• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Blue Cruise EA wave 2 question

JDinNFLA

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum Star White 3.5 EB
Has anyone who got the wave 2 email on the 18th had all the updates come through and BC activated? I got to 2.4.5 last Wednesday And nothing since.
Sponsored

Caneman88

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Powerboost F150 Platinum ,2009 370Z
Occupation
Pella Windows and Doors
I'm sitting at 2.4.5 also from last week got 3 last week then nothing

gtotco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat 502A FX4 3.5L
I suspect they are trying to fix the notifications for 2.5.2 so they are informative as to why it fails. I know there were a number from the first group that got stuck on this (myself included) with no indication as to why it wouldn’t install. My guess is they are adding an interim update so it explains why it is failing so it isn’t just two weeks of guess and check trying to figure out what the issue was which is what I had. Pure speculation but given confusion on this I wouldn’t be surprised.

Also going to say my initial review of BlueCruise is that I can’t believe they released this on Job 2 trucks as a general release. It really is very “beta-y”. I get why in early versions it was turning off in curves because I still don’t think it takes them very well. I’ve found myself hovering over it because it tends to oversteer itself through the corner and then correct on the way out and while I don’t think it crosses the line it feels very unsafe in traffic. TBH Ford should never have promised this product in 6 months because I think gun to their heads they know this is not ready for prime time. I think they basically had to make a judgement of “is it worse to release a half baked product or have people pissed off about late timelines” and made the judgement Tesla did and said “better to have a half baked product”. I doubt there are going to be many (or any?) accidents so it is probably the right calculation in the world where everyone needs everything now and bitches and moans incessantly online if they can’t get it, but at least in my limited experience I would say it isn’t awful but also is not what I would call production ready.

I treat this as a beta and so find myself being overly cautious but I don’t think most people are going to have that approach and in that regard I’m not 100% sure I would say it is production ready. It is close enough that I think another 3-6 months it will probably be great but I would have rather they just waited until it was there than push it out as a general release.

We also live in a world with thousands of cars driving Tesla FSD with similarly untrained drivers in significantly more demanding environments performing in plenty of videos widely available on YouTube in ways that are significantly more dangerous than drifting a bit in a lane so I am also clearly out of touch as to what constitutes “safe” in 2022.

I just think automakers generally (Ford is far from the only one or even the most egregious) are trying to push these technologies to generate hype and then can’t back away on their promises because of what they fear it will do to their price. At the end of the day it’s ultimately not that many people that die (again see Tesla) and so it is probably fine, but just not the approach I would take with the problem. Anyway, not that anyone asked but those are my two cents.

Edit: just to clarify I don’t think it is “bad” just maybe a system that is 95% of the way there when I think when safety is an issue like this it should be 99% (or 99.99%) of the way there. Again - not saying other automakers have done better, they arguably have done worse. Tesla has released more dangerous systems with the caveat of “hands on so it’s okay” and SuperCruise was by all accounts rougher when it first hit the market. Ford is playing same game as others, I just think maybe all automakers should relax a bit on pushing these systems to market.

Last edited:
OP
OP
JDinNFLA

JDinNFLA

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum Star White 3.5 EB
Good points. But BC has been in job 2 vehicles (F150&MME) since last July. No major issues. Many positive reviews in general. It shouldn’t be this difficult to add BC to job 1 vehicles. Ford has engineered these vehicles years ago. Yet here we are with issues. And how hard is it for them to communicate what’s going on? If they have to rewrite software as you suggest job 1 vehicles won’t have BC for months or more. Unacceptable I for one will off this truck and never buy anything from them again. And I’m not the guy they want to lose. Bought 10 Fords last 11 years.

Sponsored

gtotco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Good points. But BC has been in job 2 vehicles (F150&MME) since last July. No major issues. Many positive reviews in general. It shouldn’t be this difficult to add BC to job 1 vehicles. Ford has engineered these vehicles years ago. Yet here we are with issues. And how hard is it for them to communicate what’s going on? If they have to rewrite software as you suggest job 1 vehicles won’t have BC for months or more. Unacceptable I for one will off this truck and never buy anything from them again. And I’m not the guy they want to lose. Bought 10 Fords last 11 years.
Sorry my point was more that they shouldn’t have been in Job 2 and they were shipped out. We just have differing views of unacceptable. I would say the product is, you would say the timeline. I would say the rushed timeline drives the product. Reviews I think reflect where I differ from general population which is that I think most people prioritize convenience over safety and quality.

I do think the rollout issues are separate and it is an OTA issue because of the all the module updates. I just think Tesla really screwed the industry by setting unrealistic expectations and deadlines and realizing it is better to release half baked projects six months late than 2 years late. The problem is taking that same mentality to engineers who would rather get it right and they are just stuck in the middle. I actually think the quality on my truck has been great and have few complaints overall, just think the product shouldn’t have been rolled out to anyone until it was done. Farley seems like a fool though and I’m sure he was just pushing this as “we are releasing an EV we have to have tech to market it”! Generally I think Fords engineering has been great (which is why I would buy another one) but god their business side is a mess. This is why GM was smart to put an engineer in charge of their business. They have been super slow to roll out SuperCruise - we are on what 4 years now of it mostly being in an obscure Cadillac with a few small additions last year in the Escalade and the Bolt. I think this is the way to run a company vs promises of a future that just generally doesn’t exist yet followed by a botched layout. It’s been good for the share price so I guess in that regard this fool was right but yeah I think he did a shit job communicating and if I was a shareholder looking at ten years out I wouldn’t want him running the company. Jim Farley more like Chris Farley amirite.

Slappy McGee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
I think this is the way to run a company vs promises of a future that just generally doesn’t exist yet followed by a botched layout. It’s been good for the share price so I guess in that regard this fool was right but yeah I think he did a shit job communicating and if I was a shareholder looking at ten years out I wouldn’t want him running the company. Jim Farley more like Chris Farley amirite.
Chris was actually Jim's cousin so they're related (and there's a funny meme that Chris actually faked his death to go work at Ford).

But as a former Bolt owner, I would say GM is just as guilty of making promises they don't meet, and then have significant engineering "challenges" as they bought my and many other Bolts back and I beleive still have a stop sale on them.

gtotco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chris was actually Jim's cousin so they're related (and there's a funny meme that Chris actually faked his death to go work at Ford).

But as a former Bolt owner, I would say GM is just as guilty of making promises they don't meet, and then have significant engineering "challenges" as they bought my and many other Bolts back and I beleive still have a stop sale on them.
Haha did not realize that, that’s funny and fitting.

I mean the battery recalls are a bit of a separate issue, especially because didn’t a lot do that ultimately fall on LG? But yeah point taken; the auto industry generally has maybe generally always been full of shady marketers, which is maybe why Elon found his niche there. Consumers have rarely seemed to value quality over convenience in their vehicles, which is maybe why we have all these upset people here today.
Sponsored