• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

BMW iX goes 345 miles in InsideEVs 70mph range test

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
Maybe not a competitor in the EV truck sense, but the iX is a large-ish family vehicle in the same price range as the Lariat ER/Platinum trim. Seriously impressive range numbers for a vehicle this size. Tom saw 345 miles at 70 mph and Car & Driver had seen 290 miles at 75 mph in their testing. Now that we're seeing some real world 70mph range numbers coming out for the Lightning, 250ish miles (maybe 270 for a Lariat), for people who were hoping to get 300 highway miles something like the iX may be an alternative if they aren't tied to a truck.

Sponsored

Firestop

First Name
Firestop
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 L Lariat ER; Honda Accord Touring
Maybe not a competitor in the EV truck sense, but the iX is a large-ish family vehicle in the same price range as the Lariat ER/Platinum trim. Seriously impressive range numbers for a vehicle this size. Tom saw 345 miles at 70 mph and Car & Driver had seen 290 miles at 75 mph in their testing. Now that we're seeing some real world 70mph range numbers coming out for the Lightning, 250ish miles (maybe 270 for a Lariat), for people who were hoping to get 300 highway miles something like the iX may be an alternative if they aren't tied to a truck.

I get the desire for some to “wish” for a higher highway range for the Lightning, people have been setting themselves up to be disappointed.

EPA Estimated Highway MPGe - 63: 63 mi/33.7kWh = 1.8694362018 mi/kWh

Most of what I’ve been seeing from real world driver non-tow experiences shared on this forum are “burn” rates between 1.6-1.9 mi/kWh, so the EPA test estimate is fairly close.

The EPA testing only briefly attains/sustains 70-80 mph, not anywhere what these real world tests people are conducting. No one at Ford ever promised the Lightning would have a sustained 75 mph 300-320 mile highway range, so I don’t understand anyone’s surprise or disappointment that it doesn’t……

Do I wish it would? YES! Disappointed? NO!

OP
OP
LightningShow

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
EPA MPGe includes charging losses so the projected driving efficiency is actually ~2.2 mi/kwh based on the EPA highway rating. EPA highway range should be about 285 miles and most EVs have been able to meet EPA highway range in the 70mph range tests (aside from Teslas). Thus far I would say that the Lightning has been underperforming expectations based on how other EVs have performed in highway driving. The iX not only beat its EPA highway range, it significantly beat its combined range. The iX has almost the same combined range as the Lightning Lariat (324 vs 320) but the iX did 345 in the 70mph test and it looks like the Lariat will probably be in the 270-280 range based on how the Platinum did.

OP
OP
LightningShow

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
I really liked the iX... Until I saw the crystal knobs and buttons. Those things are atrocious.
The styling is definitely not my cup of tea.

Sponsored

Firestop

First Name
Firestop
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 L Lariat ER; Honda Accord Touring
EPA MPGe includes charging losses so the projected driving efficiency is actually ~2.2 mi/kwh based on the EPA highway rating. EPA highway range should be about 285 miles and most EVs have been able to meet EPA highway range in the 70mph range tests (aside from Teslas). Thus far I would say that the Lightning has been underperforming expectations based on how other EVs have performed in highway driving. The iX not only beat its EPA highway range, it significantly beat its combined range. The iX has almost the same combined range as the Lightning Lariat (324 vs 320) but the iX did 345 in the 70mph test and it looks like the Lariat will probably be in the 270-280 range based on how the Platinum did.
I agree many EVs have done well, maybe exceeded expectations, but the function and the areodynamics of the Lightning’s, design is not a fair comparison to the iX and most other EVs currently on the market…IMHO…apples to oranges.

I do understand the desire that this truck had more range at highway speeds that many of us drive on the freeway when allowed…I wish it could too…I wish I would have been pleasantly surprised…I’m just not disappointed based what I’ve read about it over the last year…..

OP
OP
LightningShow

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
I agree many EVs have done well, maybe exceeded expectations, but the function and the areodynamics of the Lightning’s, design is not a fair comparison to the iX and most other EVs currently on the market…IMHO…apples to oranges.

I do understand the desire that this truck had more range at highway speeds that many of us drive on the freeway when allowed…I wish it could too…I wish I would have been pleasantly surprised…I’m just not disappointed based what I’ve read about it over the last year…..
Regardless of what the EPA numbers are *supposed* to mean, it’s clear manufacturers are in control of the numbers and it’s been standard practice to sandbag. It appears Ford broke with that tradition on the Lightning. I don’t think there has been anything public to indicate this would be the case. Even as recently as the San Antonio event in May, Tom Moloughney said he though he could get 2.4 mi/kwh in the 70 mph test (after driving the truck!). So, seeing OutofSpec get 1.9 mi/kwh in their range test (maybe 2.0-2.1 in a non-Platinum trim) is definitely missing expectations IMO.

I’m not sure it’s a huge deal but i would’ve at least liked to have seen the truck meet its EPA highway range in the 70-mph test. The Platinum fell 17 miles short.

gorwell

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5 / XLT Standard
I’m not sure it’s a huge deal but i would’ve at least liked to have seen the truck meet its EPA highway range in the 70-mph test. The Platinum fell 17 miles short.

Wouldn't call 17 miles short a failure. I would say that's hitting EPA range. 17 miles is within a margin of error in just conditions on the road. Plus +-17 miles is generally meaningless in terms of range. It's not often you'd be fully depleting your battery before a charge while road tripping. 150kw+ chargers dont have the saturation to hit one every 5% of capacity to really run it near 0.

Town and country did a test with the standard range lariat. Got 2.4 miles/kwh at 70mph.

They even leveled and put some bigger tires on and got 2.0miles/kwh

OP
OP
LightningShow

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
Wouldn't call 17 miles short a failure. I would say that's hitting EPA range. 17 miles is within a margin of error in just conditions on the road. Plus +-17 miles is generally meaningless in terms of range. It's not often you'd be fully depleting your battery before a charge while road tripping. 150kw+ chargers dont have the saturation to hit one every 5% of capacity to really run it near 0.

Town and country did a test with the standard range lariat. Got 2.4 miles/kwh at 70mph.

They even leveled and put some bigger tires on and got 2.0miles/kwh

I didn't call it a failure just not meeting expectations. If it turns out the that the Pro/XLT/Lariat ER will do 2.2-2.4 mi/kwh at 70, or even 65mph then I'll retract my claim of under delivering.

I don't think I saw the Town and Country range test but I did just see one on the E-Hermes channel where he did a pretty short ride (20 miles) towing a pop-up one direction and unladen in the other (Lariat ER). He was at 2.4 with the trailer and 2.5 without (he said ~55mph). Based on all the various range tests and owner posts I've seen my current expectation for my Lariat ER is ~2.0 mi/kwh at a constant 70mph.

I think everyone expected the SR to have a bit better efficiency but I'd be surprised if the full-on range tests show that it's 20% higher.
Sponsored