• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored
OP
OP
Knickell

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda Protege, Ford F-150
I get what you mean. At least having more EQ adjustments would be nice, however too much intricacy can confuse the masses. Being an audio nerd I would love to fiddle around with that sh*t for hours, others may not. :ROFLMAO:

Definitely the best deal considering the basic B&O system definitely leaves a bit to be desired. It's clean but doesn't take a beating anywhere near as well as Unleashed does. They definitely dumbed down the base B&O to sway people to go Unleashed.
I believe that’s why that made it so simplistic too. Most people probably don’t care about adjusting their stereo to that degree.
Sponsored

Wilsons66605

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Power Boost Platinum, 2019 Raptor
Occupation
Retired
Sorry, HCFX. Somehow your post slipped by me. Great analysis as well!

The simplicity of the audio equalizer makes it very user friendly. However, I wished there was a little more configurability in there. About the only thing different from a normal car was the ability to choose “Stereo” or “Surround” mode. To be fair, not sure exactly what else I’d want Ford to add, but I was expecting more customization

EF0EAD4F-13D6-4387-8E58-FC9631A5EED4.jpeg

You’re also right about the price. Much like the Max Tow Package (until December 23rd, anyway), this is by far the best hidden deal of any of the interior options!
Nothing new about the surround sound option. I’ve got it on my 19 Raptor

SonnyDigs

First Name
Sonny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch
I believe that’s why that made it so simplistic too. Most people probably don’t care about adjusting their stereo to that degree.
Thanks for the post..
I bought a 2021 King Ranch
On Friday, it has the
B&O Unleashed..(Which was a must have on my list)
When I went into audio settings I never saw the the settings for treble, base and so on.. I only found the
fade & balance.. I'll have to look into it again..
Have to say it's the finest car audio system I've ever had..
It is awedome..
Great forum, and is going to be a great asset..
Thanks,
Sonny

Ford F-150 Lightning (VIDEO DEMO UPDATE) Bang & Olufsen (B&O) Unleashed Sound System Review (2021 F-150) ???? e27e17ef-3fb0-4364-8c52-879e83089052

SonnyDigs

First Name
Sonny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch
Thanks for the post..
On Friday, it has the
When I went into audio settings I never saw the the settings for treble, base and so on.. I only found the
It is awedome..
Thanks,
Sonny

e27e17ef-3fb0-4364-8c52-879e83089052.jpg
My bad, now I see it stated that isn't available in the
Unleashed..
Really can't imagine why they would leave that off..

OP
OP
Knickell

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Thanks for the post..
On Friday, it has the
It is awedome..
Thanks,
Sonny

e27e17ef-3fb0-4364-8c52-879e83089052.jpg
Happy to help! Enjoy that new truck, Looks great!

Sponsored

SonnyDigs

First Name
Sonny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch
Happy to help! Enjoy that new truck, Looks great!
Thanks,
I love it..
It exceeds anything I was thinking it would be..
I keep finding more buttons and features..

This forum is a wealth of info..
I have not figured out how to start a new thread, about custom exhaust systems..
That's my next endeavor..
Merry Christmas to all.

Jim Bandy

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited 4x4 Powerboost (Hybrid)
Occupation
Retired
From what I can tell, the 2018 F-150s had a ten speaker B&O Play system with 675 total watts. This included a thin style subwoofer mounted behind the rear seat on the bed wall of the truck.

Keep in mind “B&O Play” was designed and marketed as an entry level premium sound system for Ford for the 2018/2019 model years. All the press releases and other info I’ve seen so far for Bang & Olufsen for no longer label themselves as “B&O Play” for 2021 Ford models. This could be Ford’s attempt to keep moving the F-150 up market.

The Bang & Olufsen sound system in the 2021 F-150 is listed as having eight speakers rated at 640 watts with an “Externally Coupled Subwoofer (ECS)”. This is supposed to be a slim, space saving subwoofer.

I wouldn’t get too caught up in the fact that the base 2021 B&O system makes less overall power than the earlier B&O Play systems. I have seen review videos where Ford representatives have said they allowed the staff at B&O to have pretty much free reign over the 2021 F-150’s interior in an effort to get the best sound possible. Whereas other manufacturers and vehicles give audio companies set spaces/locations and parameters to abide by.

Although I haven’t heard the base B&O system for the 2021 F-150 yet, I think it’s safe to say it will be an adequate improvement from the generation thirteen F-150s.

Also, in my opinion, because B&O Play was marketed as a cheaper and/or entry level Bang & Olufsen sound system, they may have used cheaper and lesser quality speaker cones, drivers, wires, and other components that could be different than the ones used in the generation fourteen F-150.

In reference to the Bang & Olufsen Unleashed system, it comes with eighteen speakers producing 1,080 watts. It’s two main features are headrest and headliner mounted speakers for the front row of the truck. It also uses an “Externally Coupled Subwoofer”, likely the same one that’s used in the base B&O system.

I consider myself a bit of an audiophile. After listening to the Bang & Olufsen Unleashed at one of the test drive events, I was amazed. In other cars, headliner and head rest mounted speakers were gimmicky and, in my opinion, hurt the sound of the system. This was not the case at all in the F-150. The overall sound was very clear and immersive. It’s hard to explain but the combination of the headliner and head rest speakers kind of created a shower of sound, and it was really a cool experience. Overall loudness of a system is only as good as how well the speakers maintain their clarity without getting distorted. I tried several genres of music on the B&O Unleashed system at a pretty high volume (around 20ish out of 30, if I recall), and that was plenty for me. I also didn’t want to deafen the Ford rep. who was also in the truck.

Since being able to hear it at the test drive event, the Bang & Olufsen Unleashed system was a non-negotiable option for me on my order. As the clock ticks the days and weeks away until I take delivery, the thing I’m probably looking forward to most about the truck is hearing that sound system again!

Anyway, ending my tirade. Here is the media release from Harman, the parent company of Bang & Olufsen, for the new sound systems for the 2021 Ford F-150 with additional information:

https://news.harman.com/blog/blog_articles-20200629

????NEW UPDATE FEATURING VIDEOS OF BANG & OLUFSEN UNLEASHED MENUS AND SETTINGS AND AUDIO DEMONSTRATION!????

I recently had the opportunity to attend the Orlando International Auto Show. While I was there, I noticed they had a 2021 Ford F-150 Limited SuperCrew on display. Of course, the truck was equipped with the Band & Olufsen Unleashed stereo system and I couldn't turn down an opportunity to hear it again! I know a lot of you folks on here had questions about the audio equalizer, and sub-menus of the system. The video below shows each of those things and more so you can see how to adjust the Unleashed system to your preference.

And now, what even more of you have been waiting for! An actual sound demonstration of the Bang & Olufsen Unleashed system. To be completely fair, please keep in mind there were a lot of things working against me to record this video including other people getting into and out of the truck, one of the Ford reps telling me I have to keep the window (passenger side) rolled down, combined with the overall loud ambiance of being inside a huge showroom filled with people.

Even with all of that taken into consideration, I think you can still deduce just a little bit of how good this system sounds inside the truck in ideal conditions (doors/windows closed, in the driver's seat, CD quality audio files being played, etc.).

For the demo, I was forced to use FM radio. Unfortunately, my phone would not let me stream music and shoot video no matter how arranged it. Again, though, the higher quality songs and audio files on my phone sounded incredible. I attempted to cover a vast array of music genres to suit most of your all's preferred style of music, and how the audio system presents them, but I could not get all of the music types I wanted. Here is a breakdown of what I was able to record in case you don't have the time to sit through the whole video:

0:00 - Classic Rock, Journey - Don't Stop Believin’
1:33 - Top 40/Pop
1:55 - Christmas music/classical (Tis' the season)
2:23 - New country
3:01 - Talk radio/spoken word
3:18 - Classic Rock, more Journey - Wheel In the Sky
3:44 - Reggae Rock, Bob Marley - Get Up Stand Up
4:15 - Latin/dance

Enjoy this until we can all get the real deal when our trucks finally come in!!

Glad my order has the B&O Unleased - if you drive a alot or always drive with music - it's a must have & well worth the price in any model. Question remains - will I see see the truck I ordered? Funstrated wait.

Coyote

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Lariat 2.7
Occupation
Accountant
From what I can tell, the 2018 F-150s had a ten speaker B&O Play system with 675 total watts. This included a thin style subwoofer mounted behind the rear seat on the bed wall of the truck.

Keep in mind “B&O Play” was designed and marketed as an entry level premium sound system for Ford for the 2018/2019 model years. All the press releases and other info I’ve seen so far for Bang & Olufsen for no longer label themselves as “B&O Play” for 2021 Ford models. This could be Ford’s attempt to keep moving the F-150 up market.

The Bang & Olufsen sound system in the 2021 F-150 is listed as having eight speakers rated at 640 watts with an “Externally Coupled Subwoofer (ECS)”. This is supposed to be a slim, space saving subwoofer.

I wouldn’t get too caught up in the fact that the base 2021 B&O system makes less overall power than the earlier B&O Play systems. I have seen review videos where Ford representatives have said they allowed the staff at B&O to have pretty much free reign over the 2021 F-150’s interior in an effort to get the best sound possible. Whereas other manufacturers and vehicles give audio companies set spaces/locations and parameters to abide by.

Although I haven’t heard the base B&O system for the 2021 F-150 yet, I think it’s safe to say it will be an adequate improvement from the generation thirteen F-150s.

Also, in my opinion, because B&O Play was marketed as a cheaper and/or entry level Bang & Olufsen sound system, they may have used cheaper and lesser quality speaker cones, drivers, wires, and other components that could be different than the ones used in the generation fourteen F-150.

In reference to the Bang & Olufsen Unleashed system, it comes with eighteen speakers producing 1,080 watts. It’s two main features are headrest and headliner mounted speakers for the front row of the truck. It also uses an “Externally Coupled Subwoofer”, likely the same one that’s used in the base B&O system.

I consider myself a bit of an audiophile. After listening to the Bang & Olufsen Unleashed at one of the test drive events, I was amazed. In other cars, headliner and head rest mounted speakers were gimmicky and, in my opinion, hurt the sound of the system. This was not the case at all in the F-150. The overall sound was very clear and immersive. It’s hard to explain but the combination of the headliner and head rest speakers kind of created a shower of sound, and it was really a cool experience. Overall loudness of a system is only as good as how well the speakers maintain their clarity without getting distorted. I tried several genres of music on the B&O Unleashed system at a pretty high volume (around 20ish out of 30, if I recall), and that was plenty for me. I also didn’t want to deafen the Ford rep. who was also in the truck.

Since being able to hear it at the test drive event, the Bang & Olufsen Unleashed system was a non-negotiable option for me on my order. As the clock ticks the days and weeks away until I take delivery, the thing I’m probably looking forward to most about the truck is hearing that sound system again!

Anyway, ending my tirade. Here is the media release from Harman, the parent company of Bang & Olufsen, for the new sound systems for the 2021 Ford F-150 with additional information:

https://news.harman.com/blog/blog_articles-20200629

????NEW UPDATE FEATURING VIDEOS OF BANG & OLUFSEN UNLEASHED MENUS AND SETTINGS AND AUDIO DEMONSTRATION!????

I recently had the opportunity to attend the Orlando International Auto Show. While I was there, I noticed they had a 2021 Ford F-150 Limited SuperCrew on display. Of course, the truck was equipped with the Band & Olufsen Unleashed stereo system and I couldn't turn down an opportunity to hear it again! I know a lot of you folks on here had questions about the audio equalizer, and sub-menus of the system. The video below shows each of those things and more so you can see how to adjust the Unleashed system to your preference.

And now, what even more of you have been waiting for! An actual sound demonstration of the Bang & Olufsen Unleashed system. To be completely fair, please keep in mind there were a lot of things working against me to record this video including other people getting into and out of the truck, one of the Ford reps telling me I have to keep the window (passenger side) rolled down, combined with the overall loud ambiance of being inside a huge showroom filled with people.

Even with all of that taken into consideration, I think you can still deduce just a little bit of how good this system sounds inside the truck in ideal conditions (doors/windows closed, in the driver's seat, CD quality audio files being played, etc.).

For the demo, I was forced to use FM radio. Unfortunately, my phone would not let me stream music and shoot video no matter how arranged it. Again, though, the higher quality songs and audio files on my phone sounded incredible. I attempted to cover a vast array of music genres to suit most of your all's preferred style of music, and how the audio system presents them, but I could not get all of the music types I wanted. Here is a breakdown of what I was able to record in case you don't have the time to sit through the whole video:

0:00 - Classic Rock, Journey - Don't Stop Believin’
1:33 - Top 40/Pop
1:55 - Christmas music/classical (Tis' the season)
2:23 - New country
3:01 - Talk radio/spoken word
3:18 - Classic Rock, more Journey - Wheel In the Sky
3:44 - Reggae Rock, Bob Marley - Get Up Stand Up
4:15 - Latin/dance

Enjoy this until we can all get the real deal when our trucks finally come in!!

Thanks Kyle,

I found this video link
()
basically echos my experience that the 2018/19 B&O sound system that I have is rather unremarkable. I'd be curious to know your opinion on the "base" B&O system in the 2021 if you get a chance. Thats a big expense to add unleashed, but also a big risk if you think you are getting good sound with the base B&O and its as crappy as the 2018/19. I guess I'm paying for the unleashed (really the ONLY reason I am getting 502A) but folks should know there is risk if they are even 50% audiophiles they may not like the base system. I suppose I could get 501A and upgrade the audio but I dont want to mess with a new truck like that and I wouldnty trust anyone around here to do that

OP
OP
Knickell

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I’d be happy to review the base 2021 B&O system, but I haven’t had a chance to put one through its paces yet.

The 2020 F-150 I test drove did have a B&O system in it. I was more focused on the drive and performance than the stereo, but did try it out briefly. In my opinion, it was merely okay. I would not have got that particular system if there was something better.

Storm Trooper

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat Sport
Occupation
Tech
I suppose I could get 501A and upgrade the audio but I dont want to mess with a new truck like that and I wouldnty trust anyone around here to do that
I struggled with the decision of getting the mid-level B&O system or Unleashed for the same reason. If I were planning on doing a custom system, the mid tier system makes more sense because of the number of speakers.

I’d rather not tear it apart for an upgrade, so I’m feeling good about the decision to go with Unleashed.

Sponsored

SonnyDigs

First Name
Sonny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch
I struggled with the decision of getting the mid-level B&O system or Unleashed for the same reason. If I were planning on doing a custom system, the mid tier system makes more sense because of the number of speakers.

I’d rather not tear it apart for an upgrade, so I’m feeling good about the decision to go with Unleashed.
Definitely one of my favorite features.. I'm very happy I got it and I'll never regret it..

Icbmredrat

First Name
Wade
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 XLT 4x4 Supercrew
Okay So I just went to my dealer to try the Lariat with the standard B/O on Sirius XM. Without touching any settings, I think it’s a decent sounding system. I don’t have the base speakers to compare to but I assume the stock base are pretty bad sounding?

SonnyDigs

First Name
Sonny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch
Okay So I just went to my dealer to try the Lariat with the standard B/O on Sirius XM. Without touching any settings, I think it’s a decent sounding system. I don’t have the base speakers to compare to but I assume the stock base are pretty bad sounding?
Absolutely a good step up from a stock radio system..
You want regret it..