• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Any point in upgrading 12V LVB ?

mr.Magoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER, AMB
I just got a new dashcam and was contemplating powering options and one of them was an external battery pack which seems so conceptually wrong given the fact that we're driving around with a ginormous battery pack, so why the need for another one ?

Then again, there's quite a few reports about issues with the 12V battery faulty ones, loose connections and for whatever the reason they just go dead...

It is my understanding that the LVB is charged by the HVB whenever needed, regardless if the truck is "on" or not - is this correct ?

If so, there wouldn't be much of a point in getting an external pack and the potential upgrade / benefit is reduced.

Is there and point in swapping out the LVB for another one ? Rather than the measly 35Ah that's there now it seems a 55Ah should be easy to fit.
Sponsored

meow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER; 2013 Fiesta
It is my understanding that the LVB is charged by the HVB whenever needed, regardless if the truck is "on" or not - is this correct ?
I’m starting to think so. After 3 days unplugged I hopped in this morning (26º outside) and according to Car Scanner it was at the highest SoC I’ve seen yet.

If so, there wouldn't be much of a point in getting an external pack and the potential upgrade / benefit is reduced.
My experience with my hardwired dashcam: it certainly cuts out when the 12V battery drops to the cutoff point, and often doesn’t come on until about 15-20min after starting/driving the truck. So I’m considering putting an external pack in, much as I don’t want to for the same reasons.

Is there and point in swapping out the LVB for another one ? Rather than the measly 35Ah that's there now it seems a 55Ah should be easy to fit.
Wouldn’t hurt. I’d want something that could maintain 12+v for 36+hrs to keep the camera running… but is it better (aka cheaper) to end up getting a big beefy 12V battery or to get the dashcam-specific pack? 🤔

OP
OP

mr.Magoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER, AMB
is it better (aka cheaper) to end up getting a big beefy 12V battery or to get the dashcam-specific pack? 🤔
That is what got me here too, the dedicated packs are not cheap, $300-400 for anything reasonably sized to give you any runtime and most/all? are LiFePo4 which has its own challenges with cold weather, so maybe it's just better to spend that money (or less) on a really good LVB battery.
Sponsored