• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

PungoteagueDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX, Porsche C4S, Ford F-350 KR, Ford F-150 K
Occupation
retired
Yes it is and as noted in near real time as the EA charger I knocked offline was reported almost instantly via the app.

No reason my Tesla would know status of EA chargers.

At this stage of development, I’d suggest getting the app and fob and a subscription for charger systems one will be using. With Chargepoint, the fob is the key. With EA and EVgo, the app is the key.
Are you DENSE? I never said a Tesla should know EA pylon status. You are intentionally trying to confuse forum members who might not understand the issue. Teslas can see and know the status of ever Tesla Supercharger pylon in the country in real time, and its internal route planner can adjust accordingly. Ford, Porsche, et al are part of the EA system and rely on its reporting of pylon status but CANNOT see the current status on a real time basis. so the car's internal planning systems are therefore impaired - a driver must use the EA app to determine current status separately from what they can see in the car, which is, by definition, not up to date and is UNRELIABLE - which is one of the many problems with the EA system that has gotten so many EA users in trouble - bad information or missing information about pylon status. Yes, you CAN use multiple systems and apps and MAYBE get conflicting information that will tell you that there MIGHT be an issue at a specific EA location, but you never really know until you roll up, or maybe choose to bypass out of excess caution. The whole thing is tenuous at best compared to the fully integrated Supercharging system. And yes, I have used both extensively. EA for less, because there ARE NONE on the Eastern Shore where I need them most - DelMarva, between Baltimore.DC and the Maryland/Delaware beaches, and none planned.
Sponsored

Sklith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Performance, Energica Ego
I've been using the app to access chargepoint for years!!!
Same here, my phone is the key. Works great. I love how ChargePoint lets me know when I'm nearly done charging.

jefro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Corvette, Bolt EV,
I assume when they say fob it is the plastic keyring card??

Or does some non-Tesla car fob actually work on chargers?

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mastang Mach-E Grabber Blue First Edition
I assume when they say fob it is the plastic keyring card??

Or does some non-Tesla car fob actually work on chargers?
For $10 you could get a card from Chargepoint that lets you start charging. In case you have a phone without NFC.

EaglesPDX

First Name
Eagles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
I've been using the app to access chargepoint for years!!!
When first learning to use the home ChargePoint, they said to get the fob as it works locally no matter the chargers or the apps internet connection. They were having some issues connecting to the charger as it was underground.

Last edited:

Sponsored

EaglesPDX

First Name
Eagles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Ford, Porsche, et al are part of the EA system and rely on its reporting of pylon status but CANNOT see the current status on a real time basis.
Ah...well good news is you can check the app though none of those here who use EA have had issues where there was not a charger available. Just not getting crowded...yet. With Tesla I check as they do get crowded and Tesla is not good at reporting down chargers so you'll see 10/12 but it's really 8/12 when you get there with two of the chargers having the cords over the top indicating someone could not get a charge there.

For F150EV owners looking at the EA system, it is as reliable as Tesla's, as fast a charging rate and for interstate travel around the US, almost as prevalent and the current EA system will double in the next two years.

For auto's that are advertising EA as their go to charger source and using it for trip routing, they do need to know location and availability, I'm sure Ford, VW group are working on it.

But users can look at the app to see availability at their next charger, though in trip planning that could be hours away so conditions will change and if you are tripping and that's your charger destination, you will need it even if it is busy and you have to wait.

PungoteagueDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
Ah...well good news is you can check the app though none of those here who use EA have had issues where there was not a charger available. Just not getting crowded...yet. With Tesla I check as they do get crowded and Tesla is not good at reporting down chargers so you'll see 10/12 but it's really 8/12 when you get there with two of the chargers having the cords over the top indicating someone could not get a charge there.

For F150EV owners looking at the EA system, it is as reliable as Tesla's, as fast a charging rate and for interstate travel around the US, almost as prevalent and the current EA system will double in the next two years.

For auto's that are advertising EA as their go to charger source and using it for trip routing, they do need to know location and availability, I'm sure Ford, VW group are working on it.

But users can look at the app to see availability at their next charger, though in trip planning that could be hours away so conditions will change and if you are tripping and that's your charger destination, you will need it even if it is busy and you have to wait.
I use EA in FL, NC, GA and have found it nonworking roughly 50% of the time, so had no on first paragraph except for usage - correct that few are using it yet.

Second paragraph is demonstrably false at this point in time - EA has huge teething problems and Ford & Porsche are on it hard.

Last two paragraphs finally acknowledge what I've been saying - no OEM currently displays EA pylon status in the car's mapping system on a real time basis and they do not use the current availability data in their charge planning systems - so the driver must use a separate app (EA) to separately plan and/or confirm the car's charging plan. This is suboptimal, and all we can do is hope the OEM's catch up with Tesla at some point.

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mastang Mach-E Grabber Blue First Edition
Last two paragraphs finally acknowledge what I've been saying - no OEM currently displays EA pylon status in the car's mapping system on a real time basis and they do not use the current availability data in their charge planning systems - so the driver must use a separate app (EA) to separately plan and/or confirm the car's charging plan. This is suboptimal, and all we can do is hope the OEM's catch up with Tesla at some point.
I think in one video, I heard Darren Palmer say that F150L will have real time communication with EA stations and tell you which are not working. This would be a step up from what MME does.

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'19 Jaguar I-Pace, '22 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Plumber
This is a FUDtastic thread.

The current EA network is sufficient for interstate travel for most of the US population. It is not sufficient in some parts of the country but will improve dramatically in the next few years. I am finally convinced that the Delaware peninsula is one of those places after reading 25,000 words worth of posts in this thread. I'm also convinced that the CHAdeMO/Tesla experience on EA has generally been bad.

I had some issues with my I-Pace and EA chargers in early 2020, but my charging sessions have been flawless over the last 12 months. I have done a several road trips that relied mostly on EA (including a 1500 mile trip this summer) without any of the issues that others have described.

I'd pull up Plugshare and read the comments for the CCS chargers around you. Then compare them to the Tesla comments. You may find that the CCS ecosystem isn't as dire as some are making it out to be.

At the moment Tesla is to Apple as CCS is to Google. If you're OK with being locked in to an ecosystem in order to get a "just works" product, get a Tesla. If you want to be able to choose from a wider selection of vehicles and multiple charging networks at the risk of having more likelihood of reliability issues, go with CCS.

As things stand today I would recommend Tesla to a technologically challenged relative, but that doesn't mean that all Tesla drivers are technologically challenged. I think this is going to be a wash between CCS and Tesla in a year or two.

Sponsored

jefro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Corvette, Bolt EV,
If Tesla opens their network up then it will provide a lot of loose ends.

Under both the VW / EA deal they have to keep installing chargers. Also there are plenty of charge companies that are trying to put in more and more.

The BBB doesn't seem to offer a lot to companies to build. It offers grants so whatever that means.

EaglesPDX

First Name
Eagles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
use EA in FL, NC, GA and have found it nonworking roughly 50% of the time,
Interesting, the other three of us here who use EA regularly have not had any issues getting a charge with Tesla, MachE and iPace. Are you limited to the single Chademo charger at EA sites or did you purchase the Lectron CCS1 Tesla adapter that came out a few months ago so you can use all the faster CCS1 chargers?

EaglesPDX

First Name
Eagles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
no OEM currently displays EA pylon status in
Hard to say, the technology is moving fast. Only have experience with charging the Tesla on the EA Chademo and CCS1 which has been dependable.

PungoteagueDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
This is a FUDtastic thread.

The current EA network is sufficient for interstate travel for most of the US population. It is not sufficient in some parts of the country but will improve dramatically in the next few years. I am finally convinced that the Delaware peninsula is one of those places after reading 25,000 words worth of posts in this thread. I'm also convinced that the CHAdeMO/Tesla experience on EA has generally been bad.

I had some issues with my I-Pace and EA chargers in early 2020, but my charging sessions have been flawless over the last 12 months. I have done a several road trips that relied mostly on EA (including a 1500 mile trip this summer) without any of the issues that others have described.

I'd pull up Plugshare and read the comments for the CCS chargers around you. Then compare them to the Tesla comments. You may find that the CCS ecosystem isn't as dire as some are making it out to be.

At the moment Tesla is to Apple as CCS is to Google. If you're OK with being locked in to an ecosystem in order to get a "just works" product, get a Tesla. If you want to be able to choose from a wider selection of vehicles and multiple charging networks at the risk of having more likelihood of reliability issues, go with CCS.

As things stand today I would recommend Tesla to a technologically challenged relative, but that doesn't mean that all Tesla drivers are technologically challenged. I think this is going to be a wash between CCS and Tesla in a year or two.
I agree except for the Tesla-owner dissing. I was about as early an EV adopter as there is. My charging adapter bin is bigger that you can imagine, and I've actually jump-wired at welding shops and marinas before there were any Superchargers along some routes, so am pretty resourceful. But that was when we were in EV adventure mode in 2012/13. Those days are over, and for many, EV travel has reached parity with ICE driving. I can now drive our Tesla between homes that are 1050 miles apart on Virginia's Eastern Shore and south Florida with roughly equal timing compared to our PowerBoost F-150, even towing a trailer under 5,000 pounds. I could not do that right now in a Lightning. In fact, we could not make it at all. I sincerely expect your conclusions to be correct - eventually - maybe in 2024 or 2025. But at this point, given the EA map's PLANNED disclosed roll-out, that will not happen in 2022 due to gaps in the EA system that have no chargers in place or slated, assuming all of their fast chargers are up and running.

Another consideration is that for many locations, EA has only two DCFC pylons (only one at some Walmart/Sams sites), which will likely be overloaded quickly, as every non-Tesla manufacturer relies on that system, so we can expect to compete with lines of Mach-E, Lightning, Taycan, E-Tron, Hummer, Nio, Rivian, VW, Polestar, Lucid, etc. on road trips - Tesla has a minimum of six DCFC pylons at every Supercharger location, all 100% DCFC. Spot-checking the I-95 corridor, there are predominately 2 or 4 EA chargers rated 150 or above, a few with 6 pylons at true DCFC, and a couple at 8, none showing more. So far this isn't an issue because of limited rolling stock, but that is about to change exponentially, and having a few DCFC chargers at interstate EA locations won't cut it. Concentrating at Walmarts is just sad compared to most Supercharger locales (yes, there are SOME terrible SC locations, but way more are by Starbucks, Panera, etc. - almost NO EA chargers nearby a nice coffee shop - the best you can do is patronize Walmart's Subway franchise). I remain optimistic and have lived through the early years of Tesla's system - bought before Supercharging was even a concept, so have lived through its emergence - believe EA WILL get it together and grow its network to maturity, but there's a long way to go.

Last edited:

PungoteagueDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
Interesting, the other three of us here who use EA regularly have not had any issues getting a charge with Tesla, MachE and iPace. Are you limited to the single Chademo charger at EA sites or did you purchase the Lectron CCS1 Tesla adapter that came out a few months ago so you can use all the faster CCS1 chargers?
I have the Tesla Chademo adapter. Do you suggest buying the Lectron? What are its comparative advantages?
Sponsored