/Suggestions? I'm a bit stressed at this point.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum FX4 EcoBoost
Occupation
Auto Sales
So...

I got a Mongoose cable and got a 2 day license for FDRS and decided to do some updates. I did the BCM and APIM updates no issues. Then I started the TCU (Telematics Control Unit) update. formatted a 32G USB drive to exfat, FDRS loaded the files, plugged it in and got the expected "Software Updating... Update is in progress. Do not remove the USB drive."

It's now been just over 40 hrs.. Is this normal to update the TCU? Ideas/Suggestions? I'm a bit stressed at this point.

Thanks in advance.
It is not normal. I this point, I would pull out the USB and do a network scan with FDRS to see if the update is still showing there or not. In FDRS, when it shows you the message below, click yes. Then perform another network scan.

USB Software Update Process: 1 - Remove the USB memory device and insert into the vehicle USB slot. 2 - A SYNC touchscreen pop-up should appear within a few minutes that displays "Do not remove USB" (Do NOT remove the USB device until instructed to do so). 3 - To complete software installation, when the SYNC touchscreen displays “Restart Required" turn the ignition OFF and wait 10 minutes. 4 - After waiting 10 minutes in Step 3, turn the ignition to Key On Engine Running (KOER) and wait until the SYNC touchscreen displays "Update Successful". This may take an additional 5 minutes. 5 - Answer the question below to complete the process. Note: Unless there was an explicit Error message displayed select Yes even if nothing was displayed or you are not sure. Did the update install successfully?

OP
OP

wingfiry

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
It is not normal. I this point, I would pull out the USB and do a network scan with FDRS to see if the update is still showing there or not. In FDRS, when it shows you the message below, click yes. Then perform another network scan.

USB Software Update Process: 1 - Remove the USB memory device and insert into the vehicle USB slot. 2 - A SYNC touchscreen pop-up should appear within a few minutes that displays "Do not remove USB" (Do NOT remove the USB device until instructed to do so). 3 - To complete software installation, when the SYNC touchscreen displays “Restart Required" turn the ignition OFF and wait 10 minutes. 4 - After waiting 10 minutes in Step 3, turn the ignition to Key On Engine Running (KOER) and wait until the SYNC touchscreen displays "Update Successful". This may take an additional 5 minutes. 5 - Answer the question below to complete the process. Note: Unless there was an explicit Error message displayed select Yes even if nothing was displayed or you are not sure. Did the update install successfully?
unfortunately, my FDRS license expired and they (FDRS) are apparently having an outage and I cannot get a new license currently. :rolleyes:

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Auto Sales
unfortunately, my FDRS license expired and they (FDRS) are apparently having an outage and I cannot get a new license currently. :rolleyes:
Oh. Yea, tough spot. Thing is, there have been so many GWM released, that even if that one you did went through, there could be another that pops up right after it in FDRS. I would wait a day or however long it takes for Ford to get their FDRS back up and get another license to finish what you started and hopefully you don't get any errors if the GWM is still there when you try it.

OP
OP

wingfiry

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Oh. Yea, tough spot. Thing is, there have been so many GWM released, that even if that one you did went through, there could be another that pops up right after it in FDRS. I would wait a day or however long it takes for Ford to get their FDRS back up and get another license to finish what you started and hopefully you don't get any errors if the GWM is still there when you try it.
I removed the USB, shut down the truck and started it back up and everything seems normal. I'll wait a few days and try again later. Thanks!!

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Auto Sales
In that case, the update most likely went through.
Sponsored