• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Who's an Electric F-150 shopper?

Vulnox

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat 502A, 3.5L PowerBoost
Yep, as with most everything, the truth lies somewhere in the middle.
Yep, and everyone should look at their individual needs. While EVs are likely the drive system of the future and many countries and states have started to designate phase out dates for gas vehicles, they are still far enough out that EVs will evolve significantly over that time. I mean just ten years of looking at Tesla and their range and charging speed improvements is pretty incredible, definitely a faster pace of improvement than the first ten years of ICE engines. And that is with just one company really leading the charge. The more Ford/GM/others plus their suppliers start putting money into R&D, the faster it will evolve.

Even when we hit those dates, let's say 2035, that doesn't mean your existing vehicle is tossed on the fire, gas engine vehicles will be around for decades, and as those regulations evolve there will likely be phases introduced. If EVs and the infrastructure isn't there yet for ICE equivalent F-150 towing range, then they will make exceptions and push light duty trucks out to 2040 or whatever. But it's useful to have states/countries have these conversations now so manufacturers know what to expect, and so other lawmakers can start making plans for infrastructure and regulation changes.

But for now, if you are that worried about a hurricane knocking out power and desperately need to go on a road trip and use your cans of gas, then keep buying an ICE vehicle. Just because Ford offers the Lightning doesn't mean it's for everyone. They didn't say the ICE F-150 is going away when the Lightning launches. Everyone coming up with disaster scenarios should just keep buying ICE until they are comfortable. Or if you tow your TT 200-500 miles for big family trips, I agree, I wouldn't get a Lightning yet. Even if you were good with the charging stations and charge times or whatever else, most of them aren't set up as pull-through, which they REALLY need to get on top of, soon. And nobody is going to unhook their TT to go charge their truck every 150 miles.
Sponsored

shikataganai

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
100 series Land Cruiser, Pacifica Hybrid
You're also not going to be going to work unless you're in the police, fire, or hospital businesses either.
Truth. On that topic, my hospital has a few level 2 EVSE in one of the garages. It also clearly has generator capability for the hospital itself. I wonder if the EVSE would remain powered up in a true crisis (or even just 120V outlets in the other garages). Hmm. Not that this particular corner case will ever appear, but fun to think about.
Totally agree. I'm in NJ and was without power for a week after Sandy. No one was going anywhere, EV or gas. No gas, no electric, nothing.
I was on Long Island for Sandy. Prius had some gas in it but we saved it and didn't drive. I just bicycled to work instead. Thankfully we only lost power for a few hours by virtue of being by a neighborhood transformer box. Some others were without power for literally weeks iirc.

https://www.utilitydive.com/news/th...and the Nor,Authority customers for two weeks.

jeffcrum

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT 302A Powerboost 7.2kw Inverter
Occupation
Computer programmer
I am not looking to go anywhere in that instance. I am looking to power the survival parts of my house. I certainly have enough gas for my Powerboost to do that for a week.

And, we have enough food and water for that week too.

I am good.

drcarric2650

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150
Occupation
retired
No way. The distance per charge is a huge issue for me.

And, if the cold spell in Texas is any indication of the electric grid issues, just wait for a bunch of electric vehicles also being plugged in.

The hybrid is attractive to me because it isn't about the fake 'saving the earth with electric' thinking. It is about the cool stuff we can do with gas AND electric!
Yeah, lets not blame Texas creating their own grid so they could ignore regulations, on the power outages.

MickeyAO

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red Lightning Lariat ER, Kia EV6 GT-Line AWD
Occupation
Lab Manager of the Energy Storage Technology Center
I think I might actually have the worst use case for ICE. I live 2 miles from where I work. It takes me less than 10 minutes to get home. Going into work, I stop by the company cafeteria to pick up breakfast and then continue the 3/4 mile to my lab. At lunch, I drive to and from the cafeteria. I only drive during the day if there is some type of battery emergency somewhere on campus (typically once every three months) or if we are doing 'safety' testing on full packs at the facility that can handle the emissions (1/2 mile from my lab). After I get home, I typically don't drive (I watch a lot of sports while I bet games).

To raise the temperature in my engine, I will jackrabbit start, rev the engine, idle at the lab, drive as fast as I think I can get away with (the average speed limit on my route is 30 mph), etc. I work in the powertrain division, so a lot of engineers tell me how bad I am on the engine.

I only drive luxury trucks (which I trade in every couple of years before I really damage the engine...current Danila is two years old and I just crossed 9000 miles.

I can't wait for this truck to arrive!
Sponsored